What's new

Gillette Slide!

I tried the Gillette Slide for the first time today...wow what an incredible and smooth shave. The razor moved so smoothly and left hardly anything behind for a second pass. This is how I'm going to keep shaving.

For those that aren't familiar with the Slide, I think Mantic mentions it in his advanced techniques video here:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU[/YOUTUBE]

on the ole' j hook.. i dont understand why it would work better than a wtg then xtg (or is it just meant to skip having to do two passes)?

while we're on the topic of fancy technique, i gave blade buffing a whirl the other day under my nose, and oh boy! i didnt need to shave that area the next day!

I too am a big fan of the Gillette Slide and have been experimenting with it during different passes. The first pass feels great, just like in Mantics video. Gets a bit trickier under the jawline. There, I tend to stick with the razor head (HD this week) being parallel to the floor, shaving WTG on the 1st pass. That side-slicing cut feels really good, but go easy. I do a kinda XTG slide next, followed by a 3rd nose to ear (W-E) and round off with a very slow ATG, again doing this slide action. Took a few days to get it just right, but each time it's getting better and I've found it to be an effortless way to shave made a lot easier by doing a good, long prep as described by Kyle with the hot towel.

V

VR6ofpain

I always do a bit of a blade buff action on my second pass (XTG). I only do 2 pass shaves now. Close enough.

The Gillette Slide is a great technique to try if you want to experiment with vintage DE and SE blades. I've used it successfully with vintage Pal blades, Gillette Blues and Thins, and several other old brands. Gillette recommended this technique on its old instruction pamphlets.

I use the slide on my neck on the second pass in mix of XTG and ATG. Works wonders and finally solved the problem of getting the neck BBS.

Gillette used to include shaving instructions with their razors. These described what Mantic calls the "Gillette Slide" as simply the right way to shave. Gillette did not give it a catchy name. (They just called it "shaving". :001_smile)

Nor did Gillette invent the technique. If you look at barber's manuals/texts from a hundred years ago that technique is also described simply as the way to do it and not as some advanced technique.

Gillette used to include shaving instructions with their razors. These described what Mantic calls the "Gillette Slide" as simply the right way to shave. Gillette did not give it a catchy name. (They just called it "shaving". :001_smile)

Nor did Gillette invent the technique. If you look at barber's manuals/texts from a hundred years ago that technique is also described simply as the way to do it and not as some advanced technique.

Well said sir. I have no idea why Mantic calls this advanced either. It is so simple to do.
I'm glad this thread popped up again. I think more guys needed to see it.

Well said sir. I have no idea why Mantic calls this advanced either. It is so simple to do.
I'm glad this thread popped up again. I think more guys needed to see it.

I think it's "advanced" simply because it makes it much easier to cut yourself if you get moving sideways more than you are moving down.

Trust me, I learned that one the hard way! :blushing:

Strat, slide, hard...something is really wrong with this statement.

I'll take Coracedin bottles for 200.00....:biggrin:

:lol: You know Warren won't use a coricidin bottle because he is afraid that he will sweat off his calluses because of the closed end. (I also heard he keeps his left hand in a plastic bag when he showers, to avoid getting his calluses wet).

That must be one nasty-*** hand!

:lol: You know Warren won't use a coricidin bottle because he is afraid that he will sweat off his calluses because of the closed end. (I also heard he keeps his left hand in a plastic bag when he showers, to avoid getting his calluses wet).

That must be one nasty-*** hand!

No but Dicky and Duane used them. Warren could not fit his fat fingers in the bottle.....:biggrin:

BTW good catch on the Brothers....:wink:

Top Bottom