What's new

How skilled are you?

How long have you been using a straight and which hand do you shave with?

• Straight <6 mos, Left handed only.

• Straight <6 mos, Right handed only.

• Straight <6 mos, Ampidexterous.

• Straight >6 mos, Left handed only.

• Straight >6 mos, Right handed only.

• Straight >6 mos, Ampidexterous.

Results are only viewable after voting.
What does this have to do with skill? For many it takes more than 6 months of every day shaving to even begin to be skilled and many only use one hand and get great shaves. Also someone may have been using a straight 6 months and been shaving 1x a week while another has been shaving less than 6 months and shaves every day.

What does this have to do with skill? For many it takes more than 6 months of every day shaving to even begin to be skilled and many only use one hand and get great shaves. Also someone may have been using a straight 6 months and been shaving 1x a week while another has been shaving less than 6 months and shaves every day.

I guess it has nothing to do with skill. I was just curious how many people used their dominant hand vs switching it up and I thought others might be too. I was also curious if there was a difference based on experience. I probably should have put number of shaves rather than months... Oh well guess it adds a margin of error to the results. Like Disburden said smoothness is where its at.

Even though the left hand was a bit tricky at first, I knew it was the proper way to do it, so I kept at it and eventually got better. Now my left's as good as my right when it comes to shaving

I started using my right and nobody told me to do differently until 20 years later. I am not real hot on relearning with my off hand.

I can switch hands without missing a stroke...

proxy.php

Ambidextrous from day one, but it wasn't easy. While shaving with you left hand - and using a straight no less - seems daunting, it makes things easier in the long run.

I use both hands on the sides of my face but I'm finding that I use my left hand(because I'm left handed) on the chin and upper lip area. I don't know if it's the correct way of doing it but I shave with the opposite hand on the up stroke on my neck.

I have and always use my right hand. After shaving for years, I still cannot use my left hand for anything but the shaves from my right hand leave me with a smooth shave.

If you are very dextrous with the right hand you do not need the left hand as well. Moreover I use the left hand to pull the skin taut. Does that count for ambidexterity?

Ambidextrous from day one, but it wasn't easy. While shaving with you left hand - and using a straight no less - seems daunting, it makes things easier in the long run.

+1... But knowing that you need to be ambidextrous makes starting from day one the only way for me to logically go about learning...

Top Bottom