What's new

Aqua Velva- 1 ....... Jwhiskercut- 0

It's been a few days since the following events occurred. I would have posted sooner, but it took me awhile to come to grips with my first defeat.

Recently, I've been struck with CAD & ASAD. When I spotted a glass bottle of Aqua Velva while shopping, and I decided to give it shot. I've conquered all the newbie scents that I've tried. I thought to myself, 'I'm ready to grab the bull by the horns and go toe-to-toe with a classic'. Upon first opening the bottle I was hit with a nice menthol kick with 'blue' tones and a pleasant musky/powdery base. I confidently splashed a little on my wrist to give it a test run..... That's when things went bad.

The top notes that were so pleasing, dissappeared quickly and decisively. Or maybe, they just decided to hang out in the bottle with their friends, and send Musk and Powder as representives of the Velva government, along with their 2nd cousin 'Too Sweet' (I think his real name is Larry), who usually shows up to family barbeques drunk and get's loud and obnoxious.

As it dried down, I come to fully respect the great complexity in this classic fragrance, and how each level of dry down elevated my looming nauseua and impending headache. :blink:

I stuck with it though, as I was still holding out hope that a complete dry down would reveal the magical tones that would work with my skin chemistry. I put up a valient effort through the first rounds, I think I may have even outpointed AV in a few of the later rounds. When the bell sounded for the 15th round though, I couldn't exit my corner. SWMBO, who had been with me for the entire thing, threw in the towel, along with the soap and told me to wash my arm. (Apparently AV had threw a few cheap shots at her sensitive stomach while I was dazed in the middle rounds)

After several vigorous washings and a couple of tylenol, I called it a night. I was proud of my effort, but embarrassed at the results. SWMBO consolled me with a 'Don't feel bad, you really whooped that CO Bigelow Blue the other night.', but I knew it was a hollow victory. One of the real vets showed me how much I have yet to learn.

I will say, AV is definitely a class act, but I'll leave it to the pros. Maybe I'll train real hard and by this winter, I'll spar with Lilac Vegetal. I have a feeling, the wife will NOT be in my corner for that one. :lol:

Wow, sorry to hear about your results. Certainly not every cologne/AS is suited for everyone. Seems you gave it a valiant effort and went the full 15 which is more than a lot of guys would do. After you recover, get up off the mat and give it another go.

I am happy to report, however, that of all the AS/ASB/colognes that I have tried my own SWMBO (a younger, hot little Filipina) has as her favorites Pinaud Clubman and AV. They happen to be my two favorites, too, so I lucked out!!

I hope that you'll find the cheap...err... "classic" AS that you both love!

-Greg

Good try...
I do recommend you take on the blue on another day. Perhaps you were having a bad day with it. Perhaps you didnt have enough vitamin C or amino's the day before.

In either case, you did great going 15 rounds....

I can tell you I lasted <2 mins in the ring with LV. It pee'd on me, and I just walked away. It just doesnt fight fair.

Larry...who usually shows up to family barbeques drunk and get's loud and obnoxious.

I have a cousin Larry just like that, only he smells like weed.

(I only like AV's Musk, but even that's marginal...it's ok in a pinch, not a rebuy. The other AVs, meh).

Have you tried AV Ice Sport? I know a few people that don't like AV Ice Blue, Musk or Original Sport(Canada only), but they like Ice Sport. The only downside is it comes in a plastic bottle.

The funny thing is that, if you keep at it for a couple of more tries, you'll probably get to the point where you don't even smell it once you get it on. It's strangely easy to adapt to scents.

Well, the AV went to another home, and the bottle has become the new home to my Barbasol Pacific Rush Splash. :thumbup1:

I got up the courage and tried a few other classics this week, but I'll post about them on another day. SWMBO has vetoed some of my choices, so I don't know if they'll classify as wins or not... Maybe a split decision. :biggrin1:

I know I mostly like it because it smells like my Dad when I was a kid in the 60s. If not for that I'm not so sure I'd like it at all!

Well, if you can't handle this classic as an aftershave, it's a great dessert topping.

proxy.php

There's something about an Aqua Velva flan.

Top Bottom