What's new

4711 "smellalikes" and classic Eaux de Cologne

With warmer weather on the horizon and with it the need for light, refreshing scents, does anyone have any thoughts on the relative merits of the various Eaux de Cologne "in the classic style", which is my amateur description for anything out there that smells vaguely like 4711? Stauff mentioned a Weleda version in the Reviews section (with which I'm not familiar - thanks for the hint!); others I can think of are Acqua di Parma and Extra Vieille Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet.

Also, is anyone familiar with the genuine Kölnisch Wasser by Farina Gegenüber? It seems to be available nowhere but in Cologne and from "Manufactum", so I have refrained from splashing out on it. – Any others?

Hi, I just came over here from basenotes, the perfume forum, and happen to be a big Eau de Cologne Fan.

Jean Marie Farina by Roger&Gallet is excellent, especially at the price. It has a strong neroli note, orange blossom. The original Farina is also very fine, it emphasizes the hesperides and herbs, so it is sharper, less sweet and warm. No comparison to 4711, which has a lousy reputation in Germany, and rightly so, imho. It's agressive, synthetic, short, a mass industrial product not meant to conform to high standards. I do notice many US perfumistas like it, but once you've tried the good stuff, you don't want to go back :).
Perhaps the best most finely balanced of all is Cologne Sologne by Patricia de Nicolai. That's available in the US, in fact, I bought mine there via ebay.
Acqua di Parma is a favorite of mine, though it places a good deal more emphasis on the rose and other florals in the middle notes, making it quite distinct from classic formulations. Acqua di Genova is more of a white floral, a bit too feminine for my taste, though of impeccable quality. Purple Water by Asprey is a floral EdC as well, but works better for me.
Finally there's the wonderul pour le jeune homme by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, an EdT, but in the classic cologne style. I would also unconditionally recommend that.
Oh, not to forget the Guerlains:Imperial (classic, in the 4711 style, but well done), du Coq (with some jasmine, but also tangy), Fleurs de Cedrat (very light and fleeting), eau de guerlain (a more complex one with a very interesting carraway note).

I haven't tried Lorenzo Villoresi's, though judging from his other offerings, it should be top notch. Oh, and I really need to check out Weleda, here I am in Germany and did not even realize they made one.

You can read extensive reviews of these on www.basenotes.com to get an indepth idea, as well as a spectrum of opinions. And there are so many more, of course. It never ever ends :D

Hope you enjoy the hunt!

I can't argue with the verdict of a perfume expert and purist on 4711, except on one point: "Synthetic" is not necessarily an indictment of a fragrance, or the reputation of the house of Chanel would never have been made (am I opening a can of worms here)? What is meant, of course, is that it smells "cheap", which I suppose one might argue over (evident lack of complexity vs. changing fashions?).

Whilst I have a considerable affection for 4711, I would not, of course, call it a "fine" scent. Its appeal is more emotive, something like freshly cut grass. Having myself grown up in Germany, I am aware of its poor reputation (not least because, I suppose, familiarity breeds contempt). But I'm still going to keep a bottle around for those times when nothing else will do the trick.

That said, I can't wait to visit Cologne this summer, in order to score a bottle of Farina Gegenüber at the source.

You're absolutely right, without synthetics pefumery as we know it would not exist. I do believe however, that in case of Eaux de Colognes, whose essentially simple formulas hark from an earlier time, natural ingredients, and of the highest possible quality, are the key to excellence. Needless to say I don't mean to spoil anybody's enjoyment of 4711. We're talking freak level here anyway. Do have fun in Cologne and visit the Farina museum as well, if you have the time!

Hello goodlife. Thank you for the information. I must admit that I had a romantic notion of 4711 being this little scent that I could use in times of lighthearted contemplation of life's vicissitudes and other such drivel. I was utterly dissapointed when I finally got my chance to sniff it last year. I found it a bit astringent(synthetic?)and very sour as in lemon juice on my skin. Egads, I couldn't close the bottle fast enough. I eschewed eau de colognes and did not whiff of another till last week. Roger et Gallet this time. Yes, absolutely better than the 4711. Now before I'm thrown down the stairs by fans of 4711, let me say that this was just how it turned out on ME. I have noticed that many of the more synthetic scents simply don't get along with my skin. I know it is not completely correct to make a somewhat blanket statement like that because obviously some of the cheaper drugstore scents I like have at least a good amount of synthetics in them. I just think the cheaper citrus fragrance oils do not like my hide. Sine 4711 is evidently loaded with them it was just exacerbated. While edc is not an all time type of favourite scent for me, the R&G was just simply a full step up from 4711. I could imagine that barring a bad reaction from my chemistry, Aqua di Parma would be a good one for me. Especially with the floral components.

I have heard nothing but GREAT things about the original Roger et Gallet Jean Marie Farina edc. Your description is much more clear than others I've seen post who have posted about it. They didn't really elaborate on it, just stated that they like the older version better. I can see why. "it emphasizes the hesperides and herbs, so it is sharper, less sweet and warm." This sounds very nice to me. Is this scent still available? I get the sense we are talking about a discontinued fragrance. Thanks for the list of edc types scents. Just more encouragement to spend, spend, spend.LOL

Regards, Todd

The other Farina I was referrng to is the first and original Eau de Cologne, Farina Gegenüber dem Jülichsplatz, created 1709 in Cologne by Giovanni Maria Farina, known in Germany as Johann Maria. One of his relatives by the same name (Jean Marie) set up shop in Paris in 1806 and in the 1840s sold out to a company which then sold out to Roger&Gallet, which is how they came to own the rights and to produce an Jean Marie Farina (Extra Vieille). to make things more complicated, Farina Gegenüber Cologne was merged with R&G in 1975, but when R&G was taken over by the Gucci Group, the family bought back the firm, which is now run by the eight generation descendant of the originalk Farina, whose name is once again Johann Maria. I cannot say to what extent R&G has altered their formulation through the years and whether they resort to synthetics, or lower grade oils than they used to, but Farina Gegenüber claims to abide by the original all-natural formula - they should at about 50€ per bottle. Their marketing sucks however, you really can't get this stuff anywhere except in cologne, or, in Germany only, via manufactum.de. There are plenty of pseudo-Farina Colognes in circulation, so it's buyer beware.

I do believe however, that in case of Eaux de Colognes, whose essentially simple formulas hark from an earlier time, natural ingredients, and of the highest possible quality, are the key to excellence.

Point taken. That is indeed the difference between whimsy and excellence.

Top Bottom