What's new

In Turkey you give your guests After Shave

attachment.php

I just picked some up from another source. I haven't used it as AS yet, but I can say the scent is fantastic. It's very fresh, not at all like Pledge or similar.

Last edited:
Right. Some people still using as an after shave. Maybe not work for aftershave on everybody because high alcohol about 70-80 degree :lol:

Freshening, cleaning, scent, disinfecting, also cooling-relaxing when you get little sick, when feel bad.... On holidays everybody dressing with new clothings and visiting each other, treating cologne, sugar, sweet... And give money to children tradition :))

I remember some of that now. I lived in Izmir for two years back in the early 1970's, courtsey of the Turkish Govt. and the USAF. My wife and I enjoyed a lot of the customs which were strange, or at least different to us. Many of the small shopkeepers would serve tea when you visited, a few wanted to serve Raki which we did not care for. Some of the holidays were enjoyable with the special breads or candies made for the occasion.

You have a beautiful country, what part do you live in? We got out and camped, and traveled a bit especially around the Izmir area. We enjoyed the Agean coast a lot during the summer, and also Pammakuale(sp). We spent a little time in Istanbul, and made a trip to Cappodecia(sp), Probably misspelling, it's been a long time. I had to make a business trip down to Adana once and got to see a little of the eastern Med. coast that week.

One of our favorite wintertime pastimes was to hunt wild boar in the mountains, as well as the large Euroasian doves that flocked around the grain fields every autum.

There are times when we wish we could return and see how the country may have changed, and of course have a good meal od donner-ka-bob.

I just picked some up from another source. I haven't used it as AS yet, but I can say the scent is fantastic. It's very fresh, not at all like Pledge or similar.

I remember to give myself a splash as an after shave this morning and yes, there was burn, but it was at an acceptable level as compared to many other AS.

In fact, it is not just for guests, so it is only partly a custom of hospitality. You may see people having bottles of Kolonya on their desks in the offices.
Kolonya is perceived to have some sort of relieving scent and feeling. As a Turkish guy, I just don't like it.
It is not usually used as an aftershave, as far as I am concerned.
I think one misleading thing about Kolonya is that its spelling is similar to that of "cologne". However, in Turkish, the English word "cologne" is actually "parfum". So there is a fine line.

This is most interesting!

I picked up an inexpensive 400ml bottle of Duru Kolonyia Limon at a family owned Turkish store in Hannover last year. Knowing better, I still tried it once as an aftershave which did not work well, but it is not meant as that anyway.

As a splash, it certainly is refreshing and unique in its scent, as opposed to so many mainstream scents the industry is offering.

I am sure I will find more use for it now that winter is over and actually like the idea of taking it to the office on hot days -- we have no air, and at 92° F you start to appreciate any type of refreshment ;)

Yes it's cologne. Lemon (limon) is very popular in here. Tobacco cologne too. But lemon in every house :)) Popular because cologne is traditional in Türkiye and not expensive scent. After meal, after toilet, restaurants, old barbers... give your palm cologne and sometimes sugar :) And old times was using as aftershave balm Arko Krem, Arko Nem (moisturizer). Still popular in army, hands, faces...

I realise this is an old thread that's been dug up, so there is a decent chance I won't get an answer, but I am very interested in the Tobacco cologne mentioned here.

I realise this is an old thread that's been dug up, so there is a decent chance I won't get an answer, but I am very interested in the Tobacco cologne mentioned here.

The tobacco (tütün) kolonya doesn't get a lot of love, but I have a big bottle and I love the way it smells on me. My wife also approves. It smells like sweet tobacco leaf.
It's not so easy to find on-line, but see if you can find a few European/Turkish markets (or barbers) in your area, and there's a good chance you can get some of this.

I have bought some and try to use it when swmbo doesn't abscond with it. It's a great,light scent and pretty unisex but not too flowery or cloying.

Top Bottom