What's new

Boiling Brushes...

A few threads have mentioned the idea of boling water to soak a badger brush to create an even warmer lather.

Question: Does this have any detrimental effect on the life of said brushes?

A few threads have mentioned the idea of boling water to soak a badger brush to create an even warmer lather.

Question: Does this have any detrimental effect on the life of said brushes?

It will make the hair curl up and be destroyed. Don't boil brushes. They may have been talking about heating water to have hotter lather during shaves but not dipping a brush into boiling water. If you heat the lather up too much then you could fry the brush that way as well.

Wait what do u mean by boiled because i put my brush in a cup of hot water before shaving. But the water is not that hot its just the hot water that comes from my sink is that safe.

I've read on here that a few folks keep a small water boiler on hand around their sink for even hotter water. That's why I ask.

Would water straight out of the kettle damage it then? By the time I get it to the bathroom it's stopped boiling, am I damaging my brush?

Would water straight out of the kettle damage it then? By the time I get it to the bathroom it's stopped boiling, am I damaging my brush?

If you pour the boiling water out into your mug and immediately plop your brush in you will have a significant chance of damaging your brush. Even taking it the way you are describing is taking a risk of damage over time.

I frankly don't get why anyone would need to immerse a brush in water that hot, but to each his own...

If the water is uncomfortably hot on the skin, or hot enough to burn, I don't put my brush in it. I figure that if there's enough heat to damage my skin/hair, it's probably not good for the badger hair either.

I use a hot pot to raise my water temp to about 170 (about 30 degrees hotter than from the tap). I never get it close to boiling hot....

There are several things that can happen when you use water that is too hot, none of them good. You can damage the brush, you make it more difficult to build a good lather, and you can burn or irritate your face. I have found that the Moss scuttle keeps the lather and brush at a temperature that is just hot enough. Of course, the exact temperature in the scuttle depends on how hot your water is, but in general you don't need to get the brush or lather really hot.

Ken

Top Bottom