What's new

Wooden Razor box. Any interest

If I made wood razor boxes similar to this vintage Gillette box would any members here be interested?
proxy.php

Those are great boxes. Fantastic design. I wonder why they abandoned that for the cheesy velvet-lined cases.

Didn't velveta cheese once come in a wooden box? Oh, wait that was cheesy velvet lined. Never mind. :lol:

Seriously, I'd be interested if, as others have said, the price is right.

Guesstimate on the price?

One of the hardest parts of this project is finding a suitable latch and hinges.
Looking on line the hinges fell into 2 categories, cheap junk and ungodly expensive (+ $20 a pair).
I did find what I hope is a suitable latch and hinges and I bought a few to try.
The latch and the hinges will determine how thick the wood needs to be and that determines material cost.
A item like this needs to be reasonably priced otherwise a person could just buy a Pelican case.

I'd drop a 20 on one if it was finished (not raw). I don't really care about the quality of the hardware, or the color.

Keep us posted!

I'd be interested. Maybe you could have a basic box for budget-minded folks, and a high-end box for those who are willing to spend more.

Interested as well, but with a question. Would these be just for Gillette razors or would they be available for.... lets say a Gem?? :biggrin: You know one of us had to ask. :lol:

Interested as well, but with a question. Would these be just for Gillette razors or would they be available for.... lets say a Gem?? :biggrin: You know one of us had to ask. :lol:

The insert in the box is a separate piece, so there's no reason the box couldn't be made to fit a Gem.
Also the channel where the handle sits could be cut for slim or fat handle razors and there could be an extra long box for large razors like the Vision, the Barberpole Merkurs and other extra long handled razors.

Well it certainly looks like there's enough interest to precede.
When I receive the hardware I ordered I'll make a proto type and we'll go from there.

Top Bottom