What's new

Aristocratic August! 08/24/24 - 08/31/24

AnimalCatcher

Thinking of Ricardo Montalban
Yes, I believe you’re correct with “50’s” for that style.

I have the two earlier styles before this one but haven’t been fortunate enough to find one of this style in the kind of condition yours is in. Really excellent!

If you could keep your spectacles on for me, I’ll forever be in your debt sir.

View attachment 1903089
View attachment 1903090

View attachment 1903091
I just found this one (along with the other bottles pictured) in the back of my closet and I think it fits the bill. Not a perfect ten, but still quite displayable. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Also, a lousy picture (sorry about that) of a little bit of my Skin Bracer collection. Both 'Slap' bottles are in the back row, with a third one to the right holding a small bottle of Skin Bracer. I think it was probably used as a corporate or a pharmacy display piece, because I have never seen another.
IMG_4802(1).JPG
IMG_4790.JPG

What a shave! Haven't used one of my big bore boar brushes in months. The thing makes a heck of a lather in a jar of ARKO!

Aristocrat was an eBay score and sent to BRG for nickel plate.

Tried my hand at improvised Aqua Velva Musk with some Aqua Velva and Lustray Coachman Musk. It worked well!

B0E04DA6-CE46-4754-AD37-4FC029833975_1_201_a.jpeg

Head and face shave, used different razors and blades....just because: penultimate day of this run
Head: razor is Aristocrat Jr England (I think?) had trouble differentiating w Parat but this has wider knob
Blade: Personna #3 (german?)
Face: razor Aristocrat U.S.A
blade Gillette 7 0clock Permasharp #2

Soap: PAA Doppleganger
Brush: RR synthetic orange
AS: Tuff

For the head 2+ passes, i have had trouble finding the right angle w Gillette last 3 times (forgot how?) , been using others. But all in all, a good shave, the "german" Personna I find not the sharpest/smoothest blade.....should have used a G Platinum.

Face: 3 pass shave smooth and close no issues. Minimal irritation. This combination had some blade/head resonance, strnage sound.....vibration?

Anyway, both were good shaves.

Hope to try tomorrow with an England razor....maybe blade (if I find one....).

Cheers
PXL_20240831_034357208~2.jpg

Aristocrat no.66 • Rapira Platinum Lux
Barrister & Mann Spice • Plisson
IMG_20240831_065625534.jpg

Finishing my chronological trip through British Aristocrats, this rhodium 66 set is one of the early patent pending ones. I'll always believe that these are better than the later 4th gens but I have no empirical evidence whatsoever that this is in fact true! I rather suspect it's all in the mind.

I find the shave a little milder than the previous versions, but none the worse for that. I'm probably a bit 'aristocratted out' for a while now, but many thanks for inviting me in - it's a been fun extended week. Albeit rather dangerous to witness some of the amazing American ones that I don't own 😬 Must resist... must resist...

Date31.08.2024
366 daily shaves
245/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette #15 Aristocrat SBDorco Titan (29)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps
Barbershop (179+180)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

EffectivenessFacial Impact Score
FIS
8.50/10
(DFS+++)
10/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

My face shave was really enjoyable as we close out the Aristocratic week hosted by brother Ladd @Alum Ladd. Thanks Simon! It helped immensely in getting my usage count up for my crat razors so that’s great too. They are both marvels of Gillette productions.

Click here for today’s notes.

Enjoy your shave today!

Final shave of Aristocratic August, 8/31

1934 Aristocrat
Personna Comfort Coated (6)

Three passes, DFS

Final day for this Personna. Ultra comfortable and easy today, but headed down into DFS territory. Six straight days of intensive three-pass shaves on my wiry beard is pretty good for a blade, though. The Aristocrat grand dame performed flawlessly, of course.

I've just gotten a newer batch of Comfort Coateds, so I'm going to try one of those with the Aristocrat next week...and then maybe start another blade hoarding expedition if all goes well! :lol:

2024-08-31 07.36.08-1.jpg

Profound thank you to @Alum Ladd for organizing this fantastic week long event to honor and appreciate the fantastic razors that Gillette released as Aristocrats over more than half a century. This has been among my favorite threads of all during my B&B journey. Thank you also to everyone who shared their beautiful examples of these fantastic vintage gems.

AnimalCatcher

Thinking of Ricardo Montalban
Profound thank you to @Alum Ladd for organizing this fantastic week long event to honor and appreciate the fantastic razors that Gillette released as Aristocrats over more than half a century. This has been among my favorite threads of all during my B&B journey. Thank you also to everyone who shared their beautiful examples of these fantastic vintage gems.
I second what @mgweatherly said. Thank you @Alum Ladd for putting together this fun Aristocrat week. It was nice seeing everyone's beautiful Aristocrats and I look forward to next year.

lasta

Blade Biter
I second what @mgweatherly said. Thank you @Alum Ladd for putting together this fun Aristocrat week. It was nice seeing everyone's beautiful Aristocrats and I look forward to next year.

Yes, cheers to the B&B events ambassador.

Some of the most beautiful razors ever made!

However, after alternating between my two razors all week, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's Tech shave. Aristocrats are great shiny shinies, but in my mind, Techs are still the best shavers!

I just found this one (along with the other bottles pictured) in the back of my closet and I think it fits the bill. Not a perfect ten, but still quite displayable. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Also, a lousy picture (sorry about that) of a little bit of my Skin Bracer collection. Both 'Slap' bottles are in the back row, with a third one to the right holding a small bottle of Skin Bracer. I think it was probably used as a corporate or a pharmacy display piece, because I have never seen another.View attachment 1903415View attachment 1903416

I'm speechless. PM sent.

Ditto this!

Thanks so much @Alum Ladd , this thread has been a blast!!

Thanks also to the participants, your photos have been a pleasure!!

Razor: US Gillette Aristocrat c.1948-50
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum #6
Cream: Proraso Rinfrescanti
Brush: Wilko Synthetic
AS: Proraso Rinfrescanti

IMG_20240824_204506160.jpg

I end this excellent week of Aristocrat shaves where I began with the wonderfully smooth shaving and noticably efficient 1948-50 US Aristocrat.

Again a fantastic result with this BRG replated beauty. I have used all three of my tiny collection of Aristocrats this week, so it was not hard to rotate them, but noticable in even that small sample is how differently all of them shave based on country of origin, period and model.

One thing they do all have in common though is superb design, finish and a wonderful authoritative shave that they bring. They were deservedly premium products and that does come through even now in how they perform.

One could easily fall into a deep, bottomless but rather shiny abyss of collecting the numerous rich and varied models that were made and are still out there!

A great week, and may I extend my deepest appreciation and affection to all the good humoured, generous, knowledgable colleagues who took the time to join me on this little excursion.

I propose we gather here again in the last week of August 2025, G-d willing, to again celebrate the Gillette Aristocrats in all their varied and rich glory.

Thank you again Gents for all your assistance and kind indulgence.

Last Aristocrat shave :
Aristocrat Nr22 England
Blade Gillette 70clock Permasharp #3
TOBS Sandalwood cream
Brush: Chubby 2 Superbadger
3 pass shave
no issues
AS TOBS Sandalwood

I do like this razor and another Engl Aristocrat, that one w open comb....it's great when you haven't shaved for 3+ days....just put a new one and mow it down.
Thanks Alum Lad for organizing this and hope to meet you here next year..... (I do have a few still to use).

Cheers and have a nice weekend.

Top Bottom