What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

It is funny when I bought mine that was the price for a whole one. They have gone up by a lot.
If I were living in the US or Canada it would be more within reach (at least within my investment boundaries). But I would still feel I needed to clear the den to avoid my RRA* from taking over.

But no regrets. I have plenty to be grateful and satisfied with, including perfect shaves.

*) Razor Rotation Anxiety

Date08.09.2028
366 daily shaves
253/366

RazorBladeBrush
DSC AX SSGillette Platinum (4)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Barbershop (185+186)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

EffectivenessFacial Impact Score
FIS
7/10
(DFS)
4/10
(Uncomfortable)

Notes:

Third shave and no fun! I was curious to know what the AX would be like with a better blade, so I loaded a Gillette Platinum. At first I thought it was a new blade, but after checking my stats it appeared to have had 3 shaves already. That’s ok, because Platinums tend to last longer for me. Or at least beyond 3-4 shaves. At first everything was cool. The Sylk knot provided an exuberant lather and it was slik to the max making the AX glide like an Indycar. XTG equally good I would say, until I got to my neck. The next 3 minutes were agony. First, in a total [male reproductive organ] move I placed the razor on my neck, but half way and somehow I literally caught myself using too much pressure and presto: I felt the blade dig into my skin. Ouch! Some much for a 1.55mm gap!! Subsequent ATG wasn’t fun at all and cheeks were in a similar fashion. Alum stung like a mother. I only applied balm afterwards and no aftershave to spare myself some additional yodelling. I think the blade might have had more shaves or the edge was already diminishing in returns, but this was no match. Or maybe just milder blades are better with this razor. I will use the razor again tomorrow, but I have pulled a Lord Cool from the stack to tone it down a little again.

Head shave on the other hand was pretty eventless. Smooth, comfortable and clean enough. The dermatologist treated my scalp last Thursday so I need to be more careful up top, but the Supply is very nimble in that respect.

Enjoy your shave today!

Last edited:
I don't know how close the DSC AX is, but the Yaqi open comb version was tight rope balance the razor on the teeth razor. No mercy on any kind of pressure.

Not a very good razor design IMO.
Well, using the Silver Star was really soft and smooth. I was definitely off my game today. Was a long time ago I had a less than shave.

Today‘s shave did buy it a ticket straight to the bottom of my stats!

Date08.09.2028
366 daily shaves
253/366

RazorBladeBrush
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green
Balm

FIS
7/10
(DFS)
4/10
(Uncomfortable)

Notes:

Third shave and no fun! I was curious to know what the AX would be like with a better blade, so I loaded a Gillette Platinum. At first I thought it was a new blade, but after checking my stats it appeared to have had 3 shaves already. That’s ok, because Platinums tend to last longer for me. Or at least beyond 3-4 shaves. At first everything was cool. The Sylk knot provided an exuberant lather and it was slik to the max making the AX glide like an Indycar. XTG equally good I would say, until I got to my neck. The next 3 minutes were agony. First, in a total [male reproductive organ] move I placed the razor on my neck, but half way and somehow I literally caught myself using too much pressure and presto: I felt the blade dig into my skin. Ouch! Some much for a 1.55mm gap!! Subsequent ATG wasn’t fun at all and cheeks were in a similar fashion. Alum stung like a mother. I only applied balm afterwards and no aftershave to spare myself some additional yodelling. I think the blade might have had more shaves or the edge was already diminishing in returns, but this was no match. Or maybe just milder blades are better with this razor. I will use the razor again tomorrow, but I have pulled a Lord Cool from the stack to tone it down a little again.

Head shave on the other hand was pretty eventless. Smooth, comfortable and clean enough. The dermatologist treated my scalp last Thursday so I need to be more careful up top, but the Supply is very nimble in that respect.

Enjoy your shave today!
That sounds like a challenging shave you had. Heal up quickly my friend!

Date08.09.2028
366 daily shaves
253/366

RazorBladeBrush
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green
Balm

FIS
7/10
(DFS)
4/10
(Uncomfortable)

Notes:

Enjoy your shave today!
Sorry to hear about the nick. Heal quickly my friend. My own experience with the WR2 design has been mixed. I have the 0.95, 1.15, and 1.25mm plates and so far I don’t find any of them particularly comfortable and all a little tricky to use. Similarly on blade gaps, I’m also finding the risk/reward of large gaps simply too high. Even for my Le Maurice I’m waiting on a 1.0mm plate as I find the 1.4mm unnecessarily risky. Wishing you better shaves to come!

My own experience with the WR2 design has been mixed. I have the 0.95, 1.15, and 1.25mm plates and so far I don’t find any of them particularly comfortable and all a little tricky to use.
Thanks Lee. Should be better tomorrow.

The point you make is exactly what is holding me back from the really higher end razors. There is no way of telling if they are for for you. The Ti95 could have very well been a fluke (which would have gutted me) and I am super glad it wasn’t. Same with the low end by the way of course, but that’s way less breaking the bank. Well at least I now know that higher gaps above .95 are not necessarily my path.

But still I think it was more the blade and my handling than it was the razor. It is very smooth. Need to revisit the owner’s manual…o wait…came without one! Haha!

1725807995591.gif

Thanks Lee. Should be better tomorrow.

The point you make is exactly what is holding me back from the really higher end razors. There is no way of telling if they are for for you. The Ti95 could have very well been a fluke (which would have gutted me) and I am super glad it wasn’t. Same with the low end by the way of course, but that’s way less breaking the bank. Well at least I now know that higher gaps above .95 are not necessarily my path.

But still I think it was more the blade and my handling than it was the razor. It is very smooth. Need to revisit the owner’s manual…o wait…came without one! Haha!
Your point about high end razors is a fair one. I’ve been fairly lucky in that in most cases price and performance are aligned (i.e. Titanium Blackbird, Athena, SS Overlander, Titanium Timeless 95). The one big true disappointment has been the Wolfman. It’s a fine razor, just maybe not at that price. But of course, YMMV, and I’m sure there are legions of wet shavers who disagree with me.

Don’t be that dude Guido. Doesn’t look like he’ll ever move outa pain. I had a bit of a hectic week and fell behind on reading journals. Belated anniversary congratulations. I hope you had an excellent celebration.
Thanks John! Yes we did! Dinner was lovely and I had a nice gift for the LOTH as well (fountain pen) and she gifted me a Supply 2.0 for my head shaves. Knocked me out of GRUYERE, but it shaves like a dream. Much smoother and more comfortable than my Schick with similar effectiveness. And the best part is that I can clean out my injector as this one is a two piece rather than a “true” injector.

And no worries about turning into Pinhead. I watched Hellraiser when in high school. Never touched a Rubikx cube for more than 20 years! Couldn’t get to sleep for more than a week! Yikes!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I followed Ricard / @Mr. Shavington 's advice and bought a Wolfman WR2 0.95 in basic polish bronze. It's right up there will all my Top Razors, but it is expensive, there is no doubt about that. One thing I enjoy about buying from Wolfman is the hollow 90mm handles.... They weigh in around 40 grams, right in my sweet zone. I doubt I'll ever buy different gap WR2 but I might add another 3/7 hybrid hollow 90mm handle sometime. I have quite a few bronze/brass/gold plated brass razors that work well with handles with their weight. It does seem a bit silly to spend that much on a razor handle and stand.... but I might save up for one. I haven't decided yet.

Date09.09.2028
366 daily shaves
253/366

RazorBladeBrush
DSC AX SSLord Cool (1)Abe’s Brush Works Blutt STF
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Barbershop (187)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

FIS
8.25/10
(DFS++)
7/10
(Comfortable)

Notes:

Fourth shave and with a great blade. Generally speaking I am quite pleased with Lord blades. I think they are of decent quality and some even excellent (like Sharks). So I thought to give another such blade a go (the shaves with the Silver Star were ok too so). It was a good shave this morning indicating yesterday’s blade was at least in part to blame. I felt the smooth and nimble razor like the shaves before and no damage was incurred today.

The Mühle knot delivered as usual so face lathering was very soothing and enjoyable. I don’t think my earlier projections of Mike’s getting to 250 were accurate, but I do think I should be able to hit the 200 mark.

Focused extra on technique, because that’s where I screwed up yesterday by overthinking my neck pattern while shaving. Purely based on this shave facial impact was minimal, but I am feeling some impact from yesterday still carrying over to today. Hence my score of comfortable. I am continuing with this razor until I reach my usual 7 shaves. So far this has been a pleasant razor to have and use. I may have had the wishful thinking that this might be a super effective razor or the one that could give that magical two pass BBS, but that answer is still no at the moment - although I will say that it is very effective on my trouble spots. More shaves to be had to see where it lands.

Enjoy your shave today!

Top Bottom