What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

Karve CB with open comb B plate
Kai
Omega boar
Henri et Victoria Unscented

IMG_4905.jpeg

Had nearly the perfect shave but got sloppy literally on the last stroke and knicked myself.

I don't have all the fancy bowls, brushes and soaps you guys have but do have a decent razor and get good results.

Razorock Lupo .95 (.72 is retired until I find a use for it it).

You guys will lock me but it's cheap and works, Dove Deep Moisturizing Body wash for main pass and the small areas it doesn't get BBS, Bulldog or Nicel (which require constant relathering which I didn't do this the knick).

Ice Cold rinse followed by Duke Cannon Blue or Cremo Blue, haven't decided which I live better but am leaning towards Duke.

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Hardware
RazorLambda Athena
BladeDerby Premium (1 / 5) [1]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
Pre-
LatherStirling Mix* [44]
PostSpeick After Shave Balm

Notes
8 / 10

The Bison is wonderful. The Derby Premium, on first use, is not. Still a good shave, as the Bison makes it easy, but the blade was noticeably dull compared to most of those I've used lately.

* Sheep; Eucalyptus Mint; Naked & Smooth (Sample); Eucalyptus Mint (Sample).

Thursday, August 8, 2024

Hardware
RazorEdwin Jagger 3ONE6
BladeDerby Premium (1 / 5) [2]
BrushSemogue Pegasus Boar

Software
PrePAA Cube
LatherStirling Mix* [47]
PostPre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme After Shave Balm

Notes
6 / 10

The 3ONE6 shows some promise for head shaving. This one was a bit harsh, but I'm pinning that on the Derby Premium for now.

* Sheep; Eucalyptus Mint; Naked & Smooth (Sample); Eucalyptus Mint (Sample).

I’m sure I’ll catch some flack for this one…

I decided to grab my Proof v2 razor tonight for my Friday night head shave, paired with my trusty permasharp blade. The end result was surprisingly good. I don’t remember liking it that much in the past.

I did my usual xtg pass first and it was not very efficient at all on that pass. But I followed up with my atg pass that I always do on every head shave (I don’t bother with a wtg pass because that’s just a waste of time for me) and that was way way more effective and efficient. It knocked down all stubble left behind the xtg pass without a problem and not a single nick or anything. The blade buffing at the end was pretty minimal…even for my usual spots with my de razors.

The end result was a great BBS shave with zero irritation at all. Even in my usual spots where I always gets at least a little bit of irritation. The alum block and subsequent aftershave confirmed it.

I’m gonna use this one a bit more often. It’s a lot better than the Leaf as far as closeness (in case anyone is wondering).

Saturday, August 10, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Bison
BladeDerby Premium (1 / 5) [3]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
Pre-
LatherSaponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary [2]
PostThayer's Lavender

Notes
8 / 10

SV is quite some soap.

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Hardware
RazorHenson AL13+
BladeDerby Premium (1 / 5) [4]
BrushRudy Vey 2024 B&B (Semogue SOC Mistura)

Software
Pre-
LatherSaponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary [6]
PostThayer's Lavender

Notes
6 / 10

Last week was the Bison on the first edge of this Derby Premium; this week it's the Henson on the second. One shave down this morning, the Henson hasn't put up much of a fight. I'll do a week-to-week comparison on face shaves soon, as well, to round out the contest.

Thursday, August 15, 2024

Hardware
RazorHenson AL13+
BladeDerby Premium (1 / 5) [5]

Software
Pre-
LatherMitchell's Wool Fat 2024 [31]
PostThayer's Lavender

Notes
8 / 10

I use a Leaf Pivoting Razor with 2 blades (it holds up to 3) for my head shaves and started getting razor bumps near the bottom of the rear neck line. I do 2 passes, WTG, then ATG. I was doing OK then, now I'm not. I use hair conditioner as my medium for shaves as I heard it is slicker and better than shave soaps (maybe not). After a shave I use a moisturizing coconut based cream. Is it the razor, or the use of conditioner or moisturizer or all of the above? Can you seasoned head shavers give me some advise, please? Thanks in advance !!

I use a Leaf Pivoting Razor with 2 blades (it holds up to 3) for my head shaves and started getting razor bumps near the bottom of the rear neck line. I do 2 passes, WTG, then ATG. I was doing OK then, now I'm not. I use hair conditioner as my medium for shaves as I heard it is slicker and better than shave soaps (maybe not). After a shave I use a moisturizing coconut based cream. Is it the razor, or the use of conditioner or moisturizer or all of the above? Can you seasoned head shavers give me some advise, please? Thanks in advance !!

As I mentioned last time you raised the same question: If your routine isn’t working, get back to basics. Regular DE razor. 1 pass WTG. Good, basic soap or cream (e.g., Proraso). Get fancy with it only once you’ve set the baseline.

As I mentioned last time you raised the same question: If your routine isn’t working, get back to basics. Regular DE razor. 1 pass WTG. Good, basic soap or cream (e.g., Proraso). Get fancy with it only once you’ve set the baseline.
Thank you! I will try as you said. If I may.... is there a particular good DE razor and\or blade to add to you thoughts? I appreciate your help.

Blackland Blackbird loaded with a 2nd use Dovo German blade. Preshave was Stirling activated charcoal soap and lather was TOBS sandalwood. Two passes and some cleanup work. Post shave splash was Pinaud Osage Rub. So the fire is still burning. But this is a smooth shave. 7.5 out of 10.

Thank you! I will try as you said. If I may.... is there a particular good DE razor and\or blade to add to you thoughts? I appreciate your help.

Individual results and preferences may differ, of course, but I personally love the Karve Bison for head shaves. Or the Edwin Jagger DE89 for a dependable all-rounder (comfortable and reliable, though not the closest shave) or the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 if you’re feeling adventurous (aggressive, close shave).

Blades probably matter less, overall, than other variables. Lots of good blades out there. Maybe try the Treet Platinum (cheap but good quality) if you’re looking to try something new.

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Hardware
RazorEdwin Jagger 3ONE6
BladeGillette Perma-Sharp (5 / 5) [8]

Software
Pre-
LatherSaponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary [10]
PostThayer’s Lavender

Notes
8 / 10

Top Bottom