What's new

Review 2 of 3: Pinaud Citrus Musk

View attachment 31794

The second of three AS's ordered from this site is actually an EDC. I own most of the Pinaud line of aftershaves and let me say Citrus Musk is wholly different from their other stock. The signature Pinaud scent is typically pungent, spicy, bold and somewhat powdery after a time. These are not adjectives you would use in describing C.M.

In the bottle it has a strong medical grade alcohol mixed with lime odor. When first applied a strong alcohol burn and scent was noted. That quickly dissipated into a heavy lemon/lime odor which is pleasing if a bit heavy. Gradually at about the three minute mark it shifts to a lighter fresh lime scent. As even more time passes, perhaps 15 minutes or so, a truly lovely fragrance settles in.

I have read many threads from guys requesting suggestions for a natural citrus scent vs. the man-made, candy like aroma common to many fruit style AS's. Gentlemen, in my opinion this fits the bill. There are several things happening at once in my nasal passages. It has a light, airy, fresh odor like a damp meadow or perhaps freshly laundered clothing. There is a pleasing hint of soap detected within the mixture. All of which is underscored by a wonderful citrus rind aroma. Imagine holding a ripe unpeeled orange immediately followed by an equally ripe unpeeled lime up to your nose and inhaling deeply each fragrance. All these scents are competing yet complimenting one another, wafting around me in ever changing waves of smells. I cannot characterize it as strictly lemon/lime or strictly orange; it is truly an eclectic citrus splash. I am really blown away by this product.

As best I could tell reading the ingredients there is no glycerin or aloe added, but one of it's properties must be used to moisturize because my skin feels soft and supple after use. Perhaps one or the other is included but not listed as a main ingredient. I posed a question several weeks ago whether or not EDC's and EDT's can be used as aftershaves. The general consensus was yes you can. I have no trouble recommending this be used in lieu of a product labeled as a true AS. All the properties we love in an AS seem to be present and accounted for here. I highly recommend giving this a try even if you are not a fan of Pinaud's other products. As mentioned before this is a whole different animal. It is going to be one of my go to splashes from here on.

I like the Citrus Musk better than the Lime Sec. The lime scent is a bit muted in the Citrus Musk. IMO, the man-made lime scent is a bit too strong in the Lime Sec.
Very nice review!

I couldn't agree more...I have been a little reluctant to use it as an AS, but it seems to work fine, and the scent is great! I think I may add a little glycerine myself. Oh..did you mention price? Hard to beat!!

the stuff sounds good.i tend to avoid musk a/s,as most are way too sweet to me.but it sounds as if there is little musk in this and a lot of citrus,i love citrus type a/s.i'll have to get some.

I was torn between ordering Lime Sec and Citrus Musk. In fact they were both in my check-out cart at one time, but I decided against the Lime Sec as I already have a lime AS (by Stephan) and some people were saying it smells like candy more than fresh limes. I'm still interested in trying it someday though.

I was torn between ordering Lime Sec and Citrus Musk. In fact they were both in my check-out cart at one time, but I decided against the Lime Sec as I already have a lime AS (by Stephan) and some people were saying it smells like candy more than fresh limes. I'm still interested in trying it someday though.

Seriously, I don't think I could figure out which is which in a pepsi challenge. They are VERY close.

Hey Shep great review !! i read all three reviews good work thanks!!
if you will pm me your address i would like to send you a sample of
the lime sec so you can compare and share your opinion
cheers
charliec

It's cheap enough so that you can always give it a whirl if you'd like, but honestly you're only missing something if you'd like an EDC that smells exactly like a green jelly bean. It's lime alright, but it's just far too sweet smelling for me. The only thing I can stand to use it for is cat repellent.
Seriously, I don't think I could figure out which is which in a pepsi challenge. They are VERY close.
I can only speak for myself but I would never have any trouble picking out the two. I can easily identify Citrus Musk's top notes of lemon and orange. For Lime Sec, again, all I have to do is close my eyes and imagine green Easter jellybeans.

I love a good lime/citrus AS, and I'll definitely give this one a try . . . I tend to think of them as warm weather scents, but down here on the coast we hardly have anything but, so . . . :001_smile

NANP™

Charliec has kindly agreed to send me a vial of Lime Sec so I'll be testing it out pretty soon.

Look, Clubman is IMO the strongest and harshest in the Pinaud line. I've mentioned in a previous thread that it's one of those where you really only need a 1/2 splash. Truthfully my use of Clubman runs in spurts. It sits in the cabinet for awhile and then out of the blue I decide to use it. As noted in another review Coachman will likely become its replacement in my rotation.

I've made no secret I am a Pinaud fan so I am biased, but I do believe their other scents are much milder and more pleasant. Citrus Musk in particular is completely different from anything else they carry (aside from possibly Lime Sec). I strenuously maintain CM is nothing like Clubman; they couldn't be more different. If you are in the market for a natural fragrance, citrus scent and don't want to pay alot, I cannot recommend this highly enough. Marty if you find you can't get off the fence, PM me an address and I'll shoot you a sample.

Top Bottom