What's new

Jumping into straight razors

It's hard to tell from that sketch. Do you have a photo of the razor?
If it's a vintage razor you can have what we refer to as devil's spit and/or pitting at the edge. This needs to be evaluated on case by case basis.
If you dinged the blade during handling you will most likely need to rehone it, or strop the living daylight out off it:)
Yeah, I am a bit unsure about what part I actually hit, to be honest. I just assume that since those marks are there that I may have hit the edge. One was in the sink and another in the mirror but I think the mirrior one was the "front" of the straight, so I don't know if that had any damaging effect, considering the spot. The sink I am unsure. I'll see if I can provide a picture.

Either way I think I'll stick to removing the lather with a cloth or aquire a swamp from now on, like I saw one guy use in a shaving video on here. To avoid that matter.

As for stropping it, I have lost a bit of confidence in this strop. Or rather, the whole set up of it. Starting to wonder if I should get a paddle strop of some kind instead. Dont have that many spots to hang it up anyway, other than the key inside the bathroom door... And wonder if the flakes gotta be fixed, from the images.

Last edited:
@JPO
If you look at the first picture here, thats my main concern, in terms of the edge. I'll throw in a couple of more pictures, based around the edge on both sides.
20241008_183144.jpg

20241008_182854.jpg

20241008_183147.jpg
20241008_183150.jpg

Other side:

20241008_183256.jpg
20241008_183254.jpg

I hope that these pictures are good enough to show what I tried to illustrate.

You have dinged the edge. The razor needs to be honed to fix this.
Hmm, I see. Can this also occure if the straight nicks into the leather, cause the chain of event is leather and then the ding in the sink and mirrior, as mentioned before. Will the Arkansas be enough to fix the issue?

Hmm, I see. Can this also occure if the straight nicks into the leather, cause the chain of event is leather and then the ding in the sink and mirrior, as mentioned before. Will the Arkansas be enough to fix the issue?
If you just cut into the strop you will probably not be able to create this much damage. Everything is possible, but not likely.
You would need to spend allot of time to fix this with your Ark.
Dressing one side coarse might help, but using coarser stones would make things much easier.

NB: "svamp" is "sponge". Falske venner!

Wiping the lather off on a sheet of toilet paper also works well.
Haha yeah, nice spot. Writing fast in a second language, while thinking, isn't always wise. 🤣

Yup, looks like you have dinged (red arrow) and rolled the edge, (blue arrows) and there is a lot of deep stria on the bevel, (green arrows).

Was the razor pro honed?

Your strop looks like an inexpensive strop and there is rust on the hardware. Rust is abrasive and if it gets on the leather, it can trash an edge.

A strop and proper stropping are your last chance to perfect the edge prior to it touching your face.

The quality of the strop will definitely affect the quality of the edge. A good beginner strop, with replaceable linen and leather, are available from Tony Miller in the $50 range.

20” of paracord or a shoelace attached to the strop and looped over a doorknob will put the strop at waist level and perfect height for stropping.

Learning to strop is the most important skill you must master, it is not unusual for a new stropper to roll an edge, it can happen in a single stroke. A rolled edge at best is uncomfortable and at worst will cut you.

Your razor at least need to reset the edge on a finish stone.

20241008_183144 A.jpg

Reactions: Fen
Yup, looks like you have dinged (red arrow) and rolled the edge, (blue arrows) and there is a lot of deep stria on the bevel, (green arrows).

Was the razor pro honed?

Your strop looks like an inexpensive strop and there is rust on the hardware. Rust is abrasive and if it gets on the leather, it can trash an edge.

A strop and proper stropping are your last chance to perfect the edge prior to it touching your face.

The quality of the strop will definitely affect the quality of the edge. A good beginner strop, with replaceable linen and leather, are available from Tony Miller in the $50 range.

20” of paracord or a shoelace attached to the strop and looped over a doorknob will put the strop at waist level and perfect height for stropping.

Learning to strop is the most important skill you must master, it is not unusual for a new stropper to roll an edge, it can happen in a single stroke. A rolled edge at best is uncomfortable and at worst will cut you.

Your razor at least need to reset the edge on a finish stone.

View attachment 1925185
More than likely, I'd bet the roll is from stropping.

I bought it from an Norwegian salessite, similar to etsy/craigslist, if I'd use a site comparison.

The guy that honed it has a bunch of straights for sale there, but only mine and another was shave ready. Didnt't purchase the other one, after talking to my "sponsor", @JPO.

Because the second looked like it had some issues. That being said, from what I recall, there was no indication of stria, on the sales images. (I've got no idea what it is?)

Last edited:
That being said, from what I recall, there was no indication of stria, on the sales images. (I've got no idea what it is?)
As long as the scratch/stria don't reach the edge it might be fine. It's just a sign that the guy who honed the razor didn't remove all the coarse scratches from the bevel setting work.

Top Bottom