What's new

Alden Indy Boot vs. Red Wing Beckman

I have narrowed down my next boot purchase to these two. Having never owned either, I really have no point of reference. If you had to choose one, which would it be?

I'm looking to pick these up for casual wear. Thanks.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I'm partial to Red Wing since I own a pair of 8700. They are my daily work shoes and the best I've had.

Alden gets loads of rave reviews so I imagine they are great shoes as well but I don't own a pair.

Based off what I've read around here of Alden, they are probably the better shoe of the two.

I haven't had Alden boots either, but can attest to the high quality of Red Wings. I love mine and they are very comfortable after breaking them in, but it took awhile. Just make sure you get one of the models made in the USA, not all of them are.

My favorite, and by far the best quality boots I've ever owned are by Wesco, but they don't make a 6" as far as I know.

I own a pair of RW beckmans. The leather is fantastic. I like it much better than any chromexcel. Far more durable and even takes a shine.

However, I actually work in my boots. If I were to choose a pair just for walking around or office work, the choice would not be as clear. However, the Aldens are twice the price.... I believe you can get Alden Indy's in leather other than chromexcel as well.

PS- if it is not clear, I hate chromexcel for shoes/boots.

I do not own either. I do read up a lot on boots, and I don't think you can go wrong with either pair. I personally would probably lean more towards the Aldens, and my reason is pretty stupid actually. Whenever someone brings up Red Wing, a picture of the Irish Setters pops up in my mind and I think those are just horrible looking boots. The Beckman is a very nice looking boot, nothing like the IR.
Have you checked out Viberg ? They make a very classic looking boot, the "Service" boot, although I prefer it on a different last than what they normal are made on.
I own White's boots, they are out of Spokane, WA. I prefer them only due to the higher arch supports which helps with my flat feet. They are not quite as refined as an Alden or Viberg though.

Neognosis,
Just curious why you don't like chromexel on footwear ?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have the Alden boots and they are the most comfortable pair from my sizable collection. But I don"t have any experience with RW.

For really working, the Red Wings. For faux work or inside wear, the Aldens. It would be a shame (IMHO) to beat up a pair of Aldens in a true work environment.

For really working, the Red Wings. For faux work or inside wear, the Aldens. It would be a shame (IMHO) to beat up a pair of Aldens in a true work environment.

They're both for faux work. The Beckmans are made with a combo leather commando/lug sole and Chromexcel leather. While it's not terrible for getting beat up a bit, I would never think about wearing them for "real work". They're essentially a robust casual fashion boot.

I've got a pair of both, I've enjoyed the Alden's more as the leather (oiled nubuck) was easier to break in than the RW Beckmans. The Beckmans are a nice shoe and take time to break in. What material would the Indy Boots you're looking for come in? I think you can get a number of options from different shoe stores. The Beckmans have a cleaner look (I feel) but I've gotten more comments for the Indy Boots. I'd stick to the Indy's in a dark bulletproof leather (with commando sole) if I had my choice. If this isn't available, I'd go for the Beckmans.

I own Red Wing Iron Ranger's and three pairs of Alden Boots. Alden boots are a considerable upgrade over the Red Wings - and they have a similarly bolstered price tag to boot (pun intended). While many folks are afraid of beating up Alden's - rest assured, they'll take whatever you give 'em - and as long as you maintain them and have them rebuilt before they fall apart, they're tough as nails.

The biggest difference between the two brands is comfort and quality. The Alden's will have a softer/smoother ride (IE: absorb more shock) and softer leather (that's as durable as the stiffer leather Red Wing uses). The footbed and upper will mold to your foot better and faster, and the steel shank in the Alden will provide more support, which comes into play in rough terrain, or if you're over 175lbs.

The biggest issue I see in your comparo request is that they're two completely different styles, - one is a rounded plain toe, the other is a moc toe with stitching. Alden makes a plain toe that looks like the RW with a similar sole style - so that would be more of a "like for like" comparo. The two you're comparing have different soles and different appearances - so it really boils down to what style you like more. The Indy is more timeless/unique looking boot though - my eye is drawn to it more. I will say - the Indy is the most complimented piece of footwear i've ever owned, if that sort of thing matters to you.

Red Wing makes a fine boot... but it's like asking what's better a fully loaded $65K Ford truck, or a $90K+ Range Rover (and in a similar vein to the shoes - not many folks REALLY off road a Range Rover, but their off road prowess is stunning and even better than the Ford) . I'll take a Range Rover - but a $65K Ford truck is still awfully nice, super capable and more than enough for most folks. You really can't go wrong either way. If you do go Alden, I recommend getting the Commando sole. It's lighter than the neoprene sole, absorbs shock better and has superior grip. You can get Indy's with this sole, but they're limited runs and can be hard to find in a particular size.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The closest store to me to actually try on the Aldens is about 100 miles away, though it is a town I frequent often. As far as what I have seen online, I like the looks of this pair the best, primarily because of the complimentary colored stiching on the toe.

As as one can see, however, this has a leather sole, rather than the commando sole.

http://needsupply.com/church-hill-indy-boot.html

They're both for faux work. The Beckmans are made with a combo leather commando/lug sole and Chromexcel leather. While it's not terrible for getting beat up a bit, I would never think about wearing them for "real work". They're essentially a robust casual fashion boot.

False. Beckman's are not made with chromexcel. They are made with Featherstone leather, from REd Wing's own SB Foot Tannery.

They have not been made with cxl in a few years. Probably because chromexcel sucks and people who DO work in their beckman's, like myself, realized that after buying and wearing a pair.

Disclosure: I don't do construction. But I am on my feet a lot of the day, on varied outdoor terrain at times, and around heavy equipment. Beckman's will take the beating, and then after some brushing, will blend into meetings with salesmen and executives when you give your report on what the real workers did that day. HAHAHAHAAH!

I have the Beckmans in cigar and I love both the comfort and the style. I don't like that 'moc toe' look on the Alden's. A few of the other posts are off, they are made with featherstone leather, and all Beckmans are Union made somewhere in the us.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The closest store to me to actually try on the Aldens is about 100 miles away, though it is a town I frequent often. As far as what I have seen online, I like the looks of this pair the best, primarily because of the complimentary colored stiching on the toe.

As as one can see, however, this has a leather sole, rather than the commando sole.

http://needsupply.com/church-hill-indy-boot.html

That is a wonderfully gorgeous shoe, Joe. The double oak tanned leather soles from Alden are great and as chance should have it, I own a pair of Alden Indy shoes with complimentary colored lacing and double oak tanned leather soles. Take a look at this post I made with a pic of them, it has lots of Alden info that may be valuable in your situation.

The cork soles are actually nice - no knock on them. I made the assumption that when you mentioned Alden Indy versus a Red Wing, that you were looking for more of a "boot designed for work" look and were referring to the canonical Alden Indy 405's with tough brown matte work boot leather, cork soles and white stitching. The example you're showing is a limited run, specific to that retailer, and is more of a striking dress boot, than a work boot, thereby moving it to an entirely different category. Here's the two categories and have two different "personalities"...

1.) Dress/casual boot - "I'm a big deal, but i'm subtle about it.". The Alden's will look great with the right colored suit or slacks on, but are also at home dressing up a pair of jeans, so if you're into premium denim or want to portray a cleaner, more sophisticated look, it'll act as a force multiplier will really pop. Polished boots/shoes like that really up your game and stand out. For men, as long as you're reasonably fit, you have quality shoes on with a polish, tailored or well fitting pants (even jeans), and a well fitting shirt, you're going to stick out of the crowd (in a good way). The leather bottomed soles and the matching colored stitching make a big difference here. If you don't really put much attention into your look, or wear ill fitting clothing, these may look a little out of place. This is a luxury item.

2.) Work boot "I'm rugged and manly." The matte leather and rubber sole on the RW will project a more aggressive and ready for anything image. If you were to wear the RW's with a suit or slacks and a button up, it'd look out of place, especially when you crossed your legs, or folks could see the side profile with knobby tread. What it will do though, is look great (albeit rugged) in well fitted jeans and shirt, but will also fit in with loose, baggy or "work in the yard" attire. If you aren't actually a manly man (and by this I mean the kind of gent that could survive a week in the wild with only a camping knife and a water purifier). Depending on the individual they run the risk looking like a hipster (not in a pejorative way) or a poser if not man enough for the boot. This is not a luxury item.

Both styles have their merit and there's a place for both in a mans wardrobe - but they are certainly in different enough categories that they can't be reasonably compared. I see you're using it for casual wear, so i'd lean towards the Alden's as you'll likely see more use from that style of boot. If you could only have one pair of footwear, you'd want one that's dress/casual like this as it's so tractable. You are from Northwest Tenn though and I think you guys get a bit of snow, so note those leather bottomed soles aren't going to give you much grip in the snow, slush, ice or rain. The leather soles however, are incredibly comfortable when broken in and offer superb durability - so I wouldn't see them as a negative. If you're in the elements, lugged soles are the preference.

Again - my .02 is the Alden's. If you don't get them, you'll always wonder what you're missing, and you'll eventually cave in. If you go right to Alden - you'll likely lose interest in most anything else.

You can't go wrong with Aldens. They are great boots for whatever purpose you intend them. Personally, I prefer the Plain Toe in the Barrie last with neocork sole to the Indy as it's dressier and much more subtle. If you want something that's easy to break in and maintain get them in chromexcel. If you don't mind a long break in and maintaining them, get the leather.

That is a wonderfully gorgeous shoe, Joe. The double oak tanned leather soles from Alden are great and as chance should have it, I own a pair of Alden Indy shoes with complimentary colored lacing and double oak tanned leather soles. Take a look at this post I made with a pic of them, it has lots of Alden info that may be valuable in your situation.

The cork soles are actually nice - no knock on them. I made the assumption that when you mentioned Alden Indy versus a Red Wing, that you were looking for more of a "boot designed for work" look and were referring to the canonical Alden Indy 405's with tough brown matte work boot leather, cork soles and white stitching. The example you're showing is a limited run, specific to that retailer, and is more of a striking dress boot, than a work boot, thereby moving it to an entirely different category. Here's the two categories and have two different "personalities"...

1.) Dress/casual boot - "I'm a big deal, but i'm subtle about it.". The Alden's will look great with the right colored suit or slacks on, but are also at home dressing up a pair of jeans, so if you're into premium denim or want to portray a cleaner, more sophisticated look, it'll act as a force multiplier will really pop. Polished boots/shoes like that really up your game and stand out. For men, as long as you're reasonably fit, you have quality shoes on with a polish, tailored or well fitting pants (even jeans), and a well fitting shirt, you're going to stick out of the crowd (in a good way). The leather bottomed soles and the matching colored stitching make a big difference here. If you don't really put much attention into your look, or wear ill fitting clothing, these may look a little out of place. This is a luxury item.

2.) Work boot "I'm rugged and manly." The matte leather and rubber sole on the RW will project a more aggressive and ready for anything image. If you were to wear the RW's with a suit or slacks and a button up, it'd look out of place, especially when you crossed your legs, or folks could see the side profile with knobby tread. What it will do though, is look great (albeit rugged) in well fitted jeans and shirt, but will also fit in with loose, baggy or "work in the yard" attire. If you aren't actually a manly man (and by this I mean the kind of gent that could survive a week in the wild with only a camping knife and a water purifier). Depending on the individual they run the risk looking like a hipster (not in a pejorative way) or a poser if not man enough for the boot. This is not a luxury item.

Both styles have their merit and there's a place for both in a mans wardrobe - but they are certainly in different enough categories that they can't be reasonably compared. I see you're using it for casual wear, so i'd lean towards the Alden's as you'll likely see more use from that style of boot. If you could only have one pair of footwear, you'd want one that's dress/casual like this as it's so tractable. You are from Northwest Tenn though and I think you guys get a bit of snow, so note those leather bottomed soles aren't going to give you much grip in the snow, slush, ice or rain. The leather soles however, are incredibly comfortable when broken in and offer superb durability - so I wouldn't see them as a negative. If you're in the elements, lugged soles are the preference.

Again - my .02 is the Alden's. If you don't get them, you'll always wonder what you're missing, and you'll eventually cave in. If you go right to Alden - you'll likely lose interest in most anything else.

Good stuff right there...I had to laugh at the hipster reference. The boots I wear originally started out as a super tough work boot, over the years it is now becoming more of a trendy boot, even if it is not as upscale as the Aldens are.

I'm just wondering why all the hate for CXL ? I've only got one pair that are CXL and love them. I went with the CXL on the recommendation of a friend that actually uses his for work boots, he's a lineman... I don't think it can get any tougher than that and he wears his daily.

False. Beckman's are not made with chromexcel. They are made with Featherstone leather, from REd Wing's own SB Foot Tannery.

They have not been made with cxl in a few years. Probably because chromexcel sucks and people who DO work in their beckman's, like myself, realized that after buying and wearing a pair.

Disclosure: I don't do construction. But I am on my feet a lot of the day, on varied outdoor terrain at times, and around heavy equipment. Beckman's will take the beating, and then after some brushing, will blend into meetings with salesmen and executives when you give your report on what the real workers did that day. HAHAHAHAAH!

And then a pipe falls off the rack and crushes your foot because it's a casual boot and not a safety toe... :p

You're correct on the Featherstone, I think I got mixed up because it's my understanding that Featherstone is similar in many ways to Chromexcel, in that it's stretchy, and smooth finished. Either way, while it's a high quality leather, it's not really a work-boot leather. For that I prefer oil tanned or something you can throw Obenauf's or Sno-Seal on and not worry about messing up the look.

I'm in environmental consulting and split time between office and the field. In the field I'm usually doing sampling, drill logging/observation, construction management, etc. I'd never wear a pair of Beckmans for work, even yard work. They're a $300-350 boot and have no real labor-related advantage over the $200-250 "normal" boots from RW's work boot line. In fact they're deficient in some areas (e.g. a steel toe). This is why I call them boots for "faux work". You buy them to look good, not to work in.

I just got a pair of Beckmans for my birthday and promptly wore them on one of those multi-person beer bicycle trolly things. Even brand new they were comfortable, though I did put some gouges in the leather sole between the rubber from the pedals. Oh well.

While I agree the commando sole makes them look a little out of place in dress wear I don't think it's so bad you COULDN'T do it except at a really formal event. But I have little intent to wear them outside of jeans and maybe dockers, so it isn't an issue for me. This does remind me that I need to get a new pair of dress shoes though....

You're correct on the Featherstone, I think I got mixed up because it's my understanding that Featherstone is similar in many ways to Chromexcel, in that it's stretchy, and smooth finished. Either way, while it's a high quality leather, it's not really a work-boot leather. For that I prefer oil tanned or something you can throw Obenauf's or Sno-Seal on and not worry about messing up the look.

Featherstone is not stretchy like chromexcel. It is a smooth finished leather. It is much tougher than cxl. Cxl scratches if you look at it funny. Which is why it is popular with the crowd that doesn't do physical labor in their boots, but wants to look like they do.

Cxl also can suffer from what is called, on other forums, "wrinkled bull penis, " if the cut is from the cow's belly. My Wolverine 1K miles, made from cxl, are an absolute embarrassment.

cxl is soft, stretchy, very pliable, scratches very easily, and requires constant buffing, unless you want them to look like you stole them off a dead hobo.

It breaks in very, very easily and forms to your foot though, and looks like you have been wearing it for years. That's the appeal. Hipsters call it, and everything else they overpay for that degrages quickly, "patina."

I hate steel toes, which is why I eschew them for my beckman's. Plus, as I said, I can be kneeling on pavement or sitting on stones cross legged in the morning configuring equipment, and then show up in the same pair of beckman's in the board room after lunch and not look out of place if I give them a quick brush off.

And that's about all I have to say about that. Unless more misinformation about beckmans pops up.

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/...ts/6-beckman-cigar-9016-09016#productDetails1

Top Bottom