What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

lasta

Blade Biter
Can someone compare the Viking's Sword to the Personna "Lab Blue"? If it is the same blade, I'll order some packs right away. I don't really want to buy a discontinued product, but I'll happily stock up on the current equivalent.
From your tuck, it looks like the Israeli variety. I'd guess more similar than different.

Edit: sorry, I thought you said Israeli Personna. No, they should be completely different blades than lab blues.

Last edited:
Viking Sword - blade 1, shave 1

Tatara Noda-mune​
Yaqi rainbow pony​
SV Desert Vetiver​

I am very excited to be part of Balin's Bonanza and be on the third blade! I started with a medium-aggression razor, so I could get a sense of the blade and move up or down from there.

When switching blades or razors, even if they are ones I've used before, I am a bit cautious to start. Like @Flanders, my first stroke had more resistance than I expected, which confused me, as it wasn't what I was expecting. Also like him, that didn't seem to be a problem for the shave, I went with it.

It was a nice shave. My initial impressions of the blade - it is medium-sharpness. I struggle with what "smooth" means for a blade, as that is a mix of factors from the razor used through the soap, lather, and face prep. I tend to think of a blade mainly along the spectrum of dull to sharp. That said, there is something about a blade that relates to smoothness. In that way, the Viking Sword was not rough. It does feel less sharp than my main blades - Perma-Sharp, Nacet, and even Astra SS (blue).

The result was good. About half of my face got to BBS. As I said, I went easy for the first try. There were quite a few straggler whiskers scattered around my face. I had only a very light warmth from alcohol astringent, so the blade (and my technique) wasn't too hard on my skin.

For my next shave, I plan on trying to get a better shave using the Noda-mune and see where the result lands and what I learn. I may switch razors after that. Thanks for reading, Bonanza-mates!

LOL. Doing a tour of Chinese blades will make you appreciate the GSB, Boris. Or the lower tier Indian ones, too.

Card Games Fun GIF by AsmodeeGames
😂😂 🤣🤣🤣

You guys have a (low-key) picture of the dispenser or date code on the side?
According to the mess with which I store and lose my blades and all shaving tools I cannot find the tuck of Vikyng's Sword blades.

I have been looking for a long time without finding them, if any friends can retrieve and show a picture they will surely do before me until I find them.
I think they are still the Israeli blades from the old production though.

Last edited:
According to the mess with which I store and lose my blades and all shaving tools I cannot find the tuck of Vikyng's Sword blades.

I have been looking for a long time without finding them, if any friends can retrieve and show a picture they will surely do before me until I find them.
I would check the other plastic tucks and see if @Balin put it in with another tuck. I had the Dorco Titans in with the Viking's Sword in mine and of course we all know that he smuggled in the-blade-which-shall-not-be-named in another tuck.

They might be in with the TJax. I think only the Titans, Vikings Sword and Tjax were in 10 blade tucks. Some folks got the Viking's sword plastic case with additional blades or in your case because I didn't send Titans, its probably in with the TJax, or a GSB tuck.

Edited to add. I saw your picture, you have the plastic tuck the Vikings Sword were shipped in.

Shave 1 Viking's Sword
1000007022.jpg

Woo hoo! I like this blade's first impression! I had a comfortable DFS today. I think this will be a blade I am going to push and try to get all week out it. I found the shave smoother than our previous 2 blades. I think it was so smooth, I couldn't really tell that it was sharp, but the results speak to the sharpness. I skipped yesterday and the blade performed really well on 2 days growth in my WR1 .67 OC. Depending on how the blade fares for the rest of the week, I may consider a purchase of at least 100 of these guys.

Cheers!

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
Shave 14

• Blackbird Lite
Viking's Sword blade
• Wald Delphi brush
• Declaration Grooming 88 Chestnut

I am still not 100% functional for a second night in a row, but this was another great shave! The blade felt like it had less resistance compared to the first shave, but the results feel the same. I had some skin tightness and a tiny bit of feedback on my chin where I went a bit crazy making sure not to leave a fuzzy spot. None of this is a demerit on the blade, but this shave rates one level higher on facial impact due to my own ham fisted over shaving. I am sure it can go longer, but I only plan to do one more shave on this blade and then get a fresh one and a different razor in a couple days.

They might be in with the TJax. I think only the Titans, Vikings Sword and Tjax were in 10 blade tucks. Some folks got the Viking's sword plastic case with additional blades or in your case because I didn't send Titans, its probably in with the TJax, or a GSB tuck.

Edited to add. I saw your picture, you have the plastic tuck the Vikings Sword were shipped in.
I must have misspelled or explained myself wrongly in my previous comment.
I had the plastic case, I just couldn't find it.

I found it was in the Mercury razor case with other Tjax blades.
Unfortunately of GSB blades I could not find any, my friend Boris will be happy. :laugh:
They are unmentionable blades for him. :001_unsur

Evening Shave - 09/16/24
Razor:
Merkur 41C
Blade: Personna Viking's Sword (2)
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft RR400
Aftershave: Brut After Shave
Shave Comfort: 10/10 (Smooth)
Shave Quality: 9.5/10 (DFS++)
Shave Rating: 9.75/10
I was a bit more careful last night vs the previous shave and the shave was not quite as close as the previous one, but I had no irritation either so that is a win in my book. Blade is performing just great in this razor. Nice and sharp. Very respectable and good shave.

Just like I thought..I was careless the previous shave. I self inflicted all my irritation, which is usually the case. I am now back on track and things are trucking along. I have a feeling that it will be a great shaving week.

I know it is fairly early in the week but where we are currently. Dorco Titan done. Treet TJAX done. Personna Viking's Sword ongoing. Looking at the list of picking the next blade I think that I am up this coming week. I need to pick something since I will be away for the weekend. Due to unfortunate events we had a last minute addition to our lineup in the form of "The-blade-that-shall-not-be-named".
1726574794977.png

I decided to do the determination by Picker Wheel. Let us see who gets it.
1726575226369.png

This is very inconvenient and unfortunate. I hope you are happy with yourselves! I will make @Balin pay for this...I curse you to shave with....
1726575429608.png

for the rest of your life.

Attachments

• 1726573692575.png
    1726573692575.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Evening Shave - 09/16/24
Razor:
Merkur 41C
I was a bit more careful last night vs the previous shave and the shave was not quite as close as the previous one, but I had no irritation either so that is a win in my book. Blade is performing just great in this razor. Nice and sharp. Very respectable and good shave.

Just like I thought..I was careless the previous shave. I self inflicted all my irritation, which is usually the case. I am now back on track and things are trucking along. I have a feeling that it will be a great shaving week.

I know it is fairly early in the week but where we are currently. Dorco Titan done. Treet TJAX done. Personna Viking's Sword ongoing. Looking at the list of picking the next blade I think that I am up this coming week. I need to pick something since I will be away for the weekend. Due to unfortunate events we had a last minute addition to our lineup in the form of "The-blade-that-shall-not-be-named".
View attachment 1912771

View attachment 1912780
This is very inconvenient and unfortunate. I hope you are happy with yourselves! I will make @Balin pay for this...I curse you to shave with....
View attachment 1912784
1726577321197.png

Looking at the list of picking the next blade I think that I am up this coming week. I need to pick something since I will be away for the weekend. Due to unfortunate events we had a last minute addition to our lineup in the form of "The-blade-that-shall-not-be-named".
View attachment 1912771

Perfect, so it's your turn to choose the blade to use next week?

IMG20240903191606.jpg

Good choice!!! Go ahead and choose which blade pack you prefer....

Perfect, so it's your turn to choose the blade to use next week?

View attachment 1912806

Good choice!!! Go ahead and choose which blade pack you prefer....
Yes it is my turn if I read the list correctly and as misfortune should have it the wheel landed on the blade-that-shall-not-be-named.

I am not going to pick your tuck my friend. You will have to pick your poison yourself.
Poisoned GIF by One Chicago

Shave #2 - Viking's Sword
RR Game Changer .76
Barbasol Shaving Cream (Regular)

Another fine shave. Two passes. Some minor clean-up. A little burning from the Clubman Pinaud.

The Viking's Sword is not as sharp as a Nacet in my opinion. Of course sharpness is only one characteristic and probably not the most important one (for me at least), but I wanted to note that for the record, because I am curious if anyone finds differently.

It is a good blade, but my initial exuberance was probably unwarranted.

Evening Shave - 09/16/24
Razor:
Merkur 41C

View attachment 1912771

View attachment 1912780
View attachment 1912784

We need input from our esteemed leader, @Balin, but I think those blades were a bit of a joke with you. I don't think those are part of the ten blade Bonanza.

2° shave whit Viking's Sword blade
Yaqi Mercury razor
Pannacrema Nostalgia soap
Viking's sword 1st blade (2nd shave)
Zenith Synth brush
Figaro aftershave

My daily driver is the Yaqi Mercury, which gives me great shaves without too much effort to maintain my perfect shave.
Quick shave, amazing shave and counter shave worthy of this blade.
The blade flowed and I didn't even feel it, caressing my face as if there was no resistance, finally I see an immense amount of what only a moment before was my beard and now shows up as a series of dots in the soap lather that I am about to wash from the blade.
Short passes in WTG and XTG to conclude my shave It was gentle and mild.
A BBS was achieved,the shave was pleasant,comfortable with no irritation!

Even on the neck, no blood and was able to go slightly ATG on the third pass on the neck.
The blade still feels very sharp and in my opinion it would be nice to do a long lasting test even more than a week, certainly can be good for me still for at least two more shaves.
In the hands of an experienced barbitonist this blade must be a feather, from my point of view I can say that it is a pleasure to let the Viching's sword slide from one side of my face to the other and enjoy the result.

I was surprised at how remarkably sharp this beautiful blade is regardless of the razor I use, I didn't feel it any less sharp than yesterday.
My opinion is that this Viking's sword blade for me ranks quite similar to the Personna Platinum and a tad better than the Satinex 2000 blades that are now unobtainable and discontinued.

Top Bottom