What's new

who replates razors?

is there a member in these forums that could replate a gillette new for me? how much does it usually cost this kind of service?
thanks guys.

Yes, the price is per razor, 3 piece razors only. And I greatly appreciate it. I will have a Rhodium open comb slant before too long. :D

Im having them done professionally by a jewelry plater in shiny white rhodium. 3 piece only 5 day turn around. Rodd im waiting on lucky he is adding a handle and a cap from a bostonian. I think your shaver is going to look so wicked when its done. Its the most aggressive shaver I have ever used. Aggressive as in close cutting.

Nice!!! i dont really mind when a razor i am buying has discolorations,scratches or small cracks for that matter.......but someone was telling me lately that there are some health risks when using old metal that its not completely covered by plating , exposure to led and other chemicals ....do you think there is any truth on that? should we be worried?
be well guys

Nice!!! i dont really mind when a razor i am buying has discolorations,scratches or small cracks for that matter.......but someone was telling me lately that there are some health risks when using old metal that its not completely covered by plating , exposure to led and other chemicals ....do you think there is any truth on that? should we be worried?
be well guys

There is no lead in vintage razors. All exposed inner metal will be either brass (copper and zinc alloy) or copper. I don't see any harm that can come from contact with these extremely common metals.

Onotoman replates razors and I understand that he does it very well. Do a search and you'll see some of his work.

what are the considerations/reasons for plating in
rhodium?
nickle?
chrome?
Rhodium is more inert and resistant to wear and corrosion. It's what the premium razors were originally coated in, like british aristocrats.
Nickel is what the silver coloured techs NEWs, superspeeds etc were coated in.

I'm going to try nickel/cobalt plating, apparently like a shinier nickel plating, so closer to a chrome/rhodium finish.

I've never heard of anyone getting their razors chrome plated, though I know that's common with new razors. But there's a reason why the old nickel plated razors are still good and more modern ones have a problem with their finish sometimes. Chrome isn't very rust resistant and flakes easily.

Thanks Pablo. cobalt....interesting. I understand about the chrome. good points. I think from this, if i was to replate, cobalt or rhodium looks like the 'best' (silvery shiney) choice. I understand nickle dulls quickly.

Thanks Pablo. cobalt....interesting. I understand about the chrome. good points. I think from this, if i was to replate, cobalt or rhodium looks like the 'best' (silvery shiney) choice. I understand nickle dulls quickly.

Bright nickel doesn't dull, Gillette used a rather thin satin nickel.
Zinc alloys need to be copper plated to seal the zinc from the acids used in the top plating.
Copper alloys need to be nickel plated before they can be plated with chrome or gold.

I know that everyone has mentioned replating "3-piece only," but is it possible/feasible to re-plate old TTO Gillettes, or would it require taking them apart and going through a big hassle??

V

VR6ofpain

I know that everyone has mentioned replating "3-piece only," but is it possible/feasible to re-plate old TTO Gillettes, or would it require taking them apart and going through a big hassle??

There is a guy on eBay who was selling a replated Flare Tip Super-Speed. Looked great, but I think his photos are altered. I noted all of his razors for sale look especially white, so I think he modifies the white balance of his picks to make the razors look really good.

You'd have to take the TTO apart and replate the pieces individually. Replating involves immersing the negatively charged pieces to be plated in a positively charged solution that contains the metal. This is naturally not a good idea for joints or hinges where two pieces are coming in direct contact with each other on a fully-assembled razor. Plus, I believe you'd have to prep the parts first to remove any old plating so that the new plating is uniform.

I know Cooncatbob only sends 3 piece razors to his replating shop, but IIRC, there's somebody here (UK-based, I think) who does replating, and I think he's done some TTO's. I wish I could recall the name, but it escapes me at the moment :mad3:

I would require taking them apart and going through a big hassle, which is why most people don't do it.
It's possible though, but a replater wouldn't want to take it apart obviously, you'd just have to disassemble your self or find someone who will.

Top Bottom