What's new

Head Shaving with a DE?

Hello all,

I've been a lurker on these forums for quite some time and have finally decided to come out of the closet. I am coming out of the closet to make my first post and disclose my first confession: I use cartridge razors. :blushing:

I know, I'm going to need to go see a priest about this to be fully pardoned, but there is a reason I still use cartridges. Unfortunately, my reason may not be sufficient for their continued use!

I have been a semi-wet shaver for about 5 years or so. I use the term "semi-wet shaver" because I participate in the whole wet shave rigmarole & ceremony as far as lathering up with my high end english shaving creams using a nice badger brush and go through the whole ritual with the exception of making the dive into shaving with a DE. But, I want to. I'm really curious to try it.

Here is the set back. I shave my head. I am scared sh$#less to shave my head with a DE. I am looking to some of you guys out there that might be headshavers that use a DE to see if you have any tips for me.

Is it a bad idea? Is it feasible? Should cut off all thoughts of doing this now before I butcher my head?? What would be a good starter razor? I have my eye on the Merkur 38c as I have read it's basically an HD with a longer handle. I've been using mach III and fusion for as long as I can remember and I think the longer handle on the 38c would be a good choice for a beginner like me.

Any thoughts or tips for head shaving with a DE would be appreciated!

All the best,

T

I shave my head during summer only, the rest of the year I use clippers to keep some insulation on top.

I used my DE to shave the noggin whilst in Samoa, with substandard conditions - and got excellent results with no nicks, weepers or gallons of claret spilt. Just take it easy as you would with the rest of you Phisog.

I would think a DE razor is ok for head shaving with some practice (I've only tried cartridges a few times with lots of nicks) but are you familiar with this: http://www.headblade.com? I've never tried their shaver but I've heard good things about it and it looks good ergonomics-wise.

For me personally 0.8mm is close enough, so I just use a Panasonic for Professionals trimmer that cuts everything very nicely in one pass (I also use it to trim my stubble).

I have tried a DE on my head and did not care for it, some deep nicks and many weepers. Also very time consuming.
I now use a Schick Hydro on my head which serves me well. (ok my wife uses it. She shaves my head every night.)

I do shave my face with a straight or a DE depending on my mood.

If you use the search function you'll find several discusins on headshaving with de's. Another good resource is www.slybaldguys.com

I've tried it with de,se and injectors and while I can do it, I find it takes way more time than I want to invest in my noggin. Perfectly happy using a Personna Magnum M5, Trac II with Dollar general blades, Mach 3 and the new Wilkinson Tech 3 from Walmart.

If you get a mild razor its very easy to do. I mainly use my 40's superspeed and sometimes, my travel tech.

I tried using my FUTUR and got a few good cuts just on the first pass. So its all in the razor.

My process:
Start with a hot towel on the head
Mix HeadLube in a bowl with my badger brush.
Apply
ATG from front to the crown
XTG on the sides ATG on side burns
ATG on the back up to the crown.
Repeat
Then hop in the shower and touch up with a disposable

Its all about feel... The hardest part is definatly behind the ears. But just take your time and dont rush.

I find it takes less time then trying to get all the hair out of the disposables.

Last edited:
I've been shaving my head for years with a DE.
Good head shaving DEs are NEWs with long combs and any of the Gillette adjustable razors.
I especially like the long handled Super Adjustable.

Short answer: Face with DE, Head with Headblade+Atra cartridge

Been DE shaving for about 3 years now and head shaving for about the same time. I have shaved my head with my DE a few times, and to me, head shaving feels so much more like a chore than shaving my face. No matter how much I can get into a soap, cream, brush, or just the process of DE shaving my face, the same is not true for my head.

Not sure if it is the fact that I can't see it all, or the shear surface area I have to cover, but it is a task I want to complete the easiest, most comfortable way possible.

The few times I did DE shave my head were not too bad. Some nicks and a little irritation which I am sure would go away with practice.

The problem is more that the headblade is such an effective little shaver for my head. Plus, I use the cheapest of cartridges (Atra) with mine so still somewhat economical and they are the best performers for me.

I actually bought some mach3's the other day to try them on my head, since I hear so many use them to shave their head and I hadn't touched a cartridge in years (other than the atra's I put in the headblade). Still didn't come even close to the headblades performance. I can go ATG only with the headblade, so it is one pass with minor touchups.

YMMV, but the headblade is hard to beat

Start with shaving your face with a DE before jumping into head shaving with one. Like others, I use the Headblade most of the time. On the occasional day, when I have the time, I use my DE (or GEM Jr. SE) on my head. It is all about angles and technique. For my face I use a Slant Sledgehammer (39C) with a Feather; for my head I prefer a Single Ring. I've used the slant on my head with no nicks or cuts, but the Single Ring is a bit easier to operate by feel.

When I first ventured into the world of DE shaving, I would not consider using one on my head. Learning to drive one around my face was enough, however; after mastering the technique it was easy to transition to head shaving with it.

Thanks for the replies gents. I use Gillette Fusion Pro-glide atm on both my face and my head with very few problems. I do get a little irritation on the neck at times and would like a closer more enjoyable shave which is what I would have hoped to accomplish with the DE.

I had heard of the headblade before, but pretty much just dismissed it as a marketing gimmick. I'll have to take a closer look! :001_smile

In the mean time, I think I will go ahead with a DE purchase and start with the face as recommended to get over the learning curve. When I get comfortable and seasoned, maybe I will give the old noggin a shot.

I usually use a Mach3 and a Headblade on my noggin. Started to use a Mid Sixty vintage Blue Star Lady Gillette when I have more time. A mild razor with a long handle for great control.

My 2 cents

I started head shaving after I was already shaving my face with a DE. I was concerned about using a DE on my head so I started with a head blade. Even with a head blade I had to remember to use very little pressure.
I then started to shave the parts of my head that I could see in the mirror with a DE and shaved the back with the head blade. I eventually transitioned to use a DE for my entire head, shaving by feel on the areas “over the horizon”.
I now use a Slant to shave my head and only rarely get a nick. I would think you might want to get used to using a DE on your face before to take it to your head, but it is not that difficult. Use a light touch and go slow and methodical. I would suggest a two pass approach, WTG and XTG to avoid any stripes created from a flat razor on a round surface. I also had my wife standing by to check for missed areas when I was starting out.

Top Bottom