What's new

What to look for when buying Gillette FB and red tip SS

First of all I would like to say hi to everyone I haven't met yet. This is a great site with such a wonderful community feel.

I found a 3 gallon tin filled with, mostly, Gillette razors at a junk store today. I did easily recognize a few among the many and grabbed this very clean long black handled adjustable for $5.00.
proxy.php

Well the whole tin is priced at 5.00 a piece so I'm going back tomorrow to get a Fatboy and a Redtip SS.

My question is is there anything I should be on the lookout for besides the basics? Doors open smoothly, clicker turns well, plating, etc. Anything internal to be aware of?

Thanks.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
One thing you should particularly look out for is to not have a crazy look in your eye or shout out, MINE, ALL MINE when going through the 3 gallon tin. And... let's see more pics.

V

VR6ofpain

Seriously though, do you have a camera? Take photos of all the razors, we can report to you which ones to pick up.

Could you estimate how many razors were in this tin? Are we talking 15-20...or like 50+ razors?

I guess I should do a lot more research before I go back in drooling.

I'd guess there are around 60-75 razors in the tin and of the 35 or so razors I recognized, I'm very new to this, most were in fair to poor condition. I looked the fatboys over well and a few looked nice along with a couple slim adjustables and a few red tips. There were a whole bunch of the black handled SS's. I'll go back next week and pick up the good quality ones after I've had time to learn more and so I don't look so eager.

My camera is in and out after I dropped it in a stream last year, currently it is working so I'll get a shot of the whole mess when I go back.

A 3 gallon tin of Gillettes in a junk store ....... proves the old adage that one man's trash is another man's treasure :wink: If you should run into a red tip SS with made in England stamped on it I will pay good $$$ for it .

Buy the TIn:thumbup:

Well you talked me into it. I far underestimated how many were in that tin.

proxy.php

35 pounds of razors!

Yes I know my carpet is filthy, but hey I'm single.

Black handled SS's

proxy.php

21 Fatboy's

proxy.php

Red and blue tip SS's

proxy.php

Misc. SS's and two plastic knobbed TTO's

proxy.php

Tech's??

proxy.php

46 Slim handle adjustables, 4 black handle adjustables and 4 black handle Schick's

proxy.php

Oddballs?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Does anyone see anything of extreme value buried in there? Sorry no toggles or 195's.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I don't see anything of extreme value. :eek: Man, you hit the jackpot. However, the razor to the left of the one with the white handle appears to be worthless and I will give you $10.00 for it. :wink: Outstanding find. Now get to work cleaning them up and take another picture when they are presentable. :biggrin:

Some nice ball handled techs and schick injectors in the second to last pic. And Brit gillettes in the last. Very nice. I've been wanting to pick up an injector on the cheap and try it out - why can't they sell 3 gallon tins of razors on every street corner?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Damn! Talk about the mother load.

That's a whole lotta superspeeds there, my friend.:thumbup1:

Now get to work cleaning them up and take another picture when they are presentable. :biggrin:

The fat boy's cleaned up very nicely. 17 out of the 21 look good. Surprisingly they all opened up easily.

proxy.php

However, the razor to the left of the one with the white handle appears to be worthless and I will give you $10.00 for it. :wink:

Dang there's only one of that kind and it has some heft like my Merkur HD, which I'll probably no longer need by the way. I was thinking about keeping that one. If you see any of the multiples you want just let me know.

Top Bottom