What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - Vikings At The Gate

Blade: Viking's Sword #1 shave #3
Razor: Post-war BET
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Mama Bear's Grapefruit Ice

Again, very smooth. From shave #1 to #2 with this blade there was a small but clear improvement. From Shave #2 to #3 the improvement was there but minuscule.

The end result was BBS on my cheeks and most of my neck, with the area just under the back corners of my jaw being the holdouts where I had to settle for a DFS+, just like yesterday, except this time I was distracted and on auto-pilot.

Crystal Blade #1 - Shave #2
Razor - 40s Super Speed
Blade - Crystal(2)
Brush - Proraso/Omega Boar
Soap - Arko
A/S - Thayers Facial Toner, Gillette Aftershave Gel
Rating - 5/10. DFS result but shave was quite uncomfortable.

I'll start this by saying that my 40s Super Speed is my favorite razor and generally works pretty well with most blades, but every once in a while I'll come across a blade that doesn't work with it, and this is one of those blades. The last shave with my 66 flare tip was fairly smooth and comfortable, but this shave felt bitey and rough. I got through the shave with no real drama but very much did not like the way the blade in this razor felt on my face. I probably will give this another shave in my slim, but I think that will be it for this one.

Crystal Blade 1 Shave 3

I kept the blade in the Tech, and today it was hyper efficient. It really cut close. I noticed a touch more blade feel, but nothing bad just more than the previous shaves. Maybe I wore the PTFE down.

Anyway, this was a fabulous shave. A pretty easy BBS.

Crystal Blade 1 Shave 3

I kept the blade in the Tech, and today it was hyper efficient. It really cut close. I noticed a touch more blade feel, but nothing bad just more than the previous shaves. Maybe I wore the PTFE down.

Anyway, this was a fabulous shave. A pretty easy BBS.
That's one thing I forgot to mention: the first shave didn't feel all that sharp, maybe even less so than the Viking's Sword, but using it today it felt noticeably sharper but for me it also felt a bit harsh.

Viking blade 4:
Ti 1.65 WR2
Zingari man Brewer
(Catch up from Friday)
Agree with above post, the third shave was very rough. I try my best to use any blade for at least 2 3 shave weeks shaving MWF.
Shave 4 was back to a smooth drama and redness free shave. I am sure there are plenty of variables that could have been just a touch different but the blade performed well again. Mondays tend to be my best shaves after an extra few days of growth so I’m curious as to what that will bring. Looking forward to it.
As always thank you to @Grundi (et al) for putting these together. They are always awesome.

Vikings Sword Blade #1 Shave #7
Tools: Hone Razor, Suavecito Lavender shave soap, Disruptor brush & Clubman Aftershave.
Got a nice two pass shave this A.M. = DFS. :thumbup1:
Clubman gave me some moderate sting.
The Viking sword blade passed my test.
Next blade up is the Personna platinum chromium blade known as the Lab Blue Blade?

Vikings Sword Blade #1 Shave #7
Tools: Hone Razor, Suavecito Lavender shave soap, Disruptor brush & Clubman Aftershave.
Got a nice two pass shave this A.M. = DFS. :thumbup1:
Clubman gave me some moderate sting.
The Viking sword blade passed my test.
Next blade up is the Personna platinum chromium blade known as the Lab Blue Blade?
No, this chrome platinum in the blue, white, red, and silver pack is an Israeli blade of its own specification made for the UK market. It may have also been produced for a time in Germany after Edgewell closed the Nazareth plant around 2019. (The PIF blades are Israeli.)

Lab Blue is the American blade from the Verona, Virginia plant. That plant was owned by American Safety Razor Company, and then Energizer, and then Edgewell, and now Accutec. All of the contemporary American double edge blades are made there to the same specification. The best one to get, because it is cheapest, is the one distributed by Edgewell's Fromm as Personna Comfort Coated. It comes in a small 5 blade dispenser in a blister pack, and also paler wrapped in a cardboard 100-pack. The small packs might arrive a little sharper since the packaging provides better protection.

The only important relationship is Edgewell's Personna branding of both blades.

Last edited:
Blade: Viking's Sword #1 shave #4
Razor: Post-war BET
Brush: Rubberset 400-3
Soap: PdP #63

Still smooth. Today's shave was a carbon copy of yesterday's shave. No further improvement, but no weakening either. Based on previous experience, this blade has a long way to go.

The end result was BBS on my cheeks and most of my neck, with the area just under the back corners of my jaw being the holdouts where I had a DFS+ on auto-pilot.

Top Bottom