What's new

Rolls Razor, its care and feeding

To all B&B members:

W B K requested that I do a thread on the care and feeding of the Rolls razor, so here goes:

I was given one as a present on my 16th birthday, in 1949, from an Uncle (by marriage) who was an engineer, raised and educated in Austria before coming to the US in the mid 1930's. My father, a mechanical engineer (Univ of Iowa, 1900) gave me some valuable instruction in both the manly art of shaving and the care of the equipment.

I have used it on a nearly daily basis ever since. It still has the original strop, the hone replaced in the 1950's as a result of dropping it onto the steel deck of a destroyer during some rather heavy weather. The blade is also the original.

I have found the razor to be more than satisfactory. I used to leave it at home when I was on road trips during the 60's and 70's, largely because I didn't want to chance losing it, and because it is heavy, and in the pre-jet days, luggage was strictly limited by weight! I also carried tube of shaving/cream and jell on these trips. I must confess I was always more than glad to get home and back to the Rolls and brush!

One final "confession", my beard grows about the average for white males, and is not particularly tough. This will have a bearing for anyone who might want to follow my practices.

The first thing has to do with the strop. I keep strop dressing handy, and as soon as any light spots begin to appear, I re-dress it. It doesn't take much, but remember that the strop dressing not only keeps the leather supple, it also contains a polishing compound similar to jewelers rouge. I found that I only needed to add dressing every month or so. It doesn't take much, just a little dab and worked into the leather where the blade makes contact.

When the blade is honed, if you look at the edge through a microscope, you would see ridges and "saw teeth" along the cutting edge. If you are going to cut through a piece of rope, that is fine, but not for your beard. You want to cut the beard and not the face (duh!):blink:

The purpose of stropping is twofold. The first is to smooth out these ridges, polish them, if you will. This is what gives you a smooth shave.

The second purpose is the instruction given to strop the blade after shaving (Rolls instruction sheet) This removes any water remaining on the blade to keep any rust from starting. I would also add here that the instruction sheet says to shake the water from the hole in the flat end of the blade opposite the edge, I find it easier to hold the blade by the guard and blow the water out. Once a month or so, I put a drop of oil in there (using sewing machine oil or the like), one drop is plenty. Probably a Q-tip dipped in oil would work as well, if not better. Is this necessary? probably not, once the water is either shaken or blown out, but I get paranoid about rust, especially on irreplaceable machinery.

I oil the hone, again using something like sewing machine oil, or gun oil. Why do I keep saying sewing machine oil? Some of the utility oils have vegetable oil in them and hat can oxidize and form a gummy coating. You don't want that on any part of the razor!

How often does one use the hone? The answer is, depends on your beard. As I said before, mine is not particularly tough. I grew a full beard in the late 1960's (for a centennial celebration) and have never shaved it off completely. I still shave on a daily basis to keep things looking neat, and keeping the shape to where I like it. When I was clean shaven, it would need to be honed only about once every six weeks or so. I would use the hone only when the razor started to "drag".

About 15-30 strokes in each direction seemed to do the job. Then 60 on the strop. The secret to good honing is to go slowly, don't slam the blade against the hone, you are not trying to beat it into submission!:biggrin1:

Finally, the rack mechanism which flips the blade. I take the hone and strop off the case, remove the blade and handle. I check the rack and pinion under a strong light for any signs of rust. So far I only had a problem when I was aboard the destroyer back in the 1950's. A small dab of lithium grease on each side of the rack, then run the handle back and forth until the grease is well distributed, with a cloth remove any excess.

NEVER get any oil or grease on the shaft with the clip that holds the blade. You will destroy the friction which hold the blade against the strop and hone.

Even the best razor will not give a good shave if the beard is not prepped. Contrary to the TV ads, the purpose of the lather is not to hold the beard up so it can be cut by the first blade of a multi-blade razor. The purpose of lather is to lubricate the cutting edge so it will do a more efficient job, and slid over the skin. If you are drilling a hold in a piece of iron, a drop of oil will make the drill bit cut faster, cleaner and with less effort. This is what the soapy water does when shaving.

This is the process my Father taught me; and it was a wonderful rite of passage, and a marvelous male bonding experience!

First, wash your face with hot water and soap. (OK, if you are taking a shower, that will do too, at the time we didn't have a shower, and took a full bath only once a week!) This will remove the day's accumulation of natural oils your skin puts out.

While you are doing this, fill the soap cup with water and let both the soap and brush soak in hot water. Then dump out the excess water, and start the lathering process. I won't go into that here, except to say you want a thick, creamy lather, almost like ready whip but not nearly tastey.

Apply a generous amount to your face, and while it is soaking the beard, now is the time to strop your Rolls razor, about 30-60 strokes. Remove the blade, attach the handle and start shaving. I prefer to use short strokes, but you know your own face better than I do, and I trust you have found a method that works.

Go over the area twice, once with the grain, once against it. Then rinse the razor in the hot water, pull the plug, and use the brush to clean all the stubble out of the basin as the water drains. Squeeze any excess water out of the brush, and hang it up to air dry.

Dry the razor blade, remove the handle, blow the water out of the hole, and strop for about 15-20 strokes to remove any possible water from the cutting edge.

If you are still bleeding, use styptic power or pencil (alum) to stop the bleeding. Now aftershave lotion is in order. Whatever you prefer.

I have followed this procedure for over 60 years, and my Rolls Viscount is still working fine. The case has scratches and a few dings there is a cut on the strop (I'm not sure how it got there) and the hone still is flat enough to do a good job.

Interestingly, my father (born in 1879) never used a safety razor, until shortly before his death in 1965, he always used a straight razor (and on occasion when necessary, the strop on me.:blush:)

I hope this helps those who have this marvelous piece of shaving machinery. There are a lot of them on E-bay for reasonable prices. Just be sure to read the description carefully, and if any questions, ask before you bid. Rust spots on the cutting edge can be honed away, it just takes time.

I hope this is of some help.

Great post, thanks! I am one of the guys trying to get good shaves from my Rolls Razor, and your tips are greatly appreciated.

Always great to hear from someone using the Rolls!:thumbup1: I've managed to find a couple of usable blades and really enjoy using them. I don't do it nearly enough though. I also like to blow out the blade hole, but then I jam a cotton swab in there a couple of times to (hopefully) pick up the remainder of the water.

Fantastic post!! I have used a rolls many times...I think at last count I have 6 complete sets! :w00t: I think I will use one today...I have been inspired!! :)

It took three different purchases to get a full Rolls Razor for myself. The first was my "mistake" where I bought it without a blade, cracked hone, but with full paperwork. My next was a set with blade and all, but no handle. My third was a Christie razor that happened to have a Rolls handle in the box.

Has anyone ever had someone tell them it's a "Rolls Royce Razor"?

Sorry to go off thread a bit here but talking about a rolls i saw a great set in a antique store last weekend, it was in a lovely presentation case which was like a little cabinet and included the razor, brush in a metal container plus 2 other metal containers, i was to scared to look in case i wanted it and i just bought 4 straights:001_smile

Thanks for putting that together! The advice of a lifelong Rolls user is invaluable! :thumbup:

I have been very selective of my Rolls purchases. I was lucky that my first one was like new. No problems with the strop, hone, mechanism or blade. About a minute of stopping and it was good to go! Unfortunately I think the Rolls gets a bad name at times due to it being put in use when it is not ready! Dried out/uneven surface strops, broken hones, razors with rough edges, grease on the shaft, etc are all very common problems I see on eBay and antique store "finds". If the Rolls was a bad razor, I don't think they would have sold so many for so many years! The Rolls takes a little more work than most vintage razors to get back into "shave ready" state, but it is well worth it! It is stunningly beautiful and a joy to shave with :thumbup1:

Now on to the questions!

1: What do you use for strop paste? I currently use Thiers-Issard No. 260 strop paste. It works well, but might be a bit aggressive as the safety bar leaves grey residue on the strop fairly quickly.

2: At what speed do you hone those 15-30 strokes? The Rolls literature differs on this. For example on my '30s era Rolls, it says to: "Move the operating handle backwards and forwards at a speed of 120 single strokes a minute and continue for at least half a minute." If I am reading that correctly, that is 30 strokes forward, and 30 backwards in 30 seconds. To me that seems a little too fast to not slam the blade on the hone! On the later models, it only mentions to: "give the blade about 50 double strokes (so 100 forward/100 back)", but no elapsed time is given. I go slow enough so that the blade does not slam down on the hone. I hear 2 clicks... one as the safety bar contacts the hone and another as the blade contacts the hone. I'd say my speed is about 20 forward/20 back in 30 seconds.

3: At what speed do you strop? Rolls literature only says to stop "briskly" or "vigorously" My speed is probably 45 forward/45 back in 30 seconds. I see that you give it about 60 strokes.. is that double or single stroke?

If you could provide pictures or video of what works for you, it would probably be a great help to those who are struggling with their Rolls! :001_smile

Was the entire system ever made in stainless steel? If so, I would like to know which model.

Thank you

The Rolls was available Nickel plated, Silver plated and Gold plated. There is also an aluminum Imperial No. 2 that was probably manufactured during WW2 (although my 1952 model is aluminum still).

The stainless steel model is the Imperial No. 3.

Thanks for putting that together! The advice of a lifelong Rolls user is invaluable! :thumbup:

I have been very selective of my Rolls purchases. I was lucky that my first one was like new. No problems with the strop, hone, mechanism or blade. About a minute of stopping and it was good to go! Unfortunately I think the Rolls gets a bad name at times due to it being put in use when it is not ready! Dried out/uneven surface strops, broken hones, razors with rough edges, grease on the shaft, etc are all very common problems I see on eBay and antique store "finds". If the Rolls was a bad razor, I don't think they would have sold so many for so many years! The Rolls takes a little more work than most vintage razors to get back into "shave ready" state, but it is well worth it! It is stunningly beautiful and a joy to shave with :thumbup1:

Now on to the questions!

1: What do you use for strop paste? I currently use Thiers-Issard No. 260 strop paste. It works well, but might be a bit aggressive as the safety bar leaves grey residue on the strop fairly quickly.

2: At what speed do you hone those 15-30 strokes? The Rolls literature differs on this. For example on my '30s era Rolls, it says to: "Move the operating handle backwards and forwards at a speed of 120 single strokes a minute and continue for at least half a minute." If I am reading that correctly, that is 30 strokes forward, and 30 backwards in 30 seconds. To me that seems a little too fast to not slam the blade on the hone! On the later models, it only mentions to: "give the blade about 50 double strokes (so 100 forward/100 back)", but no elapsed time is given. I go slow enough so that the blade does not slam down on the hone. I hear 2 clicks... one as the safety bar contacts the hone and another as the blade contacts the hone. I'd say my speed is about 20 forward/20 back in 30 seconds.

3: At what speed do you strop? Rolls literature only says to stop "briskly" or "vigorously" My speed is probably 45 forward/45 back in 30 seconds. I see that you give it about 60 strokes.. is that double or single stroke?

If you could provide pictures or video of what works for you, it would probably be a great help to those who are struggling with their Rolls! :001_smile

answers 1: I bought a partial box of the Rolls strop dressing in 1960 (five or six as I remember. I use very little at a time, and I have about 1/2 can left (each can holds about 1 fluid ounce). When it is gone, I'll find something that feels right, whatever that is. I suspect that it is jeweler's rouge, and a fine grit, probably 3-5 micron.

2: I hone fairly slowly, so I hear the double click, would guess about 60 strokes/minute, that is counting each side of the blade as one stroke. I see no real reason to go more quickly, as it isn't the speed but the movement across the abrasive surface that does the job.

Sorry, but I have no means of producing a video, I'm afraid that I am well behind the modern technology in that manner.

Hope this helps

found a video on the Rolls group it demonstrates the shaving technique I also use

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=1754

hope this helps some,

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have no means of producing a video, I'm afraid that I am well behind the modern technology in that manner.
Even if you can't produce a video, you could copy this valuable info over to the ShaveWiki on B&B. It will be a great boon to anyone (like me) who has a Rolls Razor in their collection, but is uncertain what to do with it.

And where does one go for replacement parts, specifically, the strop and hone? I doubt we'd be able to find OEM pieces anymore, but it seems like these two items would be fairly easy to reproduce generically.

Even if you can't produce a video, you could copy this valuable info over to the ShaveWiki on B&B. It will be a great boon to anyone (like me) who has a Rolls Razor in their collection, but is uncertain what to do with it.

And where does one go for replacement parts, specifically, the strop and hone? I doubt we'd be able to find OEM pieces anymore, but it seems like these two items would be fairly easy to reproduce generically.

Right now there is, sadly, no place that sells parts. I am sure there is somewhere, a garage, or storage room, or pod full of spare parts, but no one on this forum knows where it is.

Strops can be made from any high-grade top-grain leather. You don't need a lot, just cut it to size, and look at the back of the old one and make an adhesive strip and glue it in. You can buy belt blanks from Tandy Leather which are sold for tooling, you would need one about 2" wide, and of course have a lot left over.

Then liberally work in both oil and the stropping compound (lots of places on the web, maybe even a barber supply house if you can get your local friendly barber to buy you a tube. It needs to be rather fine. I think that the Rolls strop dressing is both jeweler's rouge and a fine (probably 3-5 micron) grit.

As for the hone, that is something else altogether. Currently I am working on developing a replacement using a hard backing and silicon carbide emery paper. (AKA wet or dry sandpaper as used in auto body shops). As soon as I get it working right, I'll post with pictures and a description.

The problem, as I see it, is that the OEM hone was a manufactured stone, precisely 5/32" thick. It is fragile, and I don't know of any simple way of making the carborundum into a sheet that thin and then cutting it to fit. It takes a lot of complicated and expensive machinery to do it.

So what I am doing now is trying to find a suitable sub-strate which will be firm enough to do the job but not as brittle as the old stone. Glass is beautifully flat, but very fragile. (I use a 1/2" thick slab in my shop, then glue the silicone Carbide paper onto it with spray-on adhesive).

I have used the silicone carbide wet paper to flatten plane irons and sharpen chisels in my wood shop, so I know it does a good job, now just to get it to work properly in a Rolls razor.

The only current solution is to buy one for parts. Just be sure to read the description carefully and if it doesn't mention the condition of the stone (hone), then ASK!) Just a word of caution, you have to bend the lip back on the end of the lid opposite the clips to get the stone out. It is a devilish job!

hope this helps.

It took three different purchases to get a full Rolls Razor for myself. The first was my "mistake" where I bought it without a blade, cracked hone, but with full paperwork. My next was a set with blade and all, but no handle. My third was a Christie razor that happened to have a Rolls handle in the box.

Has anyone ever had someone tell them it's a "Rolls Royce Razor"?

Sorry to take this long to answer you on this one. There is no connection between the Rolls-Royce auto/aircraft engine manufacturer and the Rolls razor. It is my guess that they chose the name for either or both the following reasons.

Someone in the company was named Rolls, it is possible you know. It is also possible, but not very likely, that someone in the Rolls family backed the invention and start up of the company. (Rolls was the money behind the auto, and Royce was the engineering brains.)

The second is that it was deliberately chosen to trade on the name recognition of the car. They couldn't call it Rolls-Royce, that would be illegal and the Rolls-Royce company is extremely jealous of its name and (understandably) defends their exclusive right to it. To me this sounds most plausible.)

Yes I have heard that it is the RR of razors.

I just got a Rolls Imperial that is NOS. The blade is still greased and wrapped in the original paper. Hone and strop have never been touched. It was purchased in Portland Oregon in 1947, (have the receipt -$15.00) but it might have been made a good bit before that.

My my Father gave one to my Grandfather in the late 40s early 50s, and I inherited 40 years ago, but subsequently broke the hone and lost the razor some where. I have been looking for a really good one and found this one on Ebay in Portland. I originally planned to use it, but I'm having second thoughts because it is so pristine. Maybe I should buy a good used one, and save this one.

Thoughts anyone?

I just got a Rolls Imperial that is NOS. The blade is still greased and wrapped in the original paper. Hone and strop have never been touched. It was purchased in Portland Oregon in 1947, (have the receipt -$15.00) but it might have been made a good bit before that.

My my Father gave one to my Grandfather in the late 40s early 50s, and I inherited 40 years ago, but subsequently broke the hone and lost the razor some where. I have been looking for a really good one and found this one on Ebay in Portland. I originally planned to use it, but I'm having second thoughts because it is so pristine. Maybe I should buy a good used one, and save this one.

Thoughts anyone?

It's a family heirloom. I'd use it. It's what your grandfather would have wanted!

I have 2 rolls, one is in a leather case with a spare blade in a pouch of the case, must be aluminium, as its very light, and looks virtually untouched, the other one i am sure is ons, its in the box, instructions, unopened spare blade and a unopened spare hone, going to give the leather cased one a try soon.

Just took delivery of a Rolls Imperial No.2, in spectacular condition. Complete with outer red cardboard box (makes it 30s vintage!?), all paperwork,
it looks like it's never even been used.

The strop looks like it has been used a few swipes in each direction, it's unscathed and supple.

I'll continue to read up, and let you know how it goes. Planning to give this a slow run on Sunday morning.:thumbup:

Top Bottom