What's new

First Straight Razor shave...

Well I just completed my first Straight Razor shave with my one and only straight - a new Dovo Bismarck. My technique was clumsy and awkward - the grip of the razor, use right or left hand? etc. But it went better than I thought it would. No cuts but not exactly the closest shave as I was being "so careful" I missed a few tiny areas. NO FAULT of the razor at all, the Bismarck is a beauty. I was just all thumbs, haha. However I was very pleased at no cuts and despite missing some tiny spots the shave was pretty darned close (single pass).

As far as the shave, it was Proraso Green with my one and only Simpson Berkeley brush that I've been using exclusively for 10 yrs now - face lathered.

I dried it well and stropped it carefully. This is quite a learning adventure! I've been using an ATT Kronos H1 DE for 10 years now. That's a pussycat compared to a straight - haha. But I'm excited to learn this as it's the "ultimate" form of shaving. The pinnacle of the shaving experience...

A generous splash of Clubman completed the shave.

I look forward to the next shave and learning to use this beauty efficiently. I've watched many YouTube videos on the subject and enjoy them.

IMG_1009.jpeg
IMG_1008.jpeg

Congrats on your first Straight shave! It's a real sense of thrill, adventure, and accomplishment. I think it is a good strategy to start out using both hands. It will become second nature to you before you know it. Stay focused. Your shave quality will increase with more practice. Most of all, have fun and enjoy it. Welcome to the world of Straights.

Second shave today. Went well but still awkward finding the right "grip" and technique. I watch the videos but when it's in my hand at the mirror I'm clumsy. One minor cut otherwise a close comfortable shave if you ignore a couple spots I missed lol. I'm enjoying the challenge of learning it though.

Congrats! Nice razor. First, your 10th shave should be better than your 1st. You’re 100th better than your 10th, etc. Second, you need an excellent edge.

Are you using the factory edge or was the edge honed by the person who sold you the razor?

OK my 6th shave went much better and only one tiny cut. My "grip" is improving and it glided more smoothly that the previous times. I only shave once or twice a week lately so always have a good growth to mow down. It does this like no other razor can of course. I like it and will keep at it til I'm a "pro". I love this razor and the old school element to it all is fun.

OK my 6th shave went much better and only one tiny cut. My "grip" is improving and it glided more smoothly that the previous times. I only shave once or twice a week lately so always have a good growth to mow down. It does this like no other razor can of course. I like it and will keep at it til I'm a "pro". I love this razor and the old school element to it all is fun.

I'm glad you're technique is getting better and you're enjoying the shave more.

I just did my second shave and it was pretty awful. Like you, I am having trouble getting the grip right. The vids make it look easy, but once the razor is in your hands, it's a different ballgame.

Like you, I'll stick to it because I do want to get good at this art. I'm not sure why, but I just do!😂

I'm glad you're technique is getting better and you're enjoying the shave more.

I just did my second shave and it was pretty awful. Like you, I am having trouble getting the grip right. The vids make it look easy, but once the razor is in your hands, it's a different ballgame.

Like you, I'll stick to it because I do want to get good at this art. I'm not sure why, but I just do!😂
Haha yes, the videos make it look easy… 3 minutes and DONE! Um, no not at this point. Some day though…

Keep at it, but don’t get over confident too soon.

Wonderful!

Did you have the razor professionally honed before you started? Straights need to be professionally sharpened.

A little more stubble is normal while learning. By the time you reach 100 shaves you will be doing really well, though there is always something to learn.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
For me the turning point was when I no longer feared the possibility of cutting myself mortally. When I first started, the vision of shaving off strips of skin or cutting my throat was all too real lol. Most times I was so careful the lather dried up on my face.

I think a couple weeks in and the fear was gone. The prospect of a nasty cut is always there, but it’s no longer a concern. Kinda like driving. I don’t worry about crashing after decades of driving, but a crash is always possibility.

Congrats on your first Straight shave! It's a real sense of thrill, adventure, and accomplishment. I think it is a good strategy to start out using both hands. It will become second nature to you before you know it. Stay focused. Your shave quality will increase with more practice. Most of all, have fun and enjoy it. Welcome to the world of Straights.
Couldn’t agree more. Performed my first SR shave at the end of Jan 2024 and haven’t looked back. Only own a few GD razors and have found someone to hone them for me. Next on the list for me will be a vintage or better quality SR for comparison and then honing

Haha yes, the videos make it look easy… 3 minutes and DONE! Um, no not at this point. Some day though…

Keep at it, but don’t get over confident too soon.
So true. I have had 1 cut in 7 months and that was down to over confidence. Lesson learned

Second shave today. Went well but still awkward finding the right "grip" and technique. I watch the videos but when it's in my hand at the mirror I'm clumsy. One minor cut otherwise a close comfortable shave if you ignore a couple spots I missed lol. I'm enjoying the challenge of learning it though.
That clumsy feeling has intimidated me.

I found I didn't like holding my razor the way they show in videos. I don't like that handle bent 45º as I might hit something and cut myself. I have my handle straight out in line with the blade. I pinch the tang and part of the handle so everything is under control.

Edit: I found this video. He holds his razor similar to me. I do three passes because I have a much denser beard than he does, and more hair on my face to shave. However, his grip is similar. I just turn the razor over going down with the grain, then as he does going up against the grain. and etc.

Last edited:
I found I didn't like holding my razor the way they show in videos. I don't like that handle bent 45º as I might hit something and cut myself. I have my handle straight out in line with the blade. I pinch the tang and part of the handle so everything is under control.

Edit: I found this video. He holds his razor similar to me. I do three passes because I have a much denser beard than he does, and more hair on my face to shave. However, his grip is similar. I just turn the razor over going down with the grain, then as he does going up against the grain. and etc.
I have mixed feelings about going your own way.

My guess is the age old technique of holding the handle at a 45° angle is there for a reason. I'm not sure I've found out the reason yet, but I'm sure somebody probably knows lol. So I'm sticking with this tried and true method until it becomes second nature for me. (it looks cool to!😂) Admittedly, I'm not there yet, but it's getting there. That said, I actually think that your way of holding the razor is probably more comfortable and easier to handle. I do hold the razor your way when shaving up, ATG.

But there aren't any shaving police watching your technique, so do what you feel is best.😊

I'm not sure what you mean by "Handle at 45 degrees." I think the classic style has the handle (scales) at 90 degrees relative to the blade. This allows a grip with the index and middle finger on top of the tang, the ring finger on top of the tail, thumb on bottom of the tang and pinky under the tail. Having said that, I use that grip 80-90% of the time, sometimes I straighten the handle and hold like a butter knife for certain angles or do whatever it takes to control the pass.

I tend to use this guys technique only when going against the grain as it works best for me on this oass

There really isn't a right way or a wrong way. It is whatever works best for you. I hold mine that way because it keeps my big hands and the handle and the blade all where they need to be...for me. I used to shave with the handle bent at 90º (typo earlier) but I didn't have enough control. I saw someone use the blade straight out and tried it and it was love at first shave. So, the point is, don't get one's panties in a wad over whether or not one is holding a razor like the "experts" do on YouTube. Just use whatever works best.

Top Bottom