What's new

I really need help!

So I used to be one of the people who shaved with Gillette Everything. But i kept getting sooo much irritation. I recently got a DE razor, shave soap, aftershave lotion, and a badger brush. But i STILL get so much irritation and dread shaving.

For one, my grain grows in a horrible pattern. I have to shave at the weirdest angles and I get so many razor bumps by my adams apple because I have to shave horizontally around there.

My beard also NEVER feels soft I shower, use a cleanser, a face mask, etc. but it still feels roughs.

When I use my badger brush, the lather keeps slipping. This may be because I sweat so easily, but I can't help it if I have to take a hot shower and use warm water on my face before I shave.

And no matter how long I massage the lather into my beard it still doesn't feel soft.

Any help? Sorry to ask so many questions but I DREAD shaving even with the brush, etc. and I thought it was supposed to help. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 29396View attachment 29397

I'm going to step in and welcome you aboard. I will however defer to the advice of others as you seem to have some serious issues, and I'm not sure anything I say would help. You appear to be doing plenty of good prep work which should soften things up nicely. Perhaps you should try Method shaving. Check the links.

I opted for rather **** but comfortable shaves for the first few weeks and advocate spending a lot of time rubbing around the face area to get a more informed idea of the grain, when others aren't looking.

Mantic's youtube videos are very handy for tips. Are you shaving in multiple passes?

Welcome. I might recommend one of the preshave products available. Proraso makes an inexpensive one. And follow the advise of multiple passes.

I think that most of the irritation comes from the first pass, as the other two are usually smooth. But i don't try to get it all on the first.

The best advice I can provide is to forget the three pass shave for now. Focus on prep, and stick to one pass, WITH THE GRAIN!! For someone who is just getting involved with DE shaving, multiple passes can be very harsh. Get your technique down to a science with single WTG shaves for a while. Then, in due time, follow up with an XTG. After doing that for a bit and getting irritation free shaves, give a triple pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) shave a go.

I noticed that you had mentioned your hair grows in horrible angles. When I used my cartridge razor, I didn't pay nearly enough attention to the direction the whiskers grew, but with a DE, it is a must! I recommend (if you are not doing so already) to simply take your time to analyze how your hair grows in. I liked that idea of drawing a diagram. Understanding your face as well as the hairs themselves are very important.

Also, make sure you aren't using too much pressure. DE shaving does not ask of you to mash your face with the razor like the disposable pieces of plastic. In my case, I tend to let the weight of the razor itself do most of the work.

The lather situation may be tough, my face is always wet before i get the later on there and I don't have a problem. Moisture is what you need to glide across, but you may just have too much. Try to not add so much water to your lather all at once, and add a couple drops only if it's too dry. Continue doing so until in 'peaks' in your bowl/mug as well as on the brush. You should be able to tell what it should look like when you get it right.

I also suggest using a pre-shave to soften up the hairs. Experiment with that and try to get those buggers soft enough that they don't fight back.

Lastly, make sure that you are replacing your blade often enough. Especially so, as a beginner because you may be dulling your blades out fast. If they pull or nick you, toss it.

I hope that I might have helped in some way. Keep us updated!

Perhaps a visit to a Dermatologist is in order to talk about allergies?

I'm pretty new here but I know that I'm allergic to some of the most common shaving scents, Lavender for instance would make me break out like crazy. If I didn't know better, than I would probably think that my shave was wonky instead of my product being wonky. Oh, and I second the notion that you ONE PASS is enough for about a week or two.

Good Luck!

I would have to say that you might want to knock off the three pass shave on your neck, at least for a while (basically the same advice that Rollsshaver had above).

Pressure and the equipment could be playing a role as well - that is, you might be pressing too hard (it takes almost no pressure) and/or the razor or the blades might not suit your face. Use a light hand, almost no pressure. If you haven't gotten sampler pack of blades, you might try that. You would be surprised how much difference a blade makes and what works great for some can be horrendous for others.

The best advice I can provide is to forget the three pass shave for now. Focus on prep, and stick to one pass, WITH THE GRAIN!! For someone who is just getting involved with DE shaving, multiple passes can be very harsh. Get your technique down to a science with single WTG shaves for a while. Then, in due time, follow up with an XTG. After doing that for a bit and getting irritation free shaves, give a triple pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) shave a go.

+1 Give your face some time to heal.

First, welcome aboard!!. BTW, what DE razor and cream or soap are you using? You might consider getting a Merkur 39c slant on a barberpole. It's made for sensitive necks and weird-angled hair growth. I find it very safe to use (never a cut, nick, or irritation). Since the razor head is angled, the whiskers are sliced rather than chopped and gets obliquely growing whiskers with just an XTG pass. Less passes=less irritation. The long, weighted handle prevents the unconscious or conscious need to apply pressure; it provides the pressure for you. Second, a well, hydrated lather with 'cool whip' consistency makes all the difference in a close, comfortably, non-irritating shave. NEVER shave over unlathered areas. You can pick up a 39c slant at Lee's Razors with no S&H for B&B members. Cost is $41 out the door. His number is 1-800-503-5001. He's very knowledgeable, helpful, and assures satisfaction. He is recommended by many here on B&B. PS: read the reviews on the 39c slant under 'reviews' here. Keep us posted. We're all eager to help.

my first and second questions are, and have already been asked, but:
1) what razor blade are you using?
2) what DE razor are you using?

for the irritation, these two factors, particularly blade, seem to be the biggest influence. creams, soaps, AS, Pre-shave...all can factor, but tend to be more along the lines of allergic reactions, which at the moment your issue doesn't sound like it is. Also, I ask what DE you use mostly out of curiosity - hey, we're wetshaving geeks here, ya know! :biggrin1: but there can be differences in performance with different razor/blade combos

so, let us know the blade, if it's Merkur, sell 'em to someone who loves 'em :biggrin1: there's a couple of folks here who do, many don't like them. try a west coast sampler if you haven't already, particularly Crystals, Derbys, Red Pack Personnas, and Feathers. and also be very particular about no pressure!
Pressure + poor blade = :eek::eek::eek:

The best advice I can provide is to forget the three pass shave for now.

+1 to this. Do not start with a three pass shave, build up to it gradually. Also remember this: every additional pass increases the possibility for irritation. Personally I went from a three pass shave back to a two pass shave and I'm very happy with my routine. DFS every day without irritation. It took me about two months to get there.

I am using some DE blades I got at Walgreens :/ but I have tried shaving with my Mach 3 and the lather still slips off, etc. so I know there is another problem.

sometimes what happens on pass 1 is that the hair with will so slick (I guess, not really sure what it is) that the razor will glide right over it without cutting it. What's up with this? Then I have to go over more times which I know causes irritation (I don't though, I leave it for the next pass).

Just had to throw in my 2 cents about the cream issue you are having.

Other's have asked and I will as well, what type of cream/soap are you having trouble with?

The easiset way I know to keep lather on your face is to make lather on your face instead of a mug/bowl. This takes a little practice, but it's easier then you think and will give you good perspective.

If your not comfortable with doing that with a cream, perhaps try a shaving stick like Valobra or Arko? Those make fantastic lather and all the magic happens on your face.

I am using Taylor of Old Bond Street Lavender. I actually do make the lather on my face as I don't have a shaving mug.

So I just got some shave oil from classic shaving and I swear it made my shaving WORSE. The razor sort of skips on my skin. I also have a sort of Swirlish grain on my adam's apple. How the hell do I shave that?

Top Bottom