What's new

Bolo ties

I feel this thread encapsulates the changes that have occurred on B&B. If this thread was posted 10 years ago and you didn't like a bolo tie people would have either a) not commented, or b) simply commented "They're not for me but look great on you!". Now this thread has people dumping on those who do want like them and gatekeeping who can or cannot wear one.

I never thought I'd see this attitude come to B&B, but here we are. What a shame.
I would respectfully disagree.

We are getting some interesting responses, which are providing personal recollections and geographical information on the wearing of the bolo, and it's usage and decline.

There are a couple of some quite mild sartorial criticisms, but I have found it informative, as a non bolo wearing Londoner, although I have seen them worn by Rockabillies including a close work colleague from a coulple of decades ago who actually 'lived' in the US of 1955, with his wife, including clothes, furniture and even a car.

I hope you take this comment in the spirit in which it was intended!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I feel this thread encapsulates the changes that have occurred on B&B. If this thread was posted 10 years ago and you didn't like a bolo tie people would have either a) not commented, or b) simply commented "They're not for me but look great on you!". Now this thread has people dumping on those who do want like them and gatekeeping who can or cannot wear one.

I never thought I'd see this attitude come to B&B, but here we are. What a shame.

The Mods are not able to read every post made on the forum. If there is an issue with a member or a post, please hit the report button.

I own one, somewhere, from back when I was in junior high. I think the word my wife used to describe how it looked on me was "ridiculous". Since then, I may have worn it one time. I've learned that my wife has better fashion sense than I have; and, considering she's anything but fashionable, that says something about me—and about bolo ties.

I would respectfully disagree.

We are getting some interesting responses, which are providing personal recollections and geographical information on the wearing of the bolo, and it's usage and decline.

There are a couple of some quite mild sartorial criticisms, but I have found it informative, as a non bolo wearing Londoner, although I have seen them worn by Rockabillies including a close work colleague from a coulple of decades ago who actually 'lived' in the US of 1955, with his wife, including clothes, furniture and even a car.

I hope you take this comment in the spirit in which it was intended!

You and I have been around B&B for a while, and this is the type of respectful disagreement we can - and should - have. Sadly, I'm seeing more and more disagreements that veer off into ad hominem attacks. Not just this thread, but throughout the site.

Granted, I took a years-long hiatus from this forum (I joined six days after |MrSpeedy|), and I wasn't super active back then either. And granted, in the meantime, I spent a LOT of time on a completely unrelated forum that had a much less gentlemanly culture. But still, I don't see anyone in this thread having engaged in "dumping on" bolo tie fans.

The closest I can come up with is the post by |borwish|, but even then the comment was actually "In this part of the South ... everyone would ..."—which only communicates the general opinion of other people. The language may have been a bit crass but, if it was intended to convey the crass attitude of people in those parts, then it was appropriately so. I have to squint pretty hard to find ad hominem attacks in this thread.

What you see in other threads, I have no idea. My interests here are fairly limited, so there is a wide range of topics whose threads I spend zero time in.

Frankly, I'd find it oppressive to always feel the expectation that I should never express my distaste in something. If someone starts a thread about something on a public forum but expects anyone with a contrary opinion to refrain from posting about it, then that doesn't seem quite right to me.

You and I have been around B&B for a while, and this is the type of respectful disagreement we can - and should - have. Sadly, I'm seeing more and more disagreements that veer off into ad hominem attacks. Not just this thread, but throughout the site.
Yes sadly. It was poor self-control on the part of a few which resulted in a major shake up of the 'like' emojis. One post has been removed from this thread.
Frankly, I'd find it oppressive to always feel the expectation that I should never express my distaste in something. If someone starts a thread about something on a public forum but expects anyone with a contrary opinion to refrain from posting about it, then that doesn't seem quite right to me.
Absolutely agree.

It is the choice of delivery method I would say.

Back to the topic Gentlemen.

I knew them as String Ties too. Bolo is a weighted thrown snare is it not?

I wonder what the origins of the String/Bolo are?

By the way, the String/Bolo Tie was and is still popular amongst Teddy Boys, an interesting British youth subculture of the 50's to the early 70's. I believe there are still some ageing Teds lurking today in London and Brighton.

Teddy Boys - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Boys

Last edited:
They've always been a 'cowboy' thing to me. I grew up in northwestern Kansas, and plenty of people out there wore them—but mainly those who had cattle rather than just corn or wheat. They've also been an 'American Indian' thing to me, but that might just be because of the design mine has, and because I've seen them for sale by American Indians in New Mexico. Some quick googling reveals that it's not just me, though: there are several tribes in that part of the country whose silver-works tradition includes bolo ties. To me, the quintessential bolo tie has both silver and turquoise.

But I always heard them referred to as 'bolo ties'. It wasn't till I was an adult that I first heard them called 'string ties'.

I have a few of them that belonged to my grandfather; he wore them when he took my grandmother square dancing. I like wearing it with a denim/chambray shirt and tweed jacket, with corduroy pants and some Chelsea boots.
View attachment 1867010
I think they look all right.

However it takes some confidence to carry it off. Best maybe to wear one lightly.

Just like Brother @MrSpeedy displays here in abundance!

I just did a quick search and it appears bolo ties are worn by a number of celebrities old and new. Not that this means anything. I certainly dont wear mine because Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson wore them. I think they just look nice, on me. And its a bit of fun fashion and style. And who doesnt need a bit of fun these days. The other day I went to pick up some groceries and an elderly woman came up to me and commented on how nice I looked that day in my dark jeans, white shirt, suspenders, robust handlebar moustache and bolo tie. I thanked her for her kind words. And it made my day.

Yes sadly. It was poor self-control on the part of a few which resulted in a major shake up of the 'like' emojis. One post has been removed from this thread.

Absolutely agree.

It is the choice of delivery method I would say.

Back to the topic Gentlemen.

I knew them as String Ties too. Bolo is a weighted thrown snare is it not?

I wonder what the origins of the String/Bolo are?

By the way, the String/Bolo Tie was and is still popular amongst Teddy Boys, an interesting British youth subculture of the 50's to the early 70's. I believe there are still some ageing Teds lurking today in London and Brighton.

Teddy Boys - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Boys
I just read the Teddy Boy article you posted. I learn something new every day. Interesting. Thanks for posting.

About 50 years ago,
I had one with a little scorpion encased in something clear, like glass.
At that time, I recall referring to it as a Shoestring Tie.

I'm not the only one :

"A bolo tie (sometimes bola tie or shoestring necktie) "

This is the only quote I can remember from Yellowstone.
I was surprised that it caught other people's attention also.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Let us know when you see them!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've seen them here and there and have friends who wear them.
I'd wear one if I had one.
I don't really see any difference in choice between a bolo, a neck tie, or a bow tie, or anyone wearing a hat (other than a ball cap) for that matter.
They CERTAINLY are not anachronistic because they are readily and currently available for sale across a huge area of the US.
Now that I'm retired, I mostly wear T Shirts so not currently a good fit. Maybe I'll wear some button ups with my Jeans and start wearing one!

People can disagree, that's fine (and expected). It's when the disagreements turn personal that I draw the line. Several personal attacks on this thread have been removed, thankfully.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Now that I'm retired, I mostly wear T Shirts so not currently a good fit. Maybe I'll wear some button ups with my Jeans and start wearing one!

That was exactly why since I retired I've been on a (mostly frustrating) search for nice, relatively inexpensive button down/button up long-sleeve shirts with a patch pocket in solid colours. Probably I'll never wear another bolo tie but never say never... I am on this search because I have WAY more bowties than razors and want to rock one when I go to town.

O.H.

A tangential question, but do "bolo ties" pair well with "concho belts"? Meaning would they often be worn together or be something owned by the same person but worn in different settings? That association loosely exists in my mind.

I think they provide some personal flair in comparison to the typical solid (dark) belt and silk tie, but neither are commonly seen where I grew up.

My grandpa wore a bolo on occasion and I had one or two as a child. My great uncle was a rock guy and made jewelry to include bolo ties. We were in middle northern Tennessee . My grandparents had horses and lived in a ranch style house, but, were in Real Estate during the day. Grandpa wore suits with cowboy boots and sometimes wore a hat. Often enough to have a hat holder in his truck. Now as an adult I tend to wear either a black t-shirt and jeans or a polo with shorts. The bolo no longer fits how I dress, but, they are perfectly acceptable dress for southern gentlemen in my book.

Top Bottom