What's new

What's special about the "1940's" Superspeeds?

I'm thinking about picking up a Superspeed on eBay. I've heard numerous people say the 1940's are better than the later model. Why specifically is that? What is the cutoff date for the superior ones? Is there any way to tell by looking at them since many eBay auctions do not list the date?

I am rather new to this but are the 40's SS's not identified by the _lack_ of a conical TTO knob?

(in the pic below; the top one would be a newer SS the lower a 40's if my impression holds true)
proxy.php

I'm thoroughly confused about the Superspeeds now.

Someone on SMF told me that "1940's Superspeeds" actually refers to those sold through the 1950's.

Also, what is the difference between the ones with the silver knobs versus the colored knobs?

The reviews section on this page pictures the 'coneless' version that I believe to be the '40s ss'.
You can view at:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4913

It lists the date of manufacture at 1948-50 noting a nearly identical unit was in production in 1947.

I have one; not sure of the year but it does have a notched center bar; but haven't had chace to use it just yet. Still perfecting my shave with a Tech before I try others.

OK, first of all, you need to read the sticky post at the top of this forum:

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1303

Go read it now, look over the photos, and come back. I'll wait right here.

Really. Go.

OK, welcome back.

As you now know, there are two types of SuperSpeeds: the "40's style," which was actually made from 1947 to 1953 (47 through 49 or 50 lack a date code stamped on the bottom of the head), and the "50's Style," which was made starting in 1953 or 1954 and then throughout the 50's to I don't know when.

The handles are different, of course, but for the purposes of shaving, we don't really care about this. Instead, we care about the shape of the shaving head, and the way it holds the blade.

Looking at the first photo in that thread, you may not notice much difference in the head shape, but look at the second photo, and observe the profiles of the heads.

Basically, the 40's SS head is "taller" and the 50's SS head is "flatter." This translates into a slightly different angle between the blade edge and the safety bar. It seems that a somewhat greater percentage of shavers here prefer the shave that the "taller" head gives. This is certainly a personal preference.

That's the main difference as far as shave quality is concerned.

Similarly, you can see that the "FatBoy" adjustable has the 40's SS-style "taller" head than the "ThinBoy" adjustable's 50's SS-style "flatter" head.

I myself have a 40's SS and a Thinboy, meaning I have razors with both styles of head. I notice the difference, and I think I prefer the "taller" head. I may now get a "FatBoy" and see what happens.

Anyway, that's the difference. Hopefully, you'll find this helpful.

-Warr

jduffy said:
I really like the clothes pin holder for the razors. That is outstanding! :biggrin:

That's my handywork there. :001_tt2: :lol:

In that photo the top one is a 1960's SS and the bottom is a 1940's, the 1940's doesn't have a date code on it though so it's a bit hard to date exactly.

Top Bottom