What's new

I have no idea why anybody likes Voskhod blades!

If you've tried a brand of blade in every razor you use, and if it's done poorly in all of them, and if you gave it another shot just in case it was your quality of lather (QoL) that was to blame—then it's reasonable to "never use another".

But it's been my experience that an awful blade in one razor can be wonderful in a different razor.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
All of my Voskhods are old. I got them way back when they first got popular. They are not amazing by any stretch. But the are solid blades for me. Maybe there are bad batches and mine are good. But they are cheap enough that if you don’t like them, no harm no foul. Especially if they were thrown in with a razor or whatever. I often try to throw in a few varied tucks when I sell a razor. Truth is, I have so many blades now, I will never use them all. And I have so many amazing blades now that the Voskhods don’t see much action these days for me. But I do like them. Especially in an aggressive razor as mentioned above. I’ll have to dig some out. I do operate this way. I forget about a soap, blade, brush, razor, then someone posts a thread and I revisit.

I was thinking that I might as well yank the hairs out individually with a clam shell, like Fred Flintstone!

Remember you have to put a bee inside before shaving for the smoothest, most comfortable clam shell shave, LOL.

I tried Voskhod some years ago and recall arriving at a similar conclusion...at least for me, they are not a favorite. These days I reach for an injector 99.99% of the time but if using a DE my number one blade by far is the Nacet, a very sharp and smooth blade.

After discovering how well Voshkods do in slant razors, I rarely use them in a straight bar razor anymore. Not taking anything away from how they performed in straight bar razors, they did just fine. But they shine like no other I've found in a slant. So that's kinda where they've been relegated to in my shave den.

They were on my short list of samples 10 years ago. Saw a deal for 300 on the bay. Must have been a bad batch. Very tuggy on 1st, lessening on 2-3 and disposed of after 4. I used 2 blades per tuck in all razors (I only use aggressive ones) with same results. Scrapped them and moved on. Much better blades to choose from.

I recall getting my Voskhods as part of a group buy before they were readily available. I haven't used one in years. It was a second choice blade for this morning. My first choice blade was for another thread but it only went half a cheek before being trashed.

The Voskhod didn't feel great, but it didn't feel bad. It left a lot of stubble after the first pass. I also hadn't shaved in a week, so it was a heavy beard to deal with. While the blade was cutting, it was not super sharp or efficient. It also felt like I couldn't cut myself with it. It felt "safe." I had to take half of a 4th pass in a weird angle to get the stubble around my Addam's Apple. I don't usually do that, but any other blade would cause a lot of irritation. Today I have none. Weird.

I don't remember any shaves with it from years ago. I think it's a usable blade, but probably really needs a "matched set" razor.

After discovering how well Voshkods do in slant razors, I rarely use them in a straight bar razor anymore. Not taking anything away from how they performed in straight bar razors, they did just fine. But they shine like no other I've found in a slant. So that's kinda where they've been relegated to in my shave den.
I don't really care for them at all until I tried one in my 37c and got a terrific shave with it - I was very surprised!

I know a fair number of people post positively about Voskhod blades but I just don't understand it. I got a tuck of these blades thrown in with something else I bought a long time ago. Tried one back then, or maybe two, and thought they were awful, but I didn't throw the rest of the blades away.

The other day I saw them sitting there and I thought that maybe my tastes may have changed or maybe my technique is different, and i would be using it in a razor I didn't even own back then, etc, so I decided to load one up and give it another go.

Yikes. What an awful freaking blade. This has to be the dullest blade I have ever tried in my 15 years of traditional shaving. It tugs and pulls like no other. By the end of the shave, I was thinking that I might as well yank the hairs out individually with a clam shell, like Fred Flintstone!

This morning, against my better judgement, I decided to see if it would be smoother on a second shave. Well, it was, but only a tiny bit. It was still tuggy and uncomfortable.

I will never use another Voskhod blade.

If you are a person who prefers sharp blades, and you haven't yet tried these, look elsewhere.

Those of you who like them, more power to you, but for the life of me I cannot imagine how anybody could enjoy shaving with this blade. A shard of obsidian would probably be better for me. /rant
As always, YMMV. I do quite well with the Voskhod blades. However, I share your negative sentiment concerning the Shark Super Chrome blades lolz. But, the Sharks work superbly for other gents, whereas the Voskhods don't. Many love the Lord Platinums, me not so much. You gotta love the diversity.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't own any aggressive razors. All my razor fit into a fairly narrow range, from upper mild to lower medium efficiency.... I think that's why I ended up with sharper, but smooth blades. They seem to work in all my razors. I don't experiment much. I don't seem to feel the urge. I only have a handful of different blades in quantities over 100.

Evening headshave and face shave:

Preshave: Razor Emporium mentholated activated charcoal pre shave bar, rubbed into the whiskers.
Lather: Martin de Candre Argumes, whipped up in a warm copper shaving bowl.
Razor: Rex Sentry slant
Blade: Voshkod (first use)
Shave: Started off with my chiseled face. Shaved with the grain, re-lathered, then across the grain. Re-lathered, then against the grain. Hit the ol' dome against, then against again. Then just headhunted for scrap stubble. Good shave.
Aftershave: P&G Old Spice. Two splashes.
Result: Good shave. Not BBS or DFS, but good. Post shave feel is smooth. No burn. My last outing with this Sentry slant was way too aggressive with a Dovo blade. These Voshkods just seem to be made for the twist.

I gave a Voskhod the second go this AM. It was a hurried shave. Hot face wash with Arko soap. Lathered up Derby menthol. The blade felt fine on the second shave. The first was a little tuggy. Potentially this blade is worth stropping or corking for the first shave. Normally I do a third "clean up" pass, but I skipped it today. No complaints!

My Voskhods are fine. I have had these tucks for a while (several years). To me, they seem more like a super stainless blade than a Teflon coated blade. I don't cork them. I don't find them to be mild.

Top Bottom