What's new

Different Way to Lather Creams

Pics below!

Ok, so I've been lathering my creams a little different lately. As usual, I allow the brush to soak in a mug of hot water for a while...while I shower (about 7-10 minutes). After the soak, instead of a gentle flick, I give it more of a hard shake so that a good majority of the water is removed. Then, after putting a glob of cream in the bowl (which has been heated with hot water), I'll add some fresh hot water to the bowl....about two teaspoons. Then I'll start swirling.

Some observations:

1. Lather is much "wetter", more luxurious
1a. This moistens the beard a great deal more

2. Lather is easier to make (this may be YMMV issue)

3. Lather stays hotter (I don't have a scuttle)

4. This may solve the "water in the tub of cream" issue that happens when trying to gather cream on the brush.

5. Lather doesn't get stuck into the base of brush where its useless, it remains at the tips where it can be used.

6. Nice change of pace

Pictorial:

Equipment used:
SR 3124 Silvertip
Musgo Real Cream
Bowl
Mug

full

Brush Soaking:
full

Bowl getting warmed up with hot water:
full

Cream added to bowl:
full

Small amount of water added to bowl w/ cream:
full

Brush after a hard shake:
full

After 15 swirls:
full

After 30 swirls:
full

After 50-60 swirls:
full

After 70+ swirls:
full

Final product:
full

Hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, that was a great post. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. And tomorrow morning, I'll do it with my prize Green Pond Sandlewood cream that I'm waiting to try out.
best,
Eric:smile:

That's very similar to how I do it, but I use a tad less water in the beginning I think, and add a splash as necessary. Don't like the foamy lather :biggrin:

J

I agree. That's how I've been doing it. When people talk about having a lot of water in their brush I always think, 'why would you do that?'.

I soak my brush for about a min awhile I collect other things (maybe not long enough i donno). I put a couple of teaspoons of water(just warm) in the mug. Then grab the brush shake the water out of it, then scoop up a small dollop of shaving cream and start whipping it up in the bowl. It whips up fast. one 'secret' to making fast lather is being able to eye how much water to put in the bowl the first time, because you don't have to slowly raise the water amount.

I'm still noobish (4 months) so I'm sure there's some other things I could be doing in addition, but I'm pretty confident that the things I'm doing is the best way. Again, pretty close to what he said.

(I don't use hot hot water to make a lather because I heard it's harder with hot hot water(e.g. lathering in a scuttle, they say to lather elsewhere then put lather in the scuttle (sounds like a pain in the arse (I use a african self watering pot, works good, lather then put the bowl in the hot bowl)))))

oh, one other thing I do that I think is smart. When I take the shake-dry brush with the dollop of shaving cream to the bowl with a few teaspoons of water, I sort of start by doing small circles to make a uniform slurry of the cream and water... THEN I start whipping it up. Seems smart to me. I like the cream at the tip of my brush, not all through it. Easier to clean it when I'm done too.

Well done! I'm impressed by the small amount of cream you needed for such a huge blob of lather. Musgo real seems to be more economical than, say, Proraso.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, and the encouragement!

I used the Speick cream today, with somewhat less cream, and still gobs of lather were produced.

I've been thinking of posting some more pics in this thread... lathering in this manner, with a different cream. These are the creams I have (other than Musgo):

Any preference as far as what you'd like to see?
Tom's of Maine Peppermint
OLIVIA (several scents)
ARKO
Speick
SCS Sample

Brush preference?

These are brushes I have:

Omega Boar
SR 3124 Silvertip
SR 104
C&E Super Badger (the big one)

I do something similar, when I don't lather on my face. I just add the water gradually as I swirl. Works great.

I would love to see Olivia lathered up. I've heard great things about it, but also that it is a little hard to lather....

-Mo

moses said:
I would love to see Olivia lathered up. I've heard great things about it, but also that it is a little hard to lather....

-Mo

You got it pal, I'll do an Olivia (hopefully tonight). Stay tuned...

I didn't know that method was especially different - it is the method that I use when I am using cream from a tube or a small tub (i.e., a sample)... well, most of the time...

NMMB said:
I didn't know that method was especially different - it is the method that I use when I am using cream from a tube or a small tub (i.e., a sample)... well, most of the time...

Well every other pictorial or lathering video I've seen has done it different.

I have read that the Tom's of Maine is actually one of the better creams to be using on your face, less nasty ingredients I guess.... so, I would love to see how that one lathers.... if you'll do it for a girl...lol :thumbup1:

Mama Bear said:
I have read that the Tom's of Maine is actually one of the better creams to be using on your face, less nasty ingredients I guess.... so, I would love to see how that one lathers.... if you'll do it for a girl...lol :thumbup1:

You betcha! I'll post it up as soon as I can. :biggrin:

Top Bottom