What's new

Heating method for moka pot?

My friend @malocchio that Kontessa is absolutely STUNNING! And its rounded shapes remind me of my beautiful Bialetti Class.

A beautiful Bialetti ! .... I say to you Marco , without prejudice , Italy made the most beautiful coffee pots and my favorites are the "art deco " styles ... Etsy has many beautiful Italian pots , many rare outside of Italy , unfortunately the shipping cost is astronomical .
Screenshot 2024-10-25 095807.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-25 095515.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-25 095430.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-25 095150.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-25 095001.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-25 094344.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A beautiful Bialetti ! .... I say to you Marco , without prejudice , Italy made the most beautiful coffee pots and my favorites are the "art deco " styles ... Etsy has many beautiful Italian pots , many rare outside of Italy , unfortunately the shipping cost is astronomical . View attachment 1933283View attachment 1933284View attachment 1933285View attachment 1933286View attachment 1933287View attachment 1933288
The Moka pot was invented by the Italian Alfonso Bialetti in 1933. And yes, Italy used to make and still makes the most beautiful coffee pots. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Any gas or electric stovetop will be perfectly fine. :thumbup:
True Marco .... but I have read several times that it is not good to let heat run up the sides of the pot . You need a flame or coil heat equal to or just very slightly larger in circumference to prevent that . A diffuser should work , but some heat will still rise up the sides. I went with the flat electrical mini hot plate which should provide a base almost equal to the coffee pot base .... We'll see very soon !

The Moka pot was invented by the Italian Alfonso Bialetti in 1933. And yes, Italy used to make and still makes the most beautiful ones. :thumbup:
Yes !....... and I'm glad they have beautiful pots now of stainless steel , aluminum is just not for me . Strangely it was a Frenchman who invented the well loved Cuccumella Napolitana
Screenshot 2024-10-25 102108.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-25 101835.jpg
na-tazzulella-e-cafe-cuccumella-napoletana-loren.jpg
, one of which I have always wanted in stainless steel , but the shipping is more than the pot is worth .

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Yes !....... and I'm glad they have beautiful pots now of stainless steel , aluminum is just not for me . Strangely it was a Frenchman who invented the well loved Cuccumella NapolitanaView attachment 1933290View attachment 1933291View attachment 1933292 , one of which I have always wanted in stainless steel , but the shipping is more than the pot is worth .
Ron, same for me: only pots made of stainless steel, no aluminum. And a dear female colleague from Sorrento two years ago gifted me with a true Cuccumella Napoletana, which I do not use but keep as a splendid display piece in my kitchen.

Beto , what is your method of cleaning your Bialetti ?
Dear @malocchio

I wash them by hand, in warm water with a regular dishwashing detergent and scrub with a non-abrasive sponge. Then I let the parts drain upside down and then right side up to make sure they don't develop mold. It is also important to rinse well so that no detergent residue remains on the metal. This would cause a strange smell similar to that of rotten eggs.

I hope I've helped you in some way, my dear friend.

❤️☕

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Dear @malocchio

I wash them by hand, in warm water with a regular dishwashing detergent and scrub with a non-abrasive sponge. Then I let the parts drain upside down and then right side up to make sure they don't develop mold. It is also important to rinse well so that no detergent residue remains on the metal. This would cause a strange smell similar to that of rotten eggs.

❤️☕
Dear Beto, it's exactly what I do, too. And I also use a soft disposable paper napkin to further dry and clean the entire moka pot, especially the outside which I like to always look nice and shiny.

Dear Beto, it's exactly what I do, too. And I also use a soft disposable paper napkin to further dry and clean the entire moka pot, especially the outside which I like to always look nice and shiny.
Thank you very much for the mention, dear Marco. I'm glad to know that we also have a taste for espresso in common, my dear friend.

❤️☕

Dear @malocchio

❤️☕
Grazie Beto !..... I had the same vision for cleaning . On the outside of the pot I will use the best metal cleaner / polisher I have ever used :

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-26 090614.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-10-26 090614.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 0

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
These are some beautiful pots! You gentlemen have good taste. :)

I have a Bialetti but don't remember the model. Basic, 9 cup size. I recall the packaging said it had a thicker bottom than previous models to make it more suitable for an induction element. That's in the future for me; might be a gift to myself in a couple of months.

I will also admit in the spirit of gentlemanly honesty that I bought it in order to convert it to a very good quality, all stainless, strong and durable vacuum pot. Having done that I'm also considering buying yet another one so I can use it as intended. I gave away an old aluminum model that I hadn't used in years, far preferring stainless steel.

I heat it on the electric stove and it seems to work well. Seeing that little element above I'll have to look around and see whether there's something small that would work as a dedicated coffee pot heater, or consider whether a larger unit might be more useful to me. I love research.

Cleaning is simple. Hot water, dish detergent.

O.H.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Grazie Beto !..... I had the same vision for cleaning . On the outside of the pot I will use the best metal cleaner / polisher I have ever used :
Ron, a dear B&B friend years ago sent me two tubs of this Blue Magic, a total novelty for me at the time since it's nowhere to be found here in Italy. A true marvel on any metal, polishes to a diamond shine like nothing else, I was seriously impressed. You are definitely right my friend, it's simply the best.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thank you very much for the mention, dear Marco. I'm glad to know that we also have a taste for espresso in common, my dear friend.

❤️☕
Dear Beto, you can come anytime here in Rome and I'll prepare a truly special coffee for you, artisan made by a family owned business and wood roasted in the old fashioned way. Of course, some more to be grinded, packed and brought back home for you. :cuppa:

Dear Beto, you can come anytime here in Rome and I'll prepare a truly special coffee for you, artisan made by a family owned business and wood roasted in the old fashioned way. Of course, some more to be grinded, packed and brought back home for you. :cuppa:
Signore, does the vendor have a website? I'd be interested in purchasing a sample size (250g) of the beans... or do I need a holiday to Rome?

Ron, a dear B&B friend years ago sent me two tubs of this Blue Magic, a total novelty for me at the time since it's nowhere to be found here in Italy. A true marvel on any metal, polishes to a diamond shine like nothing else, I was seriously impressed. You are definitely right my friend, it's simply the best.
I discovered how good this polish is when I saw guys polishing vintage automobile hub caps . Nothing else restored them to showroom condition like Blue Magic could .

Top Bottom