What's new

Beau Brummel lather bowl question.

I ask because I recently purchased one after seeing it in a Reddit post. Beautifully executed piece of shaving den hardware that whips up a nice lather and rather quickly too. The inside of the bowl is made up of concentric rings/ridges, however, they have a somewhat coarse texture. I'm sure that coarseness contributes to whipping up a lather, but I'm wondering if it can also be harmfull my shaving brush hairs.

Anyone else have one of these that's been using it for a while? What have your experiences been?

I'm not able to offer insight into your question. But we would love to see a picture if you could

1722791970858.jpeg

1722791992938.jpeg

That is marble. Marble holds heat really well. If you fill your sink with really hot water and leave it in there a few minutes it will stay very warm once you start with the soap.

The downside is that a rough marble bowl will definitely be hard on your brushes. Probably worse for synthetic brushes.

That is marble. Marble holds heat really well. If you fill your sink with really hot water and leave it in there a few minutes it will stay very warm once you start with the soap.

The downside is that a rough marble bowl will definitely be hard on your brushes. Probably worse for synthetic brushes.

I noticed that about the warmth. It retains heat very well indeed. While the inside is on the rough side, it's not terribly abrasive. Not like sand paper anyway. We shall see. Worse case scenario if I keep it is that I will buy a new brush ever few years I guess.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a slightly larger one I bought to grind down spices. I was wondering about using it for a shaving bowl, but decided it would be too rough on my badger brushes. I don't own any inexpensive boars or synths so.... I found a use for it, in between grinding spices which doesn't occur often.... I keep my kidney stones in it. LOL.... Eventually, I'll have enough to ge my wife a custom resin pendant in a nice design with black kidney stone accents.... I'll share the pain... <eg>

I have a slightly larger one I bought to grind down spices. I was wondering about using it for a shaving bowl, but decided it would be too rough on my badger brushes. I don't own any inexpensive boars or synths so.... I found a use for it, in between grinding spices which doesn't occur often.... I keep my kidney stones in it. LOL.... Eventually, I'll have enough to ge my wife a custom resin pendant in a nice design with black kidney stone accents.... I'll share the pain... <eg>
Such a kind giving person! If you have any leftover after making the lovely pendant for your wife, you could pif them!

That is a beautiful bowl. I have seen it on amazon before. Since my two brushes are boar brushes that cost $10 - $15 I would not worry about wear and tear so I might pick one up down the line.

Just guessing, but assuming one is using a slick soap that whips up quickly, then I would guess that brush damage would be minimal, if any, as the soap creates a slick film. If a brush was dry, then it could tear itself up, but the tips should be slick from the soap - at least the tips are slick when they massage my face and that is the idea, right? 😃

That is a beautiful bowl. I have seen it on amazon before. Since my two brushes are boar brushes that cost $10 - $15 I would not worry about wear and tear so I might pick one up down the line.

Just guessing, but assuming one is using a slick soap that whips up quickly, then I would guess that brush damage would be minimal, if any, as the soap creates a slick film. If a brush was dry, then it could tear itself up, but the tips should be slick from the soap - at least the tips are slick when they massage my face and that is the idea, right? 😃

Indeed. Im not going to worry about it. I doubt it will tear the brush up. 1,048 Amazon reviews and no mention of brushes getting damaged. There was one Amazon reviewer that claimed to be using his for a year and that his "brush" (sounds like he has one) didnt experience any wear. And if it does, it gives me an excuse to buy an new brush. I really like the bowl. It whips up a nice lather quick, retains heat really well, and I just love look. It makes me feel very high-brow lol.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Run the top of a fingernail over the rough surface. If it scuffs or scratches your nail, it will damage your brush tips.
I like this statement, it's simple and makes sense.
Hair and nails both have cuticle structures.

Usually we like the shaving bowl to have large or small uneven surfaces to "grab lather" and "move the bristles to add air."
But rough, tiny sharp edges are undesirable and will put too much friction on the bristles and cause damage.

Many people usually just keep one shaving bowl + damage accumulates over time so it's not something that is noticed quickly. This is why it is not easy to detect this from purchase reviews.

I want to know what weight this marble bowl has. I think it's not very comfortable to hold it in your hand when whipping foam. Besides, it's easy to drop it.
The bowl is 1.3 pounds. Regarding dropping, since it is not polished ceramic, I would think it is less likely to slip out of ones hand - at least compared to my knockoff Captains Choice ceramic shave bowl from Bicrops

Note on amazon reads “Customers usually keep this item” indicating it has a low return rate. Amazon places notes like this for items with high return rates, and low return rates (Which is very appreciated) So I guess it is as functional as it is beautiful.

If one likes the idea of this bowl but not the grooves, then here is a $17 variation - which is rough cut inside the marble. It is a slightly taller (4.7” vs 4.5”), and heavier, at 754 grams or 1.6 pounds. One reviewer states they like the weight. One reviewer commented that The weight allows you to swirl on the counter top without needing to hold the bowl
Marble Shaving Soap Bowl, 4.7“

Last edited:
The bowl is 1.3 pounds. Regarding dropping, since it is not polished ceramic, I would think it is less likely to slip out of ones hand - at least compared to my knockoff Captains Choice ceramic shave bowl from Bicrops

Note on amazon reads “Customers usually keep this item” indicating it has a low return rate. Amazon places notes like this for items with high return rates, and low return rates (Which is very appreciated) So I guess it is as functional as it is beautiful.

If one likes the idea of this bowl but not the grooves, then here is a $17 variation - which is rough cut inside the marble. It is a slightly taller (4.7” vs 4.5”), and heavier, at 754 grams or 1.6 pounds. One reviewer states they like the weight. One reviewer commented that The weight allows you to swirl on the counter top without needing to hold the bowl
Marble Shaving Soap Bowl, 4.7“
Thanks for the helpful information. I have a small request. Since I live in Russia, it would be more convenient for me to see the dimensions in centimeters and grams.

Thanks for the helpful information. I have a small request. Since I live in Russia, it would be more convenient for me to see the dimensions in centimeters and grams.

Diameter: 11.43 cm
Height: 6.35
Thickness: .69
Base Diameter: 6.35
Weight: 59 g

Top Bottom