What's new

Going to look at suits tomorrow

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
It may be too late to ask this but what fabric is best for Summer? Linen?

I don’t own a suit or even a jacket and tie. But I’ve got 2 weddings coming up and figured why not get one. So tomorrow I’m going to check them out. Both weddings are in the Summer. What should I look for in a Summer suit? I’m sure the dude at the suit store will know but want your opinions.

Also, I was thinking since a 3 piece suit may be pretty hot I might end up with just a nice shirt and sport coat. So I was thinking Jeans, nice shirt, and sport coat. Casual but nice. Would it be any cooler in the Summer than a proper suit though?

Cheers!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I think this is a winner…..
not even joking.

Lauren By Ralph Lauren Classic Fit Suit Separates Short  3-Piece Suits Men's Wearhouse.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A navy poplin suit would be a good option. They are usually a poly cotton blend and hold up well against wrinkles. Tropical worsted wool is also extremely cool. Linen suits are usually heavy enough that they don't have the coolness of linen shirts.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Well some backstory is….I’ve never owned a suit or a jacket or sport coat. I’ve rented them when I was part of the wedding party but that is the only time I’ve ever worn a suit or had the need. So I may never wear this again until the next wedding and who knows when that will be. So I kinda don’t want to buy a full on 3 piece suit, wear it twice, and then it collects dust for years.

That’s why I’m thinking just a sport jacket or dinner jacket. Cause they go well with jeans and I wear jeans to events 99% of the time. And of course the other option just cause it’s cool is the shorts suit.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Well some backstory is….I’ve never owned a suit or a jacket or sport coat. I’ve rented them when I was part of the wedding party but that is the only time I’ve ever worn a suit or had the need. So I may never wear this again until the next wedding and who knows when that will be. So I kinda don’t want to buy a full on 3 piece suit, wear it twice, and then it collects dust for years.

That’s why I’m thinking just a sport jacket or dinner jacket. Cause they go well with jeans and I wear jeans to events 99% of the time. And of course the other option just cause it’s cool is the shorts suit.
If your plan is not to wear it again unless required, your best bet is a navy blazer in tropical worsted wool and charcoal or dark grey tropical worsted wool trousers. It will look dressy enough to not stand out in a bad way, be flexible enough for less dressy wear, and not break the bank.

I recommend black slacks and jacket, bride or groom’s color tie, white cotton half sleeve dress shirt with no undershirt. Looking presentable is important. Maybe you can arrive early and sit in the shade and/or front of the fan (if there is one) and near the AC when inside? Antiperspirant helps and have plenty of iced beverages. This brings back memories of my own wedding where there was 700+ people crammed indoors in the harsh of summer. I was sweating bullets and requested that the fan be placed beside me.

Last edited:
If your weight tends to fluctuate between summer and winter…tell your taylor keep it a bit loose. You can thank me next winter if you have to wear it then.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
So how did it work out @Toothpick ?

I got pretty lit Friday night and didn’t get up in time Saturday so we didn’t go. My buddy was going with and he had an afternoon thing to go to so since I slept in we didn’t have time. We planned on Sunday but I guess it was his turn to party down the night before cause he didn’t call me until an hr before the store closed.

So I reckon we will try again in a couple weeks!

Went to my son’s wedding in a jacket and pants made of a blend, polyester and rayon, along with western boots, of course. The fabric was light enough for warm weather and heavy enough for cold weather. It was also affordable.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If your plan is not to wear it again unless required, your best bet is a navy blazer in tropical worsted wool and charcoal or dark grey tropical worsted wool trousers. It will look dressy enough to not stand out in a bad way, be flexible enough for less dressy wear, and not break the bank.
I agree with this. What you’re looking for is what I had for years, A marry ‘em and Bury ‘em Suit. Good for weddings, funerals, and all occasions in between.

Top Bottom