What's new

An old coticule trick that worked for me

Did I say or do something to offend you and wid?
No.
You might be correct regarding why people pay allot of money for these.
They are also nice to look at.
However, i also think the pure performance of these are what makes them valuable.
If you get one that is not great for razors it will probably be a really good knife stone.
That is more then I can say about your typical La Grise.

Reactions: Wid
It was a La Verte I bought from 1Stone, it was junk.
heh, yeah, see below.
I have two Les Lat coticules. One rips steel off a knife like a synthetic stone, the other one is much smoother, and better suited for razors.
It can produce a shaving edge, but i will need to use the hybrid side to make it work. I don't like the hybrid side on this particular stone.
I have a small Les Lat from 1stone, it is a great knife stone. Blazing fast and coarse. The hybrid side works great for deburring and refining while leaving a nice working edge. I use it on my hatchet all the time. Not a good razor stone, the yellow side is very coarse and soft, autoslurries excessively and goes out of flat faster than a no-name synthetic soaker. And no way to bridge the yellow side to the hybrid side without another stone or maybe even two. And like Wid said, for what the hybrid side can do on it's own I have several other options that I'd choose first.

It was a La Verte I bought from 1Stone
I've always wondered...
He sells cotis with the AC stamp on, obviously those are from Ardennes Coticule. They are also rated accordingly select, select plus.
But he also sells coticules without stamp and without reference tot AC. Do AC even sell stones without their stamp?? What's up with that? Are those even coticules?

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I've always wondered...
He sells cotis with the AC stamp on, obviously those are from Ardennes Coticule. They are also rated accordingly select, select plus.
But he also sells coticules without stamp and without reference tot AC. Do AC even sell stones without their stamp?? What's up with that? Are those even coticules?

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Nicolas has evolved. Initially he was selling some stones labelled as coticules/hybrid rocks etc. Those were questionable pieces but as far as I can remember he never stated he got those from Ardennes.
He eventually established contacts with Ardennes and also found some old collection from Burton. Those were some spectacular pieces.
The stones he gets directly from Ardennes he sells as such including pics with owners of the mine. So if on his website he says they are from Ardennes then I bet they are.

Nicolas has evolved. Initially he was selling some stones labelled as coticules/hybrid rocks etc. Those were questionable pieces but as far as I can remember he never stated he got those from Ardennes.
He eventually established contacts with Ardennes and also found some old collection from Burton. Those were some spectacular pieces.
The stones he gets directly from Ardennes he sells as such including pics with owners of the mine. So if on his website he says they are from Ardennes then I bet they are.

If he evolved, it was a major evolution and it was recently. I had a bad experience, I will leave it at that. It’s obvious he did not value me as a customer, there are plenty other suckers out there.

If he evolved, it was a major evolution and it was recently. I had a bad experience, I will leave it at that. It’s obvious he did not value me as a customer, there are plenty other suckers out there.
Sounds like my experience with him as well.

Sorry to hear that guys. I thought the bad days were over since I have dealt with plenty of times without any issues.
I guess things are not as rosy.

Top Bottom