What's new

Recommend me an aftershave

Today I saw the light. Thanks to the guidance of my fellow B&Ber's I have realised that I am missing out on an essential part of the shaving process - the Aftershave.

Up until now I have associated 'aftershaves' with high alcohol content products that smell awful and feel like a hand grenade has just gone off under your chin which have been manufactured by the top perfume houses (Because they know what they are doing right? If its called an aftershave then you use it after shaving right? These manufacturers would not manufacture and market something that actually damages your face, right?:001_rolle)

I have been using Balms with no alcohol content up until now but find that they can be greasy, leave my skin looking shiney and I believe block pores which lead to spots.

I would like a splash that tones the skin without burning like hell, smells good and does not leave my face looking shiney or feeling greasy. I had a real bad reaction to Alum when I first used it and no longer use an Alum bar, so it cannot contain Alum either.

I was thinking Proraso AS? Anything else I should be considering?

Cheers

Jules

I've started using CO Bigelow skin toner that I bought at the Bath and Body Works at the local mall. I splash a bit of it on immediately after shaving. Once dry, I follow up with my alchohol based splash of choice. I get the befefits of the cooling effects of the a/s (particulary AV or Skin Bracer) without the sting.

Today I saw the light. Thanks to the guidance of my fellow B&Ber's I have realised that I am missing out on an essential part of the shaving process - the Aftershave.

Up until now I have associated 'aftershaves' with high alcohol content products that smell awful and feel like a hand grenade has just gone off under your chin which have been manufactured by the top perfume houses (Because they know what they are doing right? If its called an aftershave then you use it after shaving right? These manufacturers would not manufacture and market something that actually damages your face, right?:001_rolle)

I have been using Balms with no alcohol content up until now but find that they can be greasy, leave my skin looking shiney and I believe block pores which lead to spots.

I would like a splash that tones the skin without burning like hell, smells good and does not leave my face looking shiney or feeling greasy. I had a real bad reaction to Alum when I first used it and no longer use an Alum bar, so it cannot contain Alum either.

Cheers

Jules

Yes yes!! Proraso Aftershave splash! You're on the right track! I have tried many, many aftershave splashes (it's one of my more serious ADs) and I use Proraso more than any other. It has alcohol, but the burn is very minimal, and it is quickly replaced by a pleasant cooling sensation from the menthol. The scent is really wonderful, but fades quickly, making it perfect if you ever wear cologne. In my experience, women adore it. :thumbup1:

I also have a problem with A/S products making my skin too greasy/shiny. I can only use balm on my neck for this reason. A splash of Proraso heals/protects my skin, makes it feel nicely cool, and it never gives my the dreaded oily shine.

There are other fine options out there as well (Alt-Innsbruck, Musgo Real, etc...) but I reach for the Proraso most often. FWIW, I'd stay away from Speick if you have a problem with Alum (it's one of the ingredients). Works well, but I traded mine away because I couldn't get used to the scent (citrus/urine to me).

Boosters and SCS are great and the scent doesn't last. Thayers witch hazel is very good and QEDs hydrosol is a little more $ but isn't your face worth it?
If you want OTC, I'd pick AV or Clubman.
You can buy trial size quality AS like Proraso, Floid, Alt Innsbruck and many others at superlather.com and not break your wallet.

You might think about trying the scented witchhazels by Thayers. They don't have alcohol and dry very nicely while providing the soothing qualities of an AS.

The thing is you say you don't want the burn and you don't want the "greasy" feeling. Most (not all) AS's do contain alcohol for disinfectant purposes. Most also contain glycerin and/or aloe for moisturizing. Personally I love that moist feeling they give my face. I don't consider it greasy at all, but if you don't like that then most AS's won't work for you. Try the Thayers. I use the Rose Petal version after every shave and think the scent is heaven. I usually add an AS a few minutes later, but a couple times I have used the WH by itself. The scent did hang around for a little while and my face remained soothed so it works. Good luck.

You might think about trying the scented witchhazels by Thayers... Try the Thayers. I use the Rose Petal version after every shave and think the scent is heaven. I usually add an AS a few minutes later, but a couple times I have used the WH by itself. The scent did hang around for a little while and my face remained soothed so it works. Good luck.

I'll second that opinion.

I use Thayers sometimes as an AS and also put some on before I go to bed at night. Witch-hazel is great for your skin.

David

No matter what, make sure you use a toner (witch hazel or otherwise). I find that if I skip the toner, the AS doesn't cool or moisturize half as well.

Jules, Thayers is quite hard to get here, but Boots have some witch hazel products, as do most supermarkets.

FWIW, I like the Proraso splash, and Musgo Real, although i think from what you've said about your skin, you might find the Musgo a little oily.

You can't go wrong with Musgo Real or Proraso. The Musgo may feel a little 'tacky' i.e sticky on your face if you use too much. I love the Proraso splash though, no burn to speak of, a relatively delicate fresh scent (compared to other Proraso products which are strong and medicinal imo) and my skin feels great after using it.

Having a similar problem.
Iam struggling to decide what kind of aftershave to use.
I know most people say, stay away from products that have alcohol in them as it dries out the skin.
However I have problems with ingrown hair which can becoming infected and often have sore bumps or oily spots appear after shaving, especially on my neck.
Should I not be using an aftershave with alcohol (I know it stings) to help stop infection?
I could then use my moisturiser to help with dryness from the alcohol?
Would this work?

Having a similar problem.
Iam struggling to decide what kind of aftershave to use.
I know most people say, stay away from products that have alcohol in them as it dries out the skin.
However I have problems with ingrown hair which can becoming infected and often have sore bumps or oily spots appear after shaving, especially on my neck.
Should I not be using an aftershave with alcohol (I know it stings) to help stop infection?
I could then use my moisturiser to help with dryness from the alcohol?
Would this work?

I use all sorts of AS's with alcohol and do not find they dry out my face. In fact my face feels very much moist after using them. That is because most of them contain glycerin (some aloe), and the alcohol content isn't enough to dry me out. Of course results may vary for you, but give one or two a try before making a final decision.

(snip)

Cheers

Jules

Speick AS splash is your friend!

I'm sure Joel's review mentioned that Speick contains alum... The OP might want to avoid it. :smile:

Top Bottom