What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

Shave 2 with the TJax

Its been a slacker week. I shaved around 10pm last night.
1000006988.jpg

The shave was on 2 days growth but I managed a comfortable DFS. I am thinking that is not a very sharp blade. It was tuggy ATG under the chin and I really had to slow down and shorten my strokes. The upside is that there was no alum or aftershave feedback. I think when I started DE shaving I watched too many Geofatboy videos, because my default shaving method is to use long strokes which a sharp blade can handle well.

For today's shave I will use a new blade in my WR2 1.15.

Cheers!

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
@Flanders, I'm looking forward to your report in the Henson aggressive. So far in the Bonanza, it has gotten the most out of these less sharp blades for me.
I agree so far. You would have thought that the Blackbird could get more out of them, but as I said I found it needlessly aggressive. The clamping and safe design of the Henson seem to be the best choice when the blade needs to be pushed through. This was a new discovery for me as I have no problem using ASPs in my Blackbird, but maybe that was the wrong razor all along.

@cranewarrior
Alex did you not have more time to try the Treet King blade?
I'm curious about yours and how you compare it to the Tjax.
For me the Treet King is a very mild blade but quite distinctly sharper than the Tjax blade.
The Tjax is a good blade but for me not to buy in packs of a hundred blades, and it is good for daily shaves in fact this week I have been shaving almost every day.
It's been a long time since I shaved every day of the week, I only skipped one day.

@cranewarrior
Alex did you not have more time to try the Treet King blade?
I'm curious about yours and how you compare it to the Tjax.
For me the Treet King is a very mild blade but quite distinctly sharper than the Tjax blade.
The Tjax is a good blade but for me not to buy in packs of a hundred blades, and it is good for daily shaves in fact this week I have been shaving almost every day.
It's been a long time since I shaved every day of the week, I only skipped one day.
OK, I'll shave with it tomorrow and will post an epilogue here. LOL. The other gentlemen are wondering what is the deal with these random Treet comparisons.

Shave 3 with the TJAX - blade 2 1st use!
1000006997.jpg

I swapped to my WR2 1.15 OC and received a comfortable DFS. There was a a bit more alum and aftershave feed back than yesterday. It was still within acceptable limits. This blade felt sharper but maybe because it was only dealing with 16 hours regrowth. I will give the blade another go tomorrow in this razor.

@Pinto90

I had my first shave with a Treet King half an hour ago. I used the Van Der Hagen. Very smooth on par with the TJax. This is the best quality about both these Treets. It's near GSB-like in that respect, right?

But, the King is very mild too. There's a slight indention on my chin that requires a lot of buffing and clean up if a blade is not top-flight in sharpness. Alas, the Treet King didn't quite get there. I think it would perform better if I had more growth than a scant 20 hours' worth. I always get better shaves if I skip a day.

I will try it again tomorrow in a Fatip, but I can understand why you like these so much. They virtually glide across my face.

1000005128.jpg

Last edited:
@Pinto90

I had my first shave with a Treet King half an hour ago. I used the Van Der Hagen. Very smooth on par with the TJax. This is the best quality about both these Treets. It's near GSB-like in that respect, right?
For me Treet King smooths almost as much as more than the Tjax blade which I happened to skip occasionally.

I confirm Treet King is smooth but much less sharp than GSB, GSB blades last me for more shaves without'altro.
With Treet King I get only two good shaves, by the 3rd shave I see it has a decay in performance so I generally don't go beyond two shaves.
You should try using it Treet King on a nice razor like the Fatip you will see you will appreciate it more.

As sharpness the Tjax blade is among the least sharp of all the Treet blades I have tried so far with the exception of the Treet New Edge.
YMMV always applies.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
Shave 12

• Henson Ti +++
Treet TJAX
• Oumo ST-1 brush
• Aion Skincare Iris

This was easily the best, most comfortable shave with the TJAX. Both the Blackbird Ti and the Blackbird Lite delivered similar results in less time, but the blade support on those razors are less than ideal for this blade and they weren't as comfortable. Even with better blade clamping, the Nodachi wasn't any more comfortable than the Lite Bird. While this might have been the slowest shave I have had with the Henson, it was the right balance. I can't get any closer results with this blade so I am trading a few seconds for additional comfort. I still think the steeper blade angle helped too.

Have a nice weekend everybody! I will be back Sunday night to wield the Viking Sword.

TJAX blade 2, shave 3

Athena​
SV Desert Vetiver​
Yaqi Rainbow Pony​

I gave the TJAX a try in the Athena and had a very nice result. At least 3/4 of my face is BBS. This razor is kinda magic. The shave was not very enjoyable though, lots of resistance and tugging. I had to hack a the whiskers a bit. I thought I was going to come out with irritation, but there was only a bit of warmth on my chin. That's where I really had to hack to get things done.

This was the best shave with the TJAX, followed by the Henson. Both of those razors can get the most out of a blade.

Cheers to @Balin, two blades of the bonanza have been conquered. Thanks, Andrew!

Shave 4 TJax - Blade 2 shave 2
1000007008.jpg

I'm sort of glad this is my last shave with the TJax. It does not work in this razor at all. It was ok in my WR1 .74 and might be fine in in my WR1 .67 but I will try that at a later date. I had a comfortable DFS today but I really had to slow down to make the most out of this blade. I would rate this blade 5/10 and the Dorco Titan a 6. Its an ok blade but its no Treet Durasharp or Treet Platinum.

I am looking forward to tomorrow for the Viking Sword blade. I am a bit confused about this upcoming blade. RazorBladesClub has it listed as made in Israel so I am hoping it is smooth and sharp!

Cheers!

Top Bottom