What's new

Heritage/Service Boots

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Went to the Allen Edmonds store near me today to try on the Higgins Mill boot.

In the pic below, I tried on the 10E (on the left) and the 10.5D (on the right) and the fit was pretty much identical.

View attachment 1919991

The 10.5D is a bit more snug across the foot but that snugness is barely discernible.

I went with the 10E because I would definitely wear a thicker sock in the colder months so the E width would be able to absorb that.

Now get this… the salesperson told me that these two boots were the same color: Brown. 😳

I looked at both boxes and they both said “Brown”. I thought the one on the left was perhaps their Chili color but the salesperson said they were both brown. Perhaps just a different batch of chromexcel leather. 🤷‍♂️

The darker one is definitely more of a “cigar” brown. The lighter boot definitely has more reddish tones (although not quite Chili) and has much more character, imo.

So… the 10E it is! :thumbup1:
View attachment 1919992

The boots come with shoe bags…
View attachment 1920002

The leather is already supple and soft and they are incredibly comfortable right out of the box. View attachment 1919989View attachment 1919990
View attachment 1919996

I look forward to breaking them in and watching the leather develop a nice patina as time goes on and, after a period time, do a comparison with the Alden Indy 405. At the outset, the footbed on the Higgins Mill definitely has a bit more cushion than the Indy 405 boot.
View attachment 1919994
View attachment 1919995View attachment 1919998

With the Indy 405’s mocc toe stitching and the Higgins Mill being a plain toe boot, maybe a cap toe boot in a darker color from Thursday Boot would round out the collection for this boot season. 😀

So… why not the Factory Seconds?

With AE’s current sale, the difference between a pristine pair and the Factory Seconds is about $50 bucks so in the overall scheme of things, it was a negligible amount, so I opted for a a regular pair.

And they do look perfect and I am pleased. . :thumbup1:

Very nice looking boots dude, they seem to be well made, like my Thorogood Loggers. I also agree with your philosophy, if a used pair is not substantially less in cost, not worth buying. Not sure how much those cost you, hopefully less then 400.

Excellent choice! I'm still leaning towards one of the models from Thursday. I have a cheap pair of no-name service boots, which have actually served me well for several years. They have a zipper up the side (and laces) and are scratched up, giving them a funky, well-worn vibe. I'm wearing them on vacation at the end of next week, and I'll decide after that what to do.

British boots are great but you have to be careful with sizing. UK sizes are about a full size smaller than US. Most British lasts are generally more narrow than US lasts (UK F is our D width). If you do end up getting some UK-made boots really do try them on to find out what size you are.

Grant Stone has some amazing heritage boots in some interesting leathers. Probably one of the best bang for buck boots out there.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Went all the day yesterday with the Higgins Mill boot and they were comfortable throughout the entire day. Not a hot spot or a pinch. :thumbup1:

image.jpg

IMG_2149.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom