What's new

A Way to Display Your Straights....

It looks really great. Is there a problem with knocking some loose when going for the ones in the middle?

That's really cool. Isn't it hard to reach razors that hang in the back though?

Hope the razors don't get magnetized. :confused: That could create a problem.:eek:
Actually, there must have been a fad of some sort some time ago because there are a number of razors that say "Magnetized", or even "Electro-magnetic" on the blade.

Thanx Guys!!!!
For about a year and a half I have had a 1/4 round K&J (Nib rare earth) magnet hangin under my medicine cabinet...
I live in a NYC 2 bedroom apartment, but needless to say my bathroom leaves very little space to improve things... It will change in the next week or so as I plan to get a new cabinet, new lighting and new shelves and accessories..

Anyway the NIB that I had stuck under my cabinet allowed me to "hand off my straight" and have it right in front with no problems,,, this led me to think about this....

So...

*Note on Magnetism*--
-- I initially glued the magnets to a layed out pattern on the wood.... That diminished the strenght of the magnets , I'd say by 2/3rds..
When these magnets are attach to a solid piece of steel (like my medicine cabinet), they require 4lbs of pull to remove from one magnet the straights DIRECTLY away from it... I usually slide them off its end,,,, its the way recommended..
So I thought that It did not have the strenght to hold it firmly(eventhough it is ample force to keep them secure, I just like to be able to pull and feel that Im accomplishing something)

The setup you have before you is stainless steel chromed thumbtacks from Staples at 200pcs for 1.29 attached to 2x 1/8 round NIBs.. The pull to remove these (at exactly opposite of the N/S base) is about 8lbs, to slide them off is about 2lbs.... These are huge numbers when even my heaviest, a Filarmonica #13 only weighs in the realm of 9 ounces......

I think that this set up will do me well for the moment, but I really want a stainless mirrored plate attached to the top of the shelf where only one of these magnets will be able to hold almost 10 lbs each.......I really don't understand how these are more powerfull attached to something than without...
The 1/4 x 3/8 bars are much more powerfull.... But why do you need it?? Its only a straight hangin....I used these to hold the Wapi and the Sanguine stainless up against the wall....

The funny thing is that there are certain straights that have a flattened end on the tang, and these stay in the position you put them in... Now,,, the better made ones I have like Henkels, Wade and Butcher, Puma, Frits Brach, and the Sanguine xd20s where the tang end is polished to have no flatend....... Well these hang where you put them,,, until 15 minutues later the bulk of the blade will find and point to magnetic North..... Its like seeing sincronized swimmers in the slowest show ever...

*****-Also I must give a disclamer to warn anyone that wants to play with these types of magnets-****

-- They collide at a speed that on impact take a chunk of one or both magnets coming into contact.--

- In the straight razor world?....

..... One sought and collided with the edge of a wapi.. (Thanx to powers that be that it wasn't one of my others) and snapped a nice sized 3/8 semicircular pie shape out of it........a gone Wapi, It was also free from st@#ps when I bought 2 others......Of all 3 I got only one that wasn't warped at the tang or worse,, the one that I made my scales to,,, had a warped spine, it was only after I assembled and then tried to hone it, did I get to see the problem.....Wapi's are cheap....and thats all I can say... But I've picked ugly things from ebay for less than 10 bux that are worthy for an enthusiast to restore and shave with... I love anything over 100 years...:biggrin:

Well I Thank everyone that helps me dream and aspire to new ways of doing things...
Thank you gentlemen!!! This was truelly for you all..............

While I'm sure the magnet does a great job and I'm very scientifically inclined, there's just something precarious about the prospect of leaving all of my straight razors dangling at the mercy of gravity :yikes: Great looking display nonetheless!

-M

Funny little thing... These have been up for awhile now and they are very secure, even with my rugrats running and shaking the foundations of the apt, I have also held my heaviest Fili completely horizontal and have released it with no reprocussions..=Very Secure...
So I have a Carbo-magnetic that could pickup small items like needles and nails,,, but not anymore..
Seems hanging it this way has demagnitized it.
I also checked my others and none have become magnetized. I think it takes quite a bit of electrical charge to be able to magnetize a straight, just don't understand how I was able to demagnetize one....

Too cool...now I want to go out and get a bunch of straights (yeah, I've got a bad case of RAD:drool:)

Where did you get the magnets?

Top Bottom