What's new

Merkur Futur : How to strip it down!

Hi folks
Sorry if this has already been covered but I'm new here and could not find it, so here is how to strip and make the adjustment smoother.
First remove the blade.
Then set the head to position 6,
Now press the blade caridge and the bottom of the head together,
hold against the spring presure and unscrew the handle with your other hand.
Now you have it completely striped down,
put some silicone grease on the threads and reasemble in the reverse order of the above.
This still leaves the adjustment heavy due to the spring presure but makes the action a great deal smoother!
Hope it helps.

I let the razor soak in Mineral Oil overnight, in a soap case that I had, and that seemed to work just as well.

rvbert0 said:
I let the razor soak in Mineral Oil overnight, in a soap case that I had, and that seemed to work just as well.
A bit messy and time consuming?
Much quicker to strip and lube "just" the threads. less than 5 minutes from start to finish (no oill to clean up) !

Neat trick and it works well. You can easily clean out the gunk under the blade cartridge while you're at it.

Ta!
Gareth

Read your thread and had to try this on my Futur, and its great! As any Futur owner knows trying to adjust that baby either wet or dry needs a good grip and a bit of effort.

Thanks!

Hi folks
Sorry if this has already been covered but I'm new here and could not find it, so here is how to strip and make the adjustment smoother.
First remove the blade.
Then set the head to position 6,
Now press the blade caridge and the bottom of the head together,
hold against the spring presure and unscrew the handle with your other hand.
Now you have it completely striped down,
put some silicone grease on the threads and reasemble in the reverse order of the above.
This still leaves the adjustment heavy due to the spring presure but makes the action a great deal smoother!
Hope it helps.

Just have to say -- this tip works exactly as advertised. Thanks!
-- Brian

I have found that using a hand towel to grab the head of the razor by the sides allows me to apply more pressure without the danger of getting cut. That way, I can just "grab and twist". Still not brave/foolish enough to grab the cutting edges. I don't trust the towel THAT much.

Brad

I have found that using a hand towel to grab the head of the razor by the sides allows me to apply more pressure without the danger of getting cut. That way, I can just "grab and twist". Still not brave/foolish enough to grab the cutting edges. I don't trust the towel THAT much.

Brad

I too have found that using a towel works well. I don't mind the fact that the dial is kind of stiff, because I can easily set it with dry hands and just leave it that way. But this is still very usefull knowledge. Thanks.

I too have found that using a towel works well. I don't mind the fact that the dial is kind of stiff, because I can easily set it with dry hands and just leave it that way. But this is still very usefull knowledge. Thanks.

I am not sure, I have had no problems with my Futur relative to the dial. I just keep it cleaned and lubed. YMMV

Thats what I do. I like the fact that the adjustment is kind of stiff. Piece of mind that the setting is less likely to change "accidentally"

Top Bottom