What's new

Favorite Shaving Soaps

How do you guys rate the various shaving soaps? Seems very personal from comparisons I've seen in various places on the board.

For me:

Top Tier: MWF, Trumpers Rose, QED Lime

Next Tier (but close behind): Trumpers Lime [candy like smell turns me off on some days], C&E Almond [surprised me just how good this was, particularly at $5]

Third Tier: TOBS [doesn't seem nearly as good for me as their creams], Classic Shaving

Fourth Tier: Revivage (I think it might have shea butter, and if it does that explains why I don't like it because I seem to react to shea butter).

I haven't tried Tabac yet but plan to due to all the raves. And I haven't tried Penhaligon's or DR Harris or T&H.

I do not want to get into tiering all my soaps, but let me just say that my current top three shaving soaps are Mitchell's Wool Fat in first and Provence Sante and Geo. F. Trumper Coconut Oil tied for second.

Tim

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
How do you guys rate the various shaving soaps? Seems very personal from comparisons I've seen in various places on the board.

For me:

Top Tier: MWF, Trumpers Rose, QED Lime

Next Tier (but close behind): Trumpers Lime [candy like smell turns me off on some days], C&E Almond [surprised me just how good this was, particularly at $5]

Third Tier: TOBS [doesn't seem nearly as good for me as their creams], Classic Shaving

Fourth Tier: Revivage (I think it might have shea butter, and if it does that explains why I don't like it because I seem to react to shea butter).

I haven't tried Tabac yet but plan to due to all the raves. And I haven't tried Penhaligon's or DR Harris or T&H.

I think after you try the QUALITY ones you mention you havent tried...you'll have a whole NEW Tier...the Stratosphere Tier!

I've been working my way through the expensive soaps, and so far haven't found one that I like any better than Honeybee Spa soaps. :thumbup: Definitely top tier, and at an affordable price.

Norm

While my favorites tend to change every few months, I find DR Harris Arlington to be the top performer and Penhaligon's English Fern to be one of the leaders in the Unique and Pleasing Scents department.

I've been working my way through the expensive soaps, and so far haven't found one that I like any better than Honeybee Spa soaps. :thumbup: Definitely top tier, and at an affordable price.

Norm

I won't place soaps into a tier order, either, but I agree with Norman here. There are a number of great soaps. I have many including some that are quite pricey, but I consider the HoneyBee soaps to be among the best of them. The HBS soaps lather richly, lubricate exceptionally well, and provide the best skin care of the lot. It makes me wonder why I'd ever spend $15+ for a soap.

-- John Gehman

While my favorites tend to change every few months, I find DR Harris Arlington to be the top performer <snip>.

I'm amazed by my new DR Harris Arlington. Wow. Just wow. That lather is dense, think, luxurious (insert ridiculously complementary terms here). I know it's a throwaway line, but I did get the best shave of my adult life yesterday using it.

I won't place soaps into a tier order, either, but I agree with Norman here. There are a number of great soaps. I have many including some that are quite pricey, but I consider the HoneyBee soaps to be among the best of them. The HBS soaps lather richly, lubricate exceptionally well, and provide the best skin care of the lot. It makes me wonder why I'd ever spend $15+ for a soap.

-- John Gehman

My rave about Harris aside, I'm also a huge fan of HBS. And at 25% of the price...it's stunning stuff that is worth much more. And, I should note that my nose isn't all that powerful, so scents sometimes are lost on me. :sad: Not with HBS. Her scents are just wonderful.

Best shaving soaps IMO (no particular order):

-Penhaligon's
-Trumper
-D.R. Harris
-Truefitt&Hill
-Mitchell's Wool Fat
-Tabac
-Lothantique Père et Fils
-l'Occitane Cade

Of the very few I've used, which have all been glycerine based, I find that shea butter enriched soaps work the best for me in terms of cushion and lubrication. This narrows it down to the pink Van der Hagen and Honeybee Spa Rosemary Mint soaps. Once you throw scent into the mix, there's no contest.

Honeybee Spa!

I have the L'Occitane Cade, and I love it. I have the C&E Sweet Almond Oil, and I love it. I have Saint Charles Shave New Spice, and I love it. Then I have several Honeybee soaps (Lime, Forest Pine, Vetyver, Oakmoss, Lavender, Violet), and I look forward to using these. I love them all. But you know what? They all give me a great shave, but Honeybee wins out for me, because for less than $4 a puck, you can't beat it. And she has tons of different scents. I love her pick three deals. I'm trying to decide what next three to get. If you want a soap, get the Honeybee soaps. If you don't like it, PM me, and I may be able to take it off of your hands!

• Gourmand: SCS Mocha Creme (+ Cafe Noir EDP)
  • Lather: TGQ Leatherneck and Desert Ironwood (+ Old Spice EDC)
  • Desert Island: QED Vetiver (+ Route du Vetiver EDT)

Top Three:
1.Trumpers Rose
2.Harris Arlington
3.Trumpers Violet

Would really like to get ahold of some Penhaligons English Fern but it's so
darn hard to find!

Top Bottom