What's new

Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima.
I heard this six words for the first time 29 years ago, when I was only 4.
I still remember that day, perfectly.
I was in Abruzzo (center Italy) with my Grandfather, the first real Old School Wet Shaver I’ve ever known.
It was a hot summer morning and my Granddaddy was there in the bathroom, close to the sink: a shaving brush on the shelf, a small mirror on the wall, a DE razor in his right hand, a towel on his left shoulder.
And a wonderful looking, creamy, white lather all over his face.
I asked him: “What are you doing?”
My Grandfather: “I’m shaving”
Me: “Why?”
My Grandfather: “Because a real Gentleman shaves, every morning”
Me: “What’s that on your face?”
My Grandfather: “Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima”
These six words, as already written above, after almost thirty years, are still in my head, in my heart, in my soul.
Excuse me my friends, but this is my way to honour my Grandfather, who passed away exactly four years ago.
And in order to honour him, I also want to honour Cella, his favourite shaving cream/soap.
Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima is an EXCELLENT tallow based soft soap and, in my opinion, the greatest soap ever produced in Italy, with over one hundred years of history.
Since its first introduction in 1899, it has been family made and it is still produced with the purest natural ingredients, using a century-old proven method that has been handed down for generations.
Here is the ingredients list: Cocos Nucifera Oil, Tallow, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Aqua, Potassium Carbonate, Parfum.
This ingredients list has truly remained unchanged over the years, to underline what has just been stated above.
Cella is produced in San Giuliano Milanese (Milano, north Italy) by a company called Nicky Chini Srl, about which a very few things are actually known.
And regarding this company I cannot tell anything else myself.
But I suppose this is really not that important, since Cella has already set its spot in the great Italian Old School, Barbershop tradition.
I began using Cella as soon as I started wet shaving, fifteen years ago.
This has been my very first soap and, to be honest, it’s the sole soap I’ve ever loved.
Cella is a true classic and comes in a huge red cardboard box, very old-fashioned, very cool, very beautiful.
On the top of this pack we read: “L’ottima qualità e l’alto rendimento sono il miglior regalo per il consumatore” (“The excellent quality and the high performance are the best gift for the customer”).
On the two sides of the pack we have: “Crema sapone di alto rendimento e di sorprendente dolcezza. Facilita la rasatura lasciando la pelle fresca senza irritarla. E’ un prodotto Cella” (“Cream soap of high performance and of great sweetness. Allows to shave leaving the skin fresh, with no irritation. It’s a Cella product”).
This eye-catching, unique pack contains a large 1000 g block of product, that is soft enough to be moulded into shape of any soap container.
And this product lasts forever.
No kidding.
I have a 1 Kg purchased one year ago, still more than half unused.
Its price, here in Rome, is between 8 € and 12 € per kilo and, therefore, Cella is also certainly the biggest bang for the buck, no doubt.
Its scent is of sweet almonds.
Something unique, particular, pleasant to my taste, that brings me back to distant memories.
The latherability of Cella is amazing: a peanut size of cream/soap develops tons of super thick, super slick, super moisturizing lather.
And this fantastic product is, on your skin, very protective, too.
Cella, as well-known in Italy during the 50’s and 60’s, leaves your face wonderfully soft, clean and smooth, like a “bambino” (“child”).
I could go on more and more, but I think it is not necessary.
This cream/soap is simply outstanding, under every aspect.
For the perfect shave: Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima.

Last edited:
Very nice story! Loved reading it.

I had the chance to try Cella soap myself, after a friend sent a slice of it.
I was blown away. It was the slickest, creamiest soap that I have tried. And it was a real pleasure lathering it.
And it shaved superbly. Great soap!!

Your story probably is one of the best, if not the best, stories I have read on this forum! Beautifully put! Loved the dialog of you and your grandfather :thumbup:. Simple and great!

I remember when I was very young, I loved the scent of Palmolive Cool, that my father used when shaving. He used to use a DE. Now he is using carts.. I tried to win him back over, but he's happier with carts.. But I will insist :biggrin1:
But I always keep a tube of Palmolive Cool. Just to remind me of those days...

Thank you for sharing such a great story!

Your story has pushed me off the fence, I have just placed my order:001_smile

I look forward to whipping up the creamy goodness>
Thanks again

regrads

Simon

+2, I have to find some of this soap to try out. How well does Cella keep?

I've had some for over a year and it is fine. It does change color a bit to a more yellowish that what you may receive it as. Sometimes it's pure white and sometimes it is an off-white when newly opened, don't worry it is still good.

Also great story. I love hearing folks talk about their flashbacks to their childhood sharing good memories.

Just posed a question about Cella, accidentally in the cream section. But, how does one get it out of the container and what method does one use to lather it? Thanks!

Just posed a question about Cella, accidentally in the cream section. But, how does one get it out of the container and what method does one use to lather it? Thanks!

Maybe I don't understand the question, but here goes...

It is no different from any other soap in how it is used, assuming you have it in the red plastic screw-top tub. If you bought the 1K block you should cut off a 100-150 gram chunk and push/mold it into any convenient container and then it is used like any other soap.

Other than loading up your brush, there is no need to "get it out of the container".

You scoop it out like silly putty or cut off a chunk and press that into a container of your choosing. How to lather it: you treat it as a soap. No presoaking necessary, just load the damp brush on the soap's surface for a while—don't use 3 second spins, please, it's called loading for a reason—and build further according to preference. Note that Cella's lather is very thick and that in the beginning you may inadvertedly use too much water to get it to the consistency you prefer.

Great review and great story! :001_smile. Cella is my #1 bar none. I have tried many, many, many creams and soaps. From high end to low end. Cella is so good I can't bring myself to use any others! I just tried P.160 which is very close, but no cigar. The scent of P.160 is probably just a bit better, but I find the performance of Cella to be better.

Last edited:
Thanks! My question had to do with how to load the brush with a "soft" soap, never having had one before. Usually I load the brush from atop the soap puck. But wasn't sure from the photo of the Cella container that it was big enough to do that. And, since it is "soft", thought maybe you put a dollop on the tip of the brush like I do with creams to face lather. Or put a dollop in a bowl to bowl lather. I understand, then, that you load it from the Cella bowl like any other soap.

Great story Marco. Thank you for sharing. Cella is one that is definitely on the short list for me to get.

But wasn't sure from the photo of the Cella container that it was big enough to do that. [...] I understand, then, that you load it from the Cella bowl like any other soap.
That little bowl isn't big enough. Just fish out the clump of soap and transfer it to a bowl with a wider and higher rim. There is no pixie dust in the red container which stops you from loading your brush or anything... If anything, the pixie dust is elsewhere since you'll get much better results there :001_cool:.

Top Bottom