What's new

History of Shaving on TV tonight (11/7) - VIDEO NOW ADDED to this thread!!

To all those interested,
The National Geographic Channel is showing an episode called "Close Shave" on its program "Assembly Required", tonight at 9pm EST (check your local listings).

It's supposed to cover the history of shaving from using stones to the present day. The promo showed straight and DE razors, so I'm really curious to see how extensive this program is. Should be quite interesting! :biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Do you mean to tell me that they've come up with a replacement for the stone?

I'll have to tune in.

The Wallace and Gromit "A Close Shave" was really good. Hopefully some of it will end up on youtube I don't have the National Geographic Channel :sad:

I don't get the National Geographic Channel. I SURE would be NICE if someone taped it, then moved it to youtube or something for us ALL to watch. hint hint wink wink

Do you mean to tell me that they've come up with a replacement for the stone?

I'll have to tune in.

Yeah. Haven't you seen the Flinstones? Grab yourself a nice clam shell and find yourself a nice angry bee, put the two together and viola! razor! (note: I prefer to use wasps, honeybees just don't pack the punch needed and bumbles, well they are way too tame to get a good shave)

Yeah. Haven't you seen the Flinstones? Grab yourself a nice clam shell and find yourself a nice angry bee, put the two together and viola! razor! (note: I prefer to use wasps, honeybees just don't pack the punch needed and bumbles, well they are way too tame to get a good shave)

For best results you should use Honeybee Spa Shave Soaps...a natural match.

Just watched the whole thing... very informative. I have two things to say about the video:

1) That Marshall Brain is too smart for his own good.

2) The day that it becomes possible for one to be genetically modified such that one would never have to (get to) shave ever, will be the day that I commit Hara-Kiri. And I'll do it with a straight razor you can bet.

After watching, I have a few things to point out about the increased blade count in razors. I dont have time to post them all right now, but I'm going to watch again and post about it.

In the meantime, why dont we all set a date to show up at the Gillette test facility equipped with our favorite shave gear and show them the most wonderful shaves they have ever seen.

In the meantime, why dont we all set a date to show up at the Gillette test facility equipped with our favorite shave gear and show them the most wonderful shaves they have ever seen.

lol...I really like this idea! :thumbup: The thought occurred to me while I was watching it as well. I was dissappointed that they didn't make any mention of the recent upsurge in interest in "real" wetshaving, but was glad that, at least, at the end they did mention that maybe the "old" way was better than what "modern technology" has come up with.

I also thought it was a little odd that they made it sound like it was impossible to use a straight on yourself! :001_rolle

Why do I suddenly have this image in my mind of the peasants storming Dr. Frankenstein's castle armed with their scythes and pitchforks? :biggrin:

Why do I suddenly have this image in my mind of the peasants storming Dr. Frankenstein's castle armed with their scythes and pitchforks? :biggrin:

Because storming the castle with DE blades just wouldn't be intimidating, straights would be a little intimidating but still not nearly as much scythes and pitchforks. I mean can you just imagine the call "Okay guys grab your Murkurs, your Feathers, your Derby's, your IPs, your Personnas, your Gillettes, your 7AMs, your Tescos, your..." And then a group of guys storming the Gillette Castle, where King Gillette makes his 3, 5, whatever blade abominations, wielding their small DE blades and trying to figure out how to attack someone with it without cutting themselves.

Okay even I admit I let my imagination wander a bit on that post.

Hi Mark. Just watched the video as I missed the airing the other night. It is interesting. Two things come to mind immediately. First, if you closely watch the segments about multi blade razors, you'll notice ALL of the gents were applying a lot of pressure to the razor. I used to do the same thing. I am convinced that these razors can't be used with our no pressure technique for DE's. You will simply be required to make umpteen passes over your face to get it smooth. I was never able to get a really smooth shave with the Mock3 without serious irritation.

Second, even saying the above, it's more about the prep than the blade. An M3 with a great lather is far and away better than the best DE with poor prep. I consider lather part of prep. Most guys think of prep as a pre-lather step. In reality, it's the final step before shaving. I'm glad they emphasized that water is the lubricant for shaving. Though I don't follow Charles Roberts Method of shaving, I think there is a big impetus placed on the water retention of the lather in that system. I am im complete agreement that it's critical. If you could keep a stream of pure, soft water on you face while the razor touched it you probably woldn't need any other lubricant. However, you would then miss out on the feel of the bader bristles, the great scents of the lathers, and the relaxing ritual of making the lather. I certainly wouldn't want ot miss out on that aspect. All in all a good show and I was surprised and a bit happy to see electrics on the decline. It may take us awhile but we'll convert 'em all.

Regards, Todd

I watched this yesterday, the video was very informative and the amount of testing and secrecy associated with the new gillette and schick stuff is amazing. I just wish they would have gone into the resurgence of wetshaving.

This is a bit late, but I just found this in Comcast's "On Demand" service and watched it. It's remarkably well-rounded and informed. For the record, it's available in HD (wee!). I'm not sure how long it will be available there, but considering the meager HD offerings it will probably stick around for a while.

Top Bottom