What's new

It Starts

I have quite a few boars, and while they tend to be cheaper than badger brushes, you can find some reasonable badger brushes. Search Yaqi and the store brands at Maggards. I purchased many of my boars from Yourshaving.com, which tended to be cheaper than state-side sites.

I have quite a few boars, and while they tend to be cheaper than badger brushes, you can find some reasonable badger brushes. Search Yaqi and the store brands at Maggards. I purchased many of my boars from Yourshaving.com, which tended to be cheaper than state-side sites.
I have actually got a new brush (see tomorrow's journal). I'm favouring boar presently because I'm focussing on hard soaps, for now. I'm enjoying the stiffer bristles. Thanks.

Journal 6

I was breaking in the small boar brush. I had looked at a couple of youtube videos about it. It entails soaking for a couple days, then lathering, rinsing and a session of deliberate abrasion. This is to accelerate splitting the ends of the bristles as would occur over time with normal use. So I had the little brush soaking in the fridge.

And I was looking at getting another brush. I wanted something with a bit more loft, a bit more volume than the mystery brush. A larger knot and a bit more backbone. A regular sort of brush that I could quantify and understand. I was starting to make a list for my first online purchase of products, it was still a ways off. I needed a brush sooner. I did some digging, I found out that 2 of the local pharmacy chains carried basic wet shaving products. Some of the products in the local pharmacy are also carried by the specialty online seller. Including brushes. It turns out that the exact brush I was looking at online was available locally for a little less money. So I got it! It’s a fantastic brush, the Omega 05. I found out later that it’s the first brush my brother got years ago too. And because I had just learned how to break in a boar brush (I had the small one soaking in the fridge), I got right to breaking in the new one.

There is some debate of whether manually breaking in a brush is worthwhile or not. I like it. The little 3-day system I used wasn’t too much work and I really think it accelerated the breaking in process, in a controlled way. I even continued extra breaking in. After a regular shave, I use a wash cloth against the edge of the sink and do a quick session of that abrasion. My boar brushes have softened really nicely, quite fast.

One of the the other products that my pharmacy also carries is Proraso. Proraso Green is an iconic soap that I was going to get anyway, and I also wanted it for its’ container, for a replacement hard soap. So I made that offline purchase too.

Yes, and here's my modest assortment: synthetic, mystery, small and medium boar. I'm good for a while.

what I bought.JPG4 brushes.JPG

Journal 6 addendum

Although I want to support my good online retailer, it was nice shopping at bricks and mortar. There were 4 of my brushes in stock from which I could select. Some of these handles are quite blonde. I chose the brownest one, without blemishes.

Journal 6

I was breaking in the small boar brush. I had looked at a couple of youtube videos about it. It entails soaking for a couple days, then lathering, rinsing and a session of deliberate abrasion. This is to accelerate splitting the ends of the bristles as would occur over time with normal use. So I had the little brush soaking in the fridge.

And I was looking at getting another brush. I wanted something with a bit more loft, a bit more volume than the mystery brush. A larger knot and a bit more backbone. A regular sort of brush that I could quantify and understand. I was starting to make a list for my first online purchase of products, it was still a ways off. I needed a brush sooner. I did some digging, I found out that 2 of the local pharmacy chains carried basic wet shaving products. Some of the products in the local pharmacy are also carried by the specialty online seller. Including brushes. It turns out that the exact brush I was looking at online was available locally for a little less money. So I got it! It’s a fantastic brush, the Omega 05. I found out later that it’s the first brush my brother got years ago too. And because I had just learned how to break in a boar brush (I had the small one soaking in the fridge), I got right to breaking in the new one.

There is some debate of whether manually breaking in a brush is worthwhile or not. I like it. The little 3-day system I used wasn’t too much work and I really think it accelerated the breaking in process, in a controlled way. I even continued extra breaking in. After a regular shave, I use a wash cloth against the edge of the sink and do a quick session of that abrasion. My boar brushes have softened really nicely, quite fast.

One of the the other products that my pharmacy also carries is Proraso. Proraso Green is an iconic soap that I was going to get anyway, and I also wanted it for its’ container, for a replacement hard soap. So I made that offline purchase too.

Yes, and here's my modest assortment: synthetic, mystery, small and medium boar. I'm good for a while.

View attachment 1864944View attachment 1864943
I see an Omega 10005 brush in your collection. This is a really decent boar brush. At its low price, it allows you to get a wonderful foam from any cream or soap.

Journal 7

The Wilkinson TTO was treating me well. No drama, no blood. My shaving routine was settling down; tidier, less water and soap all over the place. I was just a dozen or 15 shaves in at that point. But like a lot of guys, I was jumping in with both feet. I was reading lots of reviews, examining the available products. I started making a list for my first online order. I wanted to buy a shiny new razor, very basic, to compare with the Wilkie. I needed a blade sampler. I would talk on the phone with my brother about my ideas; the hard soaps I was interested in, containers for them. I was planning to use the same online retailer that he did, he would get reward points for referring me.

He told me he was preparing another package of goodies for me. Again, it was brilliant. It totally eclipsed the list I was making for my first order. Of course he sent me another razor, even more benchmark than the Wilkie, like new; it was the Edwin Jagger DE89, with box. This is his favourite, he has several examples of it, the one he sent me in faux ivory. There was a empty Wilkinson tub with 3 different part-used soaps in it. There was about a quarter left of the Mr.Taylor’s. It’s a super nice soap, has a deep herbal, cedar thing going on. It lathers so well. Still lots of shaves left and it’s a very good container. It will be a pleasure to finish that soap and get a new puck in there.

And he sent me a 76-blade sampler: 25 Astra SP, 10 each of 5 others and one Feather. I think it was his last Feather, not his favourite blade. As of this writing, I think it was two? three weeks ago I got the package, I still have hardly started on the new blades. Of them, I have only tried the Astra SP, I haven’t finished one blade yet. I’m determined to compare the razors with control. And then flip that control to the razor, and compare the blades.

The wildcard in these comparisons is my evolving technique.

J7 pkg 2.JPG

Journal 8

My brother told me what he was sending me before he sent it. A fine razor and blade selection were going to be a change for me, but the arrival of four (or three rather), relatively luxurious hard soaps was going to require some action. My idea was to have a neat selection of hard soap to reside permanently in their respective tubs, on my shelf; to have at hand and from which to choose.

I was getting used to / breaking in my boar brushes. I was experimenting with basic soap and trying to finish the Wilkinson soap to free up the container for a new and better soap. But now that I was suddenly getting a bunch of new soap, freeing that Wilkinson container became more urgent. But I can only shave so much.

So in the days before the arrival of Pkg. No. 2 I had a couple few sessions of lather practise with the Wilkie soap and boar brushes. Not on my face but in the bowl and on my hand. I was successful. The container was free and I stuck the dregs of the soap on my bath bar. Funny, I could detect the difference in my bath soap in those next couple showers.

In the blue Wilkie container my brother had sent were the better part of three pucks of soap: Haslinger Coconut, Fendrihan Sandalwood, and William’s. I had to figure a way to store and use these soaps. And this is what it became.

I importantly put the Taylor’s on the other side of the Proraso. I put the Haslinger’s and Fendrihan in the Wilkie tubs. I wrapped the William’s in foil and labelled it. But where to stow it? Ah! the Proraso box. This is where the old / dry soaps could live. I nested the Erasmic stick in there with the William’s. Beautiful. Done.

I was now free to explore the EJ DE89 in the context of my existing razor and blade, and newly acquired small selection of fine soaps.

J8 what it became.JPGJ8 dry soap box.JPG

Journal 9

Thanks guys for following along. I hope my detailed descriptions aren’t annoying. I’m trying to stay close to the heart of the story. And finish it.

Here are more details, of intent. I wanted a fun record with chronology, for myself; I know that without such a thing, details get confused, memories are lost. I wanted to entertain experienced shavers with my nonsense and participate with them. Thanks for that, by the way. Last but importantly, I wanted to offer something to other novice DE shavers. I don’t think guys should do what I do, at all. And I know not all new guys have the benefit of being gifted a couple hundred dollars worth of ideal shaving kit to kickstart their learning. But I’m diggin’ this and I’ve had some really good moments. New guys may not find one place with such kooky ideas and choices. Back to the story.

The Wilkinson TTO was performing real well as a introductory razor. I had only used it with the Derby Extra blades. It seemed like a good combination. I wasn’t rushing my shaves and so was able to avoid any serious carnage on my face. I was getting four reasonably comfortable shaves before wanting to pitch the blade. And now I had the Edwin Jagger to compare.

The EJ didn’t seem to enjoy the Derby blades as much as the Wilkie. It felt like I was getting more tugging, the Derbies just didn’t seem as sharp in the EJ.

I’m still a novice though so difficult to be certain.

My brother and I started talking about vintage razors. I knew almost nothing but I told him that I remembered our dad had a TTO razor, I didn’t know what brand or model. But my brother is few years older and his memory of these things is a bit clearer. He told me our dad used a Gillette Rocket. Right away I thought I should get the same. My dad hardly looked at me growing up but I admire him. It’s not just that he brought me into this world. He served in the second war, had quite a ride. I owe him a lot. And all the others and everything that came before me.

Shaving doesn’t seem important right now. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Journal 10

After my brother told me what he was sending me in Pkg. 2, I had to rejig my shopping list for my first online order. I placed my order. And I had suddenly got keenly interested in vintage Gillette.

I would love to find a boxful of vintage adjustables for three dollars, like I read about all the time. Not gonna happen. Saling and flea markets are not practically available to me.

There were a few items available locally to me on Craigslist and Facebook. I hadn’t got anything from ebay in years and started there. I found a good seller, not far from me. Boom! I had three vintage Gillette at my door in two days.

Now I understand that even a well-priced vintage razor on ebay is going to be two-, three- or more times as much as a good yard sale find. But ebay has advantages. I did a little cost comparison with similar items from my retail order. I’ll show it in another journal.

I had been cramming knowledge of vintage Gillette, finding out which ones were most desirable for me. Although Red-Tip Super Speed and Adjustables were known to me, I was looking at the low-end iconic Gillettes: Tech, Super Speed and, yeah, a Rocket: an homage to my old man. These 40s - 50s Gillettes are fascinating; their design, shave quality, production quality and popularity in the marketplace are delightful.

And those were the three razors I found on ebay. Sort of. The photos on ebay of the razors were detailed and revealed all their blemishes. When I opened the shipping package, all of them were nicer than I expected.

The well-used Tech was this exactly. Without getting into aspects of identifying and dating these razors, I like to call mine a Late 40s Ball End Tech, in nickel. In the original photos from the ad, it looked like there was tiny pitting in the nickel plate on the cap; which it may be but is really just the nickel plating wearing thin. And the plating is indeed wearing thin on the leading edges of the cap and guard. One can see small areas of brass revealed near the ends. The tops of the bars are hanging onto the thinnest of nickel.

In my mind, this well-worn plating seems to glide upon my skin and soap, rather better than shiny new plating. It just looks like this razor had got very regular use by one or more guys over a period of decades. And now it’s up to me.

Journal 8

My brother told me what he was sending me before he sent it. A fine razor and blade selection were going to be a change for me, but the arrival of four (or three rather), relatively luxurious hard soaps was going to require some action. My idea was to have a neat selection of hard soap to reside permanently in their respective tubs, on my shelf; to have at hand and from which to choose.

I was getting used to / breaking in my boar brushes. I was experimenting with basic soap and trying to finish the Wilkinson soap to free up the container for a new and better soap. But now that I was suddenly getting a bunch of new soap, freeing that Wilkinson container became more urgent. But I can only shave so much.

So in the days before the arrival of Pkg. No. 2 I had a couple few sessions of lather practise with the Wilkie soap and boar brushes. Not on my face but in the bowl and on my hand. I was successful. The container was free and I stuck the dregs of the soap on my bath bar. Funny, I could detect the difference in my bath soap in those next couple showers.

In the blue Wilkie container my brother had sent were the better part of three pucks of soap: Haslinger Coconut, Fendrihan Sandalwood, and William’s. I had to figure a way to store and use these soaps. And this is what it became.

I importantly put the Taylor’s on the other side of the Proraso. I put the Haslinger’s and Fendrihan in the Wilkie tubs. I wrapped the William’s in foil and labelled it. But where to stow it? Ah! the Proraso box. This is where the old / dry soaps could live. I nested the Erasmic stick in there with the William’s. Beautiful. Done.

I was now free to explore the EJ DE89 in the context of my existing razor and blade, and newly acquired small selection of fine soaps.

View attachment 1866008View attachment 1866007
I am very sorry that I do not have such a wonderful brother and no one helped me at the beginning of my shaving journey.

Top Bottom