What's new

History of Shaving on TV tonight (11/7) - VIDEO NOW ADDED to this thread!!

Thought this was excellent, thanks for putting the link on here.

To me they have reached and possibly croosed the line regarding the number of blades they put on razors, Gillette and the like.

More blades surely means more friction? Thats what i always feel when shaving with a mach3, fusion or king of shaves azor.

They keep saying on the video about the 3rd blade will cut the hairs the 1st and perhaps 2nd blade have missed, so from that school of though, how long until we have 8 blades, where the 8th blade will cut what the 6th and 7th blades have missed?

Four blades with a fusion and seemingly the wilkinson quattro, is basically like 4 passes with a DE blade imo, although time wise I guess you dont have to relather in between passes.

Does it seem to anyone else that perhaps they are focusing too much of development of new blades & handles and not enough on shaving creams/gels/brushes. I think that if you showed an average guy in the street how to use a brush regardless of price, they would experience a much better shave.

Maybe in a few years we will see the big companies market the complete shaving experience including a brush with 'Gillette' scrawled across it! By complete shaving experience I see that Gillette now have a new, face scrub, shave gel, moisturiser out in shops. That is like a step 1, 2 & 3 in the users search for the ultimate shave!

Its down to Gillette to educate people in how to shave, if they really do seem to want people to have the closest shave possible, which surely they must do, from seeing the amount of research that goes into new products.

One thing that really surprises me is that Gillette or in fact King of Shaves for that matter have not to my knowledge brought out a shave cream like taylors etc. I would have expected it to appeal to us and perhaps barbershops amoungst other people who would see it in stores while out shopping. They have their bog standard range, I am surprised they haven't released a 'luxury' range, different packaging etc.

Interesting about holding the water to the face they mentioned, I might try some method shaving further down the line, even just trying Roberts' 'The Cube' which seems to be well respected.

Just my ramblings/thoughts, anyway THANKS!

Very interesting video. I was intrigued to see the principle of the electric razor hasn't really changed much since its invention too. That simulation of the creation of razor burn made me wince. I wonder how many people watching this put together this fact together with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th blades would be doing their cutting after the first one has removed the protective shaving cream?

And $1billion to develop the Mach3? No wonder they charge so much for the cartridges. I'd be interested to know how their experimental results would fare in a peer reviewed scientific setting.

Having tried canned shaving foam a few years back when I gave up using my electric because I couldn't take the pain of it ripping out my stubble anymore, I never once got a decent comfortable shave using it. (The gel worked far better.) Interesting it was so popular back in the 50s. I guess aerosols were a novelty whatever form they took then.

Perhaps there is hope - they did make a brief suggestion at the very end that perhaps the older ways are still superior.

Top Bottom