What's new

Great Mug for making lather.

I used my Parker shaving mug today. This is a great mug. It fits nice in my hand and it also has a nice handle on it. It is made from high quality porcelain. The cost is $24.50, and it is worth every penny. If you are looking for another mug to make lather you should take a look at this one.
I love it.

Parker Mug.JPG

This is one of my favorites. It is similar to the one posted by the OP. It is shorter than most, has a very wide mouth, and an apothecary type knob handle. I think I would like the Parker that the OP enjoys.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I used my Parker shaving mug today. This is a great mug. It fits nice in my hand and it also has a nice handle on it. It is made from high quality porcelain. The cost is $24.50, and it is worth every penny. If you are looking for another mug to make lather you should take a look at this one.
I love it.

View attachment 1868060
Very nice mug, I have a few mugs and bowls and I simply prefer my home made ceramic brown onion soup bowl with a stem handle for holding when mixing lather( I JB welded a few coins in the bottom, they will never come lose unless you destroy the bowl).
I like to smear or press hard soaps in the bottom of my bowl for 1-2 shaves and move on to a different soaps or creams using the same bowl. It has been a evolution when it comes to bowls and tinkering to make mine about 6 years ago.
Captain's choice has some nice looking lather mixing bowls also, 7 years ago there was not much for choices unless you wanted a scuttle or customized bowl so I improvised and like mine the best of all of them.
A lathering bowl is a little better than a mug unless you just like 1 soap to keep it in mug all the time IMO.
The bowl foot print is not large and not a problem, I always have a glad a sandwich container bottom at the bottom of the sink when shaving to conserve water + easier clean face washing & less chance to damage my razor when rinsing or cleaning + to store my favorite bowl inside the my glad container.
Here a few bowls & mugs I have collected over the years (my wife found a lot of them at garage sales for a few dollars)
Different mugs, bowls and a old scuttle.jpg

There are good reasons to own a ceramic bowl with a handle, warm lather in winter and summer months with some croap or hard soap pressed in bowl bottom first and then start lathering when bowl is warmed up.
(Some old archived photos, click photo to enlarge)
Hot Onion soap bowls..............warming up lather bowl under hot water......bowl scrubber before new soap introduced to bowl
Rons favorite shave bowl.jpg
Shaving bowl Septemper 11, 2022.jpg
Worn toothbrush scrubber tool..jpg

Have some great shaves.

Last edited:
I recently switched to using a bowl without ridges or bumps in the bowl. I found out I was whipping the soap too much. I was getting too much air in the lather. The first pass would evaporate before I was done. The Parker mug is smooth inside.
I also use a cheap bowl I picked up. Works good also.

Bowl_Thorn.JPG

For the money, it's hard to beat the Timeless:
View attachment 1868624
This was the shaving bowl I wanted the most. Although I already have several, including expensive ceramic ones, I wanted this one because it seemed very effective.
After paying, several times the price because it is not available in Europe, I finally got the cup I wanted. But, even after the first few uses, I realized that because of the high relief of the figure on the bottom, very often the soap remains undissolved, especially if it is of a harder consistency. Also, probably again due to the relief being too prominent, more air gets in and often the lather is airier than I like.
I keep trying and insisting on using this bowl, but it will hardly become my favorite.

For mugs, I have vintage Old Spice ones. They can be had pretty often for $1-5 at garage/estate sales and flea markets. At antique stores, they are 3 times that amount. I have six of them, so I am trying to look at other brands like Seaforth and Waverly.

For bowls, I have a Timeless and a CaYuen. I would wholeheartedly recommend either one. I prefer a longer brush for the Timeless.

For a scuttle, I have the Spacescape 4.0 by Phoenix Shaving. It is one of the best deals in shaving.

Top Bottom