What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

As far as OC goes, I would have to say my @Lambda Razors Ares V2 wins the game.

Other than that, it's a toss up. I get great head shaves from my '55 Red Tip, Rex Envoy, Timeless Ti Crown/ATT X1...I've dialed all my razors in at this point and can get the job done with all of them.
I think I avoided OC’s initially because the extra blade exposure intuitively didn’t seem like a good idea for head shaves, but I ended up trying the Lupo .72OC anyway and it worked just fine. I still slightly prefer the feel of SB’s over OC’s, but I don’t need to rule out one or the other either.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I think I avoided OC’s initially because the extra blade exposure intuitively didn’t seem like a good idea for head shaves, but I ended up trying the Lupo .72OC anyway and it worked just fine. I still slightly prefer the feel of SB’s over OC’s, but I don’t need to rule out one or the other either.
Yes, I have a Lupo .72 OC and it does a great job for me. Glad to hear it works for you, sir.

Eric_75

@JL 52

Hope you have a great birthday, sir!

San-Francisco-49ers-emblem.jpg

Preshave: Hot towel and PAA cube 2.0 Mentholated
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Burma Shave boar
Razor head: King Camp Gillette modern offering (the one that's almost an exact copy of the Edwin Jagger DE89 and so many other "89" models)
Razor handle: West Coast Shaving 110BR, Fat Elvis.
Shave: Two passes, lots of missed whiskers (as usual with a DE headshave in my experience). One nick.
Aftershave: PAA creosote
Result: Nothing special. 5/10. Love the scent of the PAA aftershave. But using a DE razor on my dome, after all these tries is like the definition of insanity. Just load up the Leaf Three Blade razor and get the best headshave you can get. Period. This was just me wanting to stretch out the KCG razor head with the new handle and the Treet carbon blade. Should have known better. What works for face shaving doesn't usually translate well into a dome scrape. Live and learn.

Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Hardware
RazorEdwin Jagger DE89
BladeGillette Perma-Sharp (3 / 5) [3]
BrushSemogue Pegasus Boar

Software
PreStirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherStirling Mix* [28]
PostPre de Provence No. 63 After Shave Balm

Rating
9 / 10

Notes
EJ DE89 is a true workhorse. Probably my favorite all rounder.

* Sheep; Naked & Smooth (Sample); Eucalyptus Mint (Sample).

This is user error, get that straight from the beginning. As many on this thread are aware, I’ve recently been singing the praises of the three blade leaf with half snapped DE blades as the head shaving zenith for performance this side of a Fusion loaded with an expensive cart. Well this evening, with all of the fault on me, I learned a valuable lesson. When you load that Leaf, pay CLOSE ATTENTION. My top blade wasn’t in there just exactly right. I felt something kind of “scratchy” during the shave but I was using Treet carbon blades for the very first time in this razor, so I chalked it up to unfamiliarity with the blades. Wow. This is butcher shop, killing floor, meat packing plant type injuries. Blood so red it’s black. Unbelievable. My skull looks like Freddy Kruger was playing the piano, to a Judas Priest song! After nursing myself back to health, getting the bleeding to stop, I inspected the razor. Top blade was almost imperceptibly askew on one side. Be ever so careful, and let “scratchy” feedback be your friend with this leaf. Be vigilant. There’s no room for error with this razor. It’s either loaded correctly or it’s a Florida alligator waiting to scrape some skull fragments.

This is user error, get that straight from the beginning. As many on this thread are aware, I’ve recently been singing the praises of the three blade leaf with half snapped DE blades as the head shaving zenith for performance this side of a Fusion loaded with an expensive cart. Well this evening, with all of the fault on me, I learned a valuable lesson. When you load that Leaf, pay CLOSE ATTENTION. My top blade wasn’t in there just exactly right. I felt something kind of “scratchy” during the shave but I was using Treet carbon blades for the very first time in this razor, so I chalked it up to unfamiliarity with the blades. Wow. This is butcher shop, killing floor, meat packing plant type injuries. Blood so red it’s black. Unbelievable. My skull looks like Freddy Kruger was playing the piano, to a Judas Priest song! After nursing myself back to health, getting the bleeding to stop, I inspected the razor. Top blade was almost imperceptibly askew on one side. Be ever so careful, and let “scratchy” feedback be your friend with this leaf. Be vigilant. There’s no room for error with this razor. It’s either loaded correctly or it’s a Florida alligator waiting to scrape some skull fragments.
Sorry to hear your experience, mainly as I had the same issue.

This led me to the Henson and I’ve been more than thrilled with it.

Heal up, take your time coming back!

I made the same similar dopey mistake about 4 months ago on the first day of a new job 🤦🏻‍♂️. I posted it another thread. It will take about a good week to recover and not look like you were mauled. Grab some Proraso repair gel, it will be your friend for the next few days. Heal up brother and leaf on.

Eric_75

Please heal quickly, sir.

Top Bottom