What's new

Different #58 cases?

Does anyone have an idea why Gillette produced two cases for the #58? It looks like they are meant to house two different blade packs. One has the retainer to hold the TTO knob and the other doesn't. You may notice a color difference between the two fabrics as well as the printing in slightly different spots. Can anyone tell me what years these cases and the razors were produced?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mine is like the one on the left. I don't know if the strap on the other was not there or has been torn off.
Perhaps they changed from the blade box to the plastic dispenser and modified the cases?

Mine's like the one on the left too. I've seen others like the one one the right; I just assumed the little loop had come off. Never noticed the little blade shelf was different. You've got a great eye for detail.

..... I just assumed the little loop had come off. Never noticed the little blade shelf was different.

I thought that when I placed a bid and that could be why it went so cheap. There is no evidence this case ever had the ring/loop though.

You've got a great eye for detail.

That's a nice way of saying I have no life and too much time on my hands. :biggrin:

Mine is like the one on the left. I don't know if the strap on the other was not there or has been torn off.
Perhaps they changed from the blade box to the plastic dispenser and modified the cases?

It would be nice if we had some record of English Gillette production. I think we share the same hunch about the blade packs.

That's a nice way of saying I have no life and too much time on my hands. :biggrin:

:biggrin: Well, I really did mean it as a compliment, but we all could probably be just as guilty of wasting time here....

+1 on the English Gillette info...it would be nice to have a little more info on certain things.

Mine too is like the one on the left. I wonder if perhaps the aluminum handled #58 might have come in the case on the right. Dunno.

Top Bottom