What's new

A request concerning blades

This thread is a humble request for help from the fine members of this shaving forum.

Recently I have been working on a razor blade brands page in the ShaveWiki. It has become increasingly clear that the blade world is rather chaotic and this Wiki page is an attempt to bring some order in this chaos.

However my experience with blades and access to blades is limited. I would therefore ask for your help!

The idea is to have the following setup for the entries:
[Brand name] Gillette, Bic, etc
[Blade name] Bleue Extra, Platinum, etc
Manufacturer: Procter & Gamble/Gillette, Bic, etc
Country of Manufacture: France, Greece, USA, etc
Type: double edge, singe edge, etc
Website: for example feather: http://www.feather.co.jp/eindex.html
Other information: for example information written on the package when there are different versions of the blade:
There appear to be at least 2 versions of this blade. One version, most commonly referred to as "Swedes" has the following information written on the pack:
Distributed by/ Distribué par Gillette
EMB 92693
Levallois-Perret Cedex,
Espoo-Esbo, Kobenhavn,
London, TW7 5NP, Oslo,
Stockholm
A different version of the Gillette Platinum has the following information written on the pack:
**** UK/Surrey *** (more information needed on this blade)

Photos: see Wiki page for examples (pictures are uploaded on Wiki itself).
B&B Review Link to B&B review if there is one

Please look through the Wiki page and if you find any information missing or incorrect, feel free to change it accordingly. Another option is to provide the information in this thread, after which I will work on getting it incorporated or changed whenever I have the time.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Not only for this page but for the ShaveWiki as a whole. It is a great way to collect the enormous amount of information on wet shaving that floats around on the forum and in peoples heads and gather it in a single place for easy reference. An extended ShaveWiki is a great asset to new and experienced shavers alike!

Wow!!! Looks like alot of work has gone into it. Thanks Flaxorca for all the work. :thumbup:

I will try to put some photos of missing blades later tonight.

Bowl me over 'n knock me down!!! Excellent & most worthy & useful endeavor
Flax-ster.

I book marked the Wiki page for more thorough reading & review.
If I can contribute any "updates" I certainly will.

Again, good show 'n a super great idea for a Wike page !!!

Good idea, I will try to take some shots of the UK/Surrey Platinums as soon as I have the chance.

Wow!!! Looks like alot of work has gone into it. Thanks Flaxorca for all the work. :thumbup:

I will try to put some photos of missing blades later tonight.

Bowl me over 'n knock me down!!! Excellent & most worthy & useful endeavor
Flax-ster.

I book marked the Wiki page for more thorough reading & review.
If I can contribute any "updates" I certainly will.

Again, good show 'n a super great idea for a Wike page !!!

Thanks a lot gents! Feel free to update or improve anything you can. That is after all the basic idea behind Wiki!

Thanks for taking the initiative on this. This will be a great resource for newbies and more experienced wet shavers looking to change things up.

Are these UK platinums the same as the swedish ones? Or is one better than the other?

My understanding is that UK Platinums are part of the so-called Euro Gillettes, which sometimes have been said to be inferior to the Swede. Me, not liking Swede too much, felt not the urge to try the UK version.

However I am a clueless newbie so please disregard my useless opinion.

Are these UK platinums the same as the swedish ones? Or is one better than the other?

See Furex' reply. He was the one that told me there were Platinums from the UK as well.

Thanks for taking the initiative on this. This will be a great resource for newbies and more experienced wet shavers looking to change things up.

That is the idea with the ShaveWiki :wink:. Feel free to contribute!

My understanding is that UK Platinums are part of the so-called Euro Gillettes, which sometimes have been said to be inferior to the Swede. Me, not liking Swede too much, felt not the urge to try the UK version.

However I am a clueless newbie so please disregard my useless opinion.

I am not sure I can place your last remark... Regardless of your experience your input is appreciated and has been very valuable so far!

Is there no more information to be had on razor blades?

How about single edge blades? I don't use these myself but would appreciate any and all information that can be provided by others.

Hello Robert,

as promised, these are the shots of the Euro Gillette Platinums. The blades pictured have a standard cardboard package, but I would have sworn there's another packaging which has the same plastic magazine as the Swede. Both seem to originate from Surrey.

PS: the EAN country code traces this blades as "made in France"

Attachments

• $eurogillette_cb_front.jpg
    $eurogillette_cb_front.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 310
  • $eurogillette_cb_rear.jpg
    $eurogillette_cb_rear.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 306
Robert,
Here is a picture of the Super Silver cardboard package back.. I did a head to head comparison between them and the Swedes some time ago.
full

As you can see they are distributed by a Germany-based operation. Oddly enough though, they appear to have adequate Greek information to be potentially marketed in Greece..
The Swedes, on the other hand, are distributed by a French presence and appear to be targeted at Scandinavia, et al.
full

BTW, you have been doing a splendid job on the razor blades Wiki-collection.:thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ron! I added the Super Silver pic to the Wikipage, hope that's ok...

The only thing that is very clear to me after working on that page, is that this blade business is a big mess :biggrin:.

I am also convinced it is far from complete, since there probably are a lot of blades from for example Asia that are missing. But hopefully people will post about other brands/blades so that the page can be updated.

Man you have taken on a task that to me is nigh impossible to accomplish, but worthy none the less. If you've looked on ebay there are razor blades out the Whazuh for sale from all over the world. Granted they are mostly collector items, they are still there. To document and categorize all the worlds razor blades is an awsome tasking, but to get a recent list contact Giovanni at razorandbrush.com or LetterK at westcoastshaving.com. If anyone knows anything about razor blades, they should be the ones to contact. They may even supply you with pictures and historical data.

It's worth a shot...

Good Luck...

And as always:biggrin: ...

Enjoy your shave...

Man you have taken on a task that to me is nigh impossible to accomplish, but worthy none the less. If you've looked on ebay there are razor blades out the Whazuh for sale from all over the world. Granted they are mostly collector items, they are still there. To document and categorize all the worlds razor blades is an awsome tasking, but to get a recent list contact Giovanni at razorandbrush.com or LetterK at westcoastshaving.com. If anyone knows anything about razor blades, they should be the ones to contact. They may even supply you with pictures and historical data.

It's worth a shot...

Good Luck...

And as always:biggrin: ...

Enjoy your shave...

I wasn't planning on listing collector's blades... just brands that are still produced/used. I think I have pretty much covered all the brands/blades that are in the different sampler packs. And with a little bit of help from the community, pictures will follow eventually I am sure. Besides which I will probably end up going through the sampler packs myself, so I can make pictures as I go. But you are right there are still a lot of (obscure) blades out there to find. I consider the brands/blades listed on the page now as the ones that are most readily available and most used, so I will not put any real effort in looking for other ones. However I will keep an eye open and when something pops up I will try to add it. :wink:

Well Robert I am glad to see you have taken on the challenge of doing every razor blade since 1904 in the Shavewiki!:laugh:
I thought you might find this post helpful in the Whacky Wiki for a comparison review of the Super Blue and the Platinum (Swede)..

Top Bottom