What's new

Classy & minty British Aristocrat

I've had a number of minty #66 Aristocrats and just got a #22 -- same exact razor as the #66 but in a different case. This particular set seems like it was never used and is in amazing condition. I may use it once or twice just to break it in, but it will be rarely used and saved for another 50+ years in my waterproof, fireproof display.

Just kidding... But maybe I should get myself one.

What a classy shaving implement! And at over 26 pounds sterling in 1949, quite an investment for its owner.

Jake, you get your hands on some amazing razors. Thanks for sharing.

I imagine that, given the price, these razors were only available to a small select group of people back when they were released. While it is still a significant investment to purchase one of these today it is only a fraction of the original cost.

Amazing!!

That's the equivalent of 680 Pounds Sterling today, or $1040.87 :w00t:

I just don't understand why GBP is worth so much more USD. Is our money really that worthless these days? The conversion rate has killed a number of razors from the UK I've wanted to buy. You see 8 GBP shipping and then realize shipping alone is 12.25 USD.

Lovely razor, for sure. That price is 26 shillings and 3 pence - about a pound and a third.

Last edited:
Thanks for correcting that error! My mistake and this corrected price makes much better sense.

Last edited:
I just don't understand why GBP is worth so much more USD. Is our money really that worthless these days? The conversion rate has killed a number of razors from the UK I've wanted to buy. You see 8 GBP shipping and then realize shipping alone is 12.25 USD.

The exchange rate used to be a few years ago, 2 to 1 in favor of the UK. I wonder why the prices of the English creams haven't dropped?

Lovely razor, for sure. That price is 26 shillings and 3 pence - about a pound and a third.

£1.35 in 1949 would be about £35.00 today. That comes out to $53.59, in today's dollars. and $5.85 in 1949 dollars.

So, if you had bought this razor new in 1949, never used it and kept in Pristine condition, would you have performed better than the stock market?

Received a #22 Aristocrat yesterday from a dear friend. (Well, according to the wiki it's a #22.) Cleaned it up and proceeded to have a fantastic shave with it. Perfectly balanced, it felt like an extension of my hand. Look forward to becoming better acquainted.

Is there a number stamped on the Aristocrats to identify them, or is it built into the design ?

They are beautiful works of engineering .

Top Bottom