What's new

Barbershop haircuts and styling

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
It may be hard, but it can be done. I guess I should feel lucky I found Joe Stanek. I trained him to do my haircut (as described above), and he remembers and has done it my way for 25 years. Not that it's that complicated, it's a standard Army-type cut from 30-40 years ago. But he doesn't screw around with it or try to "style".

So I tip him well. And we like talking about our grandkids. I guess I'm blessed to have found Tornambe's. Maybe they are rare. But they are busy as hell all the time!

It may be hard, but it can be done. I guess I should feel lucky I found Joe Stanek. I trained him to do my haircut (as described above), and he remembers and has done it my way for 25 years. Not that it's that complicated, it's a standard Army-type cut from 30-40 years ago. But he doesn't screw around with it or try to "style".

So I tip him well. And we like talking about our grandkids. I guess I'm blessed to have found Tornambe's. Maybe they are rare. But they are busy as hell all the time!
I did not mean to say it could not be done. Re-reading my last post it seems more pessimistic than I intended. What I really meant to convey is probably more like sometimes you have to try quite a few to find one who is a great fit! They are definitely out there.

Thanks JC in PA!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Wow, I thought I was an old curmudgeon. Starbucks drink price probably averages around $5 and it's often $50 to fill my gas tank. The new car that was $3,400 in 1973 is closer to $40,000 now.

Not combing his hair is beyond ridiculous, and something I've never heard before. I suspect those mall haircut establishments are based on speed and turnover, not return customers. I also suspect the majority of the price went to the house.

I do go to a fancy place. I always have an appointment - no waiting (I'm already too old to waste time waiting). I've been going to the same stylist for 10 years and she starts every session by asking how the last cut was and if any changes are needed. She also ends the session by asking if I want anything changed. I also get a neck/shoulder massage before the hot towel and shavette/lather trim of the back of my neck and sideburns. Then there's the offer of a hot facial towel during the shampoo. Then my hair is dried and combed. $35 + tip. It's not cheap, but it's one of the highlights of my month (which is kind of sad in its own way).

I sometimes argue with my son over what can be expected of a barbershop haircut. So I thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom of B&B for insight. All this stems from a haircut he got a couple of years back. We went to a "sport cuts" place in a strip mall out of convenience. We had just moved and hadn't found a good barber near our house so that's where we found ourselves. It was certainly on the expensive side, as far as I'm concerned, at $25 base price, on top of which they seem to expect a tip (which I easily resist). Anyway, we went in and he got his hair cut. Nothing special or fancy, a typical "boy cut". Well in the end he got what I would asses to be a mere trim, and the girl who did it didn't even comb his hair when she finished! When I questioned it, her reply was "You didn't ask me to style it." So combing after a haircut is considered "styling"?!! I was ready to push the point but son insists on avoiding confrontation at ALL costs regardless of the circumstances, so out we walked. I gave him a comb in the car. Seriously?!!.

Tipping your barber is normal and expected, but you seem to make quite the point that you won't/don't tip, so I'm guessing the girl cutting your son's hair knew that and gave it back to you.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I go to a barber shop that has 8 chairs. The owner has been using the same chair for about 40yrs. There a 5 barbers that are lifers at the shop and will probably never leave. 3 chairs are barbers on a rotating basis as barbers come and go. They all cut hair well because Jason, the owner, will run them off if they don’t. Combing, moderate styling, and Pinaud Clubman on the neck are all standard. They speak what I call “barber talk” in that they can understand what you want by clipper descriptions “#1 on the sides, high fade, to a #6 on top.” There’s one female barber and a couple of the other barbers are of different ethnicities so they’ve got pretty much any style and type of hair you may want/have covered. The lone female barber can dish out the tall tales and stories just as well as the men can. My kids love it, I just hope they don’t tell their mom some of the stories. It’s not the cheapest cut in town, about on par with the OPs SportsCuts but the atmosphere makes it worth it. I also don’t mind tipping them because I want them to stay around. My middle kid is so comfortable getting his haircut there he regularly falls asleep while he’s getting his haircut.
IMG_5365.jpeg

but it's one of the highlights of my month (which is kind of sad in its own way
That is hilarious, Keith! And I know what you are saying. But I do not think that it actually is sad, and I hope you do not think so either! You are posting on a shaving forum! There are other folks on here you who enjoy such things. Who enjoy that process and find it valuable, satisfying, and relaxing! It is not like this is part of the process being inducted into the infantry that day!

I suspect those mall haircut establishments are based on speed and turnover, not return customers.
I hear you there, especially re speed and turnover. But are there really barbers and hair stylists who are not seeking repeat business? That does seem sad!

but you seem to make quite the point that you won't/don't tip, so I'm guessing the girl cutting your son's hair knew that and gave it back to you.
That is hilarious, too, Saloogie. I thought that, too, but please do not take offense, Hercule! I think folks in those places are often really working for tips. Base pay is little or meager.

I also suspect the majority of the price went to the house.
I also suspect that, and I think that is major rub or problem in this situation. Like Chris Rock said, "You know what that means when someone pays you minimum wage? You know what your boos was trying to say? 'Hey if I could pay you less, I would, but it's against the law.' 'You ask me how I am doing?" I'm doing bad, that's how I am doing!"

Last edited:
Tipping your barber is normal and expected, but you seem to make quite the point that you won't/don't tip, so I'm guessing the girl cutting your son's hair knew that and gave it back to you.
I certainly didn't in that instance. Generally speaking if I feel that I received good quality results and good if not exemplary customer service I will indeed tip, often quite generously too. Tipping may be thought to be expected but realize that there is absolutely no obligation to do so. Those who learn that lesson and are willing to earn a customer's appreciation of a tip (is it really that hard?) usually reap the benefits. Whatever their base pay may be is entirely irrelevant. They are there solely by choice and are not without influence on how lucrative they could potentially be (an aspect they really should appreciate). Sadly, fom my experience, tip worthy service seems to be getting rare these days.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I hate going to the barber. I hate wasting time waiting, I hate the chit chat, and I hate when it takes more than just a few minutes to trim off excess.
I'd rather my wife do it, or do it myself.
If I could find a barber where I didn't have to wait more than a few minutes (without making an appointment), who cut my hair quickly and didn't try to chat me up - I'd tip him heavily.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A bit over forty years ago I just got tired of the whole barber experience and cut my own hair using a pair of blunt tip nail scissors to avoid nicking myself. I had watched how high end cutters like Sassoon did it. I mimicked that method, going by feel in back. I got compliments, and the scissors have been in use ever since.

Trying for a sense of what the numbers really are, I Googled what percentage of what a hair styling place charges goes to the stylist. The net thinks 35 to 45%. I am guessing 45% is high side for some mall commercial operation. Around here Hair Cuttery, a mass production outfit, is said to charge about $23 for a hair cut. So, assuming this information is at all reliable, and I do not know that it is. the stylist gets around $8 before tip.

At least one place on the net suggested that a reasonable tip to a barber was 20 to 25% of the charge. I tend to tip my current barber about $6 on a $24 haircut. I really like him. I guess I thought I was being more generous than I might have actually been.

So, do you tip a one man operation where the owner is the only barber, sets the prices, and gets 100% of the money?
I do. I think the old rule of etiquette used to be not to tip the owner of an establishment. That never really made sense to me. If the owner provided the service an employee would have, I figure he should get paid at least as much as an employee. He gets 100% of the money, but he also pays 100% of the costs and is at risk to pay more than that!

A bit over forty years ago I just got tired of the whole barber experience and cut my own hair using a pair of blunt tip nail scissors to avoid nicking myself. I had watched how high end cutters like Sassoon did it. I mimicked that method, going by feel in back. I got compliments, and the scissors have been in use ever since.
I admire your courage!

I asked her yesterday what her pay scale was. She told me she was at 40% when she started at a commercial salon 25+ years ago and quickly went to 45%, then 50% with 5 years. She went to a private salon 10-15 years ago. They recruited her at 45%. She held out until they offered 50%.

I was surprised to find out she was getting $10+ tips for haircuts. I had often heard her say she'd rather do a day of men's haircuts back to back than 2 or 3 two hour women's services.

In our area $30 for a men's cut seems high to me. I have a friend that owns a traditional men's barbershop. I believe his cuts are $20.00

My wife does my cuts. Once in a while I'll go to one of those Super Cut or Cost Cutter places but only if I can get in right away, they have to get me while still in the mood. I hate getting hair cuts and when I finally let the wife do the job I tell her not to expect a conversation like you girls in a beauty salon do, cause i don't spill out my guts to no one but my attorney.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@luvmysuper They take appointments at my place, and since Joe has been cutting my hair for about 20 years, he's done pretty quick. Plus I'm a standard old-school non-descript man's cut so it's not complicated. I'm usually in/ out in 15 minutes, and I get there 5 minutes early so Joe can turn his chair fast when he finishes the guy before me.

Funny story, not strictly on point, but not much of a hijack. When I lived in the Philippines I started getting a flattop haircut, it was so coll in the hot tropical weather. I always wore camo there and in Okinawa, and then a flight suit in Germany. So I had the flattop for about 5 years when I separated and came back to the states.

One day my wife tells me I have to grow my hair out. I asked why, I've had a flattop since we got married, what's up? She said, "Yeah, and it looked fine with camo or a flight suit. But when you wear a suit and tie you look kinda like an axe murderer. Grow it out."

So I did. :D

I went to the same barber for 30 years or so. Like a lot of folks I was forced to start cutting my own hair in 2020. Luckily I got pretty decent at it because my barber decided to retire and closeup shop rather than deal with all the pandemic related extra expenses.

I do miss going, but not too excited about shopping for a new place.

Top Bottom