What's new

De'Longhi Dead-ica.....

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The bad news is that after five years of daily use my beloved De'Longhi Dedica coffee machine has suddenly expired and is now a Dead-ica 🙁

The good news is that my wife will buy me a new coffee machine for Christmas 🤣 Until then we are using the moka pot and cafetière.

I am tempted to buy another Dedica but this is a chance to upgrade, so what to purchase?

Here are my initial wishes for the machine:

• A semi automatic machine. Something that can make a consistent shot very simply, but can also offer a little more to the coffee enthusiast.
  • A budget of up to £400 / $400.
  • For home use, making around 5 cups per day, every day.
  • Hot water function for making Americano.
  • No integrated grinder or bean hopper. I have a decent grinder already.
  • Steam wand for frothing milk.
  • Supplied with both a pressurised and non pressurised baskets.
  • No ongoing consumable parts to purchase such as water filters etc.
  • Small size on the counter top.
  • I am not interested in buying a machine and then modifying it or purchasing different baskets etc.
I am leaning towards Breville which in the UK appear to be branded as Sage so as not to conflict with another Breville brand, who incidentally produce very similar products. I am considering the Breville/Sage Duo Temp Pro, Bambino Plus or Bambino. The only downside I see to those compared with the De'Longhi is that I dislike the idea of disposing of, and replacing, a plastic water filter every few months.

I realise these type of machines are probably not used by the connoisseurs here but do you have any experience of these products? Can you recommend any alternatives or should I buy another De'Longhi Dedica? Thank you.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I am considering the Breville/Sage Duo Temp Pro, Bambino Plus or Bambino.

proxy.php

Hello there! I consider Breville to be a good coffee machine brand. They usually have affordable options, although their newest machines have been pretty out there for price. They used to have a mini version of the Express, called the Infusion, which sold around 400 dollars I think if I remember correctly, but they seem to no longer sell it now.

The Breville Bambino appears to be well priced, and probably the best you are going to get in that price range. BTW, what a strange name to give to their product, isn't Bambino a Spanish word for babies? I guess their trying to say, that is the baby of their espresso lineup. I guess I sort of see that, but if it were me, I wouldn't name it that, just saying lol.

Might be able to pick up a Gaggia Classic for about that price, especially if you wait until Christmas sales. I've never used Ali Express, but they have a couple of them for under $400 US. It is generally considered the entry level point to good espresso drinks. I have one, as I didn't want to spend $1,000+ on a machine, and found it to be pretty good. I did the spring replacement mod for something like $15, years ago, which upped the pressure.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Thanks for the advice, I found a good deal on a Sage Duo Temp Pro, direct from Sage. It was reduced from £399 to £329, and then I got an extra £49 off by joining a mailing list giving a final price of £280. I can use the savings for cleaning and descaling supplies, plus water tank filters.
1728679513100.png

Top Bottom