What's new

Open Comb Slants

The first two vintage open comb slants has arrived. :D Here are some pictures to temporarily satisfy people's curiosity. I will shave with it in the morning and share details.

The only marking on the razor is "Made in Germany" on the handle. The case is only marked "Germany" The used blades that were left in the blade container are U1 Gillette Blue Blades if that helps date it.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Does anyone see any reason I should not have it Rhodium plated? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

It doesn't look like it has the uneven exposure of a Merkur Slant. Can't wait to hear how it shaves. Go for the rhodium.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's one great looking tool!

That razor is going to shave VERY nicely. I dont know why people think open combs are more aggressive but i could be totally drunk and shave with my Merkur open comb without hurting myself.

It does ingrain some bad habits, i went back to a 40s SS and cut myself up BAD because i was used to the gungho attitude that i used with the open comb.

Luc

Staff member
I have to chip in now... I think everyone see 'aggressive' differently. I see aggressive as 'cut more whiskers' and less aggressive as 'cut less whiskers'.

I cannot comment on the Merkur 34c or a 40 SS but, the Mulhe Open Comb and Gillette NEW are aggressive for me. My SS (55) is cutting whiskers but not a much as the open comb. The Slant is in the same Open Comb league even if it's a close comb...

I have to chip in now... I think everyone see 'aggressive' differently. I see aggressive as 'cut more whiskers' and less aggressive as 'cut less whiskers'.

I see 'more aggressive' as 'more likely to shave skin in addition to whiskers' and 'less aggressive' as 'less likely to shave skin in addition to whiskers'. I guess it amounts to the same thing, only with the emphasis on the negative aspects of aggression instead of the positive.

Luc

Staff member
I see 'more aggressive' as 'more likely to shave skin in addition to whiskers' and 'less aggressive' as 'less likely to shave skin in addition to whiskers'. I guess it amounts to the same thing, only with the emphasis on the negative aspects of aggression instead of the positive.
It's always a point of view... :001_smile

Regarding open combs in general, remember, all are not created equal. In some, the blades sits directly, or nearly so, on the comb. In others, there is a gap between the blade and comb surface. Some are more aggressive than others.

-Clarke

Top Bottom