What's new

QED Pine & Cedar

All, only a little over a month into DE shaving, I just received a batch of soaps from Charles @ QED [Pine/Cedar, Bathtub Gin stick and Lavender stick].

I have never used a glycerin soap before but took the Pine & Cedar for a test run this morning - very nice as I mention here.

It seemed that the soap both likes face lathering vs. bowl and also that it needs a bit more water to produce lather. Is this consistent with those more experienced? I use a Rooney 3/1 brush to build lather as an FYI.

Any other general tips to maximize the shave with QED/glycerin soaps?

Many thanks!

R

rodeo

All, only a little over a month into DE shaving, I just received a batch of soaps from Charles @ QED [Pine/Cedar, Bathtub Gin stick and Lavender stick].

I have never used a glycerin soap before but took the Pine & Cedar for a test run this morning - very nice as I mention here.

It seemed that the soap both likes face lathering vs. bowl and also that it needs a bit more water to produce lather. Is this consistent with those more experienced? I use a Rooney 3/1 brush to build lather as an FYI.

Any other general tips to maximize the shave with QED/glycerin soaps?

Many thanks!

I've not noticed a difference (as far as requiring more water) then any other glycerine soap. Maybe its' your technique or your choice of brush? And the brush you choose certainly has much more to do with the ability to either face lather or bowl lather. The soap doesnt care. I use QED soaps exclusively and love them. I get great lather via bowl, just as I do when I face lather with them. Again, alot has to do with brush choice and your own lather making ability / water content etc. The Pine & Cedarwood is one of my favorites as is the Fresh Lime too. (OK, so is Wild Orange, etc. etc.) His soaps excel (in my opinion,) in residual lubrication and touch up shaving can be performed using just water, after the lather is shaved away already. I've tried others but found his to be the best in that regard. QED is a few dollars more but you get what you pay for and besides, Charles only uses essential oils in his soaps, never any artificial fragrances. Thats why his selection list is limited to those soaps where EO's are available. :thumbup1:

Thanks Rodeo, very informative post per your usual! This is my first glycerin base soap actually and it seems a slightly different approach is necessary.

Do glycerin soaps in general require more water as a rule vs. tallow? I think that a better question.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!

R

rodeo

Thanks Rodeo, very informative post per your usual! This is my first glycerin base soap actually and it seems a slightly different approach is necessary.

Do glycerin soaps in general require more water as a rule vs. tallow? I think that a better question.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!
That I can't answer because I've never used tallow. In fact, I've only tried one cream and then decided that Glycerine was the way to go for me. I tried several soap makers (the most popular ones anyway) and once I realized how good these QEDs are, I decided to stick with them. (But that's just me.) All the glycerines seem to require the same amount of water though.

That I can't answer because I've never used tallow. In fact, I've only tried one cream and then decided that Glycerine was the way to go for me. I tried several soap makers (the most popular ones anyway) and once I realized how good these QEDs are, I decided to stick with them. (But that's just me.) All the glycerines seem to require the same amount of water though.
Thanks Ken, I was able to get where I needed and had a fantastic shave but was just more curious than anything.

I also did find that I was very much able to touch up without relathering fully which made trouble areas for me such as the chin a piece of cake.

Even as a newcomer, this soap is clearly a front runner in performance and quality not to mention the scent is very appealing to me. After shaving, my skin is in great shape as well. Enthusiastic endorsement from my side!

Can't wait to try the sticks as the Bathtub Gin also is right up my alley from a scent perspective!

R

rodeo

Thanks Ken, I was able to get where I needed and had a fantastic shave but was just more curious than anything.

I also did find that I was very much able to touch up without relathering fully which made trouble areas for me such as the chin a piece of cake.

Even as a newcomer, this soap is clearly a front runner in performance and quality not to mention the scent is very appealing to me. After shaving, my skin is in great shape as well. Enthusiastic endorsement from my side!

Can't wait to try the sticks as the Bathtub Gin also is right up my alley from a scent perspective!
I suggest you simply experiment with making bowl lather with it. Keep adding water a little at a time until its evident that its too much. Thats one of the simplest ways to learn how to make great lather with any new product.

I really like the fact that after doing my 3rd lathered pass, I can simply wet my hand and run it over my face to find touch up areas, and then shave them (short stroke them) and still feel the razor gliding over my face. Works like a charm every time and I attribute that to the QED soap. (I've tried it with others and you just don't get that same slick feel.).

And the reason I decided on glycerine soaps was simple, I just like the varied scents and fragrances which I switch up every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom