What's new

Regular Coke vs Coke Zero

Coke Zero was introduced about a year ago where I live. Over this period I've found that I have started to like it better than regular Coke. Coke Zero has really become my favourite Coke. Every once in a while I still drink regular Coke but the taste has become to sweet for my taste. I'd like to read some of your opinions on this subject.

Actually, the stuff scares me because it never freezes.

(The other images on that site are amusing as well. I made the image a link to give credit where credit's due)

I am not a big soda drinker, but while living in mexico i drank ALOT of coke. started with the regular then i moved to diet as the enchiladas and tacos started to take a toll. then eventually to coke ZERO. i hate the way diet tastes, but i like the zero. whether it's better than the real thing?? can't say, but zero is as good if not a close second.

I've tried Zero, and while the taste is pretty close to Classic, it has a much lighter "feel" on the tongue. Dang it, if I wanna drink a cola I wanna feel that caramel-y heaviness in my mouth. :mad3:

--Mark

I've tried Zero, and while the taste is pretty close to Classic, it has a much lighter "feel" on the tongue. Dang it, if I wanna drink a cola I wanna feel that caramel-y heaviness in my mouth. :mad3:

--Mark

same here. zero has a more watery taste

right now it's neither for me. I scored some kosher for passover coke and am enjoying it's lack of corn syrup.

Funny you should ask. In the interests of attempting to slim down, I rarely drink soda, but do love Coke. I don't normally drink diet sodas because it will get me in that soda drinking habit.

That being said, I really love a vanilla coke. In New Haven I used to get them made "fresh" at the Yankee Doodle, but I'm not in New Haven anymore and the Doodle is gone, too.

But a couple days ago a co-worker showed me a can of Vanilla Zero she had and said she would put it in the fridge for me, because she didn't want it. I just drank it and it was pretty damn good. Very sweet but I don't mind sweetness being carried by the vanilla flavor.

So now I have to resist the temptation to have it again.

I rarely drink soda, but I do enjoy a glass bottled Mexican Coke when I'm at a Mexican restaurant or supermarket. They're actually made with sugar, not corn syrup, so IMHO, it tastes better and is more satisfying.

I drink Coke Zero because it has the most caffeine of all the Cokes (excluding Jolt et al.)

It's 3:20 in the morning and I feel a little sleepy.:yawn:
I am going to the fridge now to get my last Coke Zero.
What do you think I should add to it?
I have Dimple, Chivas, Gordons and Ursus.

Cheers anyway

Panos

Coke Zero (and diet) contains Aspartame which is used as an artificial sweetener. There seems to be some disagreement over whether this drug is actually safe or not. If you search for it online you find lots of web sites blaming it for everything and I imagine a lot of them are probably over-reacting but it is interesting that the FDA wouldn't approve it for years.

There is a long story all about how it got approval all through the political maschinations of a certain Donald Rumsfeld who was then CEO of the company who patented the drug.

Of course if Donald Rumsfeld says it's OK then it must be since he'd never lie right?

Even ignoring the questions on whether it is safe or not (I figure there are plenty of other questionable things we eat that getting hung up on one thing as being the cause of all problems is a bit silly) the story of how it all got approval is fascinating and it would be interesting to know how much of it is actually true.

Me, I like the odd fizzy drink now and then. Sometimes I like a Coke and sometimes a Coke Zero. I figure the odd one now and then doesn't hurt. Can't stand the taste of the diet stuff though!

Simon

--Mark

I'm with Mark on this one. If I am craving a coke, I'll go for the Genuine Article. However, my wife is a type I diabetic, so that means that a lot of our stuff in our home has to be sugarfree. So I drink Diet Dr. Pepper, tea, or water most of the time.

I'm with Mark on this one. If I am craving a coke, I'll go for the Genuine Article. However, my wife is a type I diabetic, so that means that a lot of our stuff in our home has to be sugarfree. So I drink Diet Dr. Pepper, tea, or water most of the time.

Hello. If you haven't already done it, you might try using liquid Stevia to make tea and sweeten other things. It works pretty well, contains no calories, and is available at health food stores and some grocery chains. I've heard that it's used quite a bit in Japan, but because of the sugar lobby here in the US it is relegated to a health-food-nut fringe status.

Also, I thought it was interesting that some on this thread preferred sugar coke to corn syrup coke. I've been reading lately that the heavy intake of high fructose corn syrup by Americans is one of the primary causes of the large increase in Type II diabetes. Lots of information on the internet about this.

Top Bottom