What's new

2 TGN knots, which one should get the low loft?

My 2 TGN knots just arrived today and I am going to set them in some old handles I cleaned out. My plan was to set one deep for a lower loft soap eater, and leave the other one lofty.

I got the 22mm Super Silvertip and 22mm Super Badger Bulb... I've only ever used one brush and it was middle of the road all the way. So I will put this out to all you brush heads who know more about this than I.

I bowl lather, pretty much only soaps so far.

I'd set the supersilvertip deeper. The other super isn't as soft and might seem a bit prickly/overscrubby if you go too low with it. The supersilvertip is pretty close to Kent knots... mine's pretty similar to how I remember my 08LE (similar bloom, density, loft, softness).

Sounds good to me. Both of them are going to be softer than the brush I have now, but I'd rather not do it one way and find out I should have done it the other.

I'd set the supersilvertip deeper. The other super isn't as soft and might seem a bit prickly/overscrubby if you go too low with it. The supersilvertip is pretty close to Kent knots... mine's pretty similar to how I remember my 08LE (similar bloom, density, loft, softness).

I agree with this, but I think I would do it the other way.

You bought two different hair grades for a reason. You wanted the silvertip to be soft and luxurious and the super for more scrub. Why not use them as such?

Id leave the silvertip a little floppy and luxurious for bowl lathering and make that super a soap monster for face lathering.

Either way works, just playing devils advocate

Well here are the handles and knots in case it helps.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Super Silver is ever so slightly softer, the Bulb is denser for sure, tips might not be quite as soft. (but neither one is broken in)

I used marine epoxy because it was the only one at my local store that didn't set in 5 minutes. I err'd on the side of too little glue, worst case scenario there the knot comes out and I glue it again, too much and it oozes out everywhere and buggers it all up.

I wound up setting the Super Silvertip in the little red rubberset handle, at around 47mm loft. I dry fit both knots, at shorter and longer loft, and this one felt the best. The bulb at low loft was too dense and stiff, was much nicer and softer at a bit longer loft. I need to do some more drilling and stuff on that big handle so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Here is my very first brush restore, can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning and see it bloom!

proxy.php

Can follow the restores here. (before and afters and whatnot)

I just used it this morning... WOW. This is one soft lather monster! I did 4 passes and then some buffing and still squeezed out a ton when I was rinsing it out. I don't think I can ever go back to my Omega 63171 Pure Badger. Apparently that one has scratchy tips. lol

Can't wait to get the bulb finished and see how that smooshes lather on my face. :)

Oh, and if anyone has been thinking about replacing a knot but are afraid? Just go for it. This was my first and it was a ton of fun! And I have to thank everyone here because I didn't know anything about anything here and got the info to do it.

Bulb is coming up later tonight, along with pics of the bloom on the rubberset once it's dry.

Here is the unknown handle (does anyone know what it is?) with the 22mm super badger bulb in it, set at 55mm loft. Can't wait to see this bloom tomorrow! It's as big as the Super Silvertip post-bloom already. haha

proxy.php

Top Bottom